I know meal planning saves money. I know that if I just take 15 minutes to figure out what we’re having for dinner for the next 7 days, the rest of my week goes SO MUCH SMOOTHER.
But I also know that sometimes, things don’t always work out as planned.
That’s why there’s Instant Pot BBQ Chicken!
PS… In my course Grocery Budget Bootcamp, I teach my students the importance of always having a back-up plan when things don’t go smoothly.
Here’s why you should make these
- Fast – We know the Instant Pot gets dinner on the table fast, but depending on the type of chicken you use, dinner can be ready with 6 minutes of cooking time.
- Easy – You only REALLY need two ingredients – can it get any easier?
- Tasty – If your favorite BBQ sauce tastes as good as my homemade BBQ sauce, then you can’t go wrong!
- Need a back up plan for dinner? This BBQ chicken recipe is perfect! You can use chicken breasts, legs, thighs, fresh or frozen.
Psst! Want to kick this up a notch? Try finishing this recipe with a pinch of finishing salt! I love Ava Jane’s Kitchen because it doesn’t have microplastics (gross, right?) and it’s SO GOOD! Plus, you can get a bag for just 1¢!! Just add a pinch to the top of the chicken before serving for extra savory flavor! (Get your penny bag of salt on this page.)
Quick Note on the Chicken
I usually get my chicken from Costco since they tend to have great prices on organic chicken. But I’ve also tried chicken from Butcher Box and it was really good! It’s a great option if you want organic pastured chicken and can’t find it locally.
Butcher Box delivers grass-fed beef, pasture-raised and organic chicken, and heritage pork directly to your front door each month. You can read my honest review on Butcher Box here, and also my updated Butcher Box review here.
7+ LBS OF FREE MEAT
The search for high-quality meat ends here. Amazing taste. Humanely raised. Delivered to your door. Sign up today and get ribeyes, drumsticks, and burgers FREE in your first box. Click this link to claim the offer!
Step by Step Instructions
Step 1. Place ingredients in the Instant Pot.
Step 2. Close the Instant Pot and turn the sealing valve to “sealing.”
Step 3. Press “pressure cook” or “manual,” make sure the pressure is set to “high” and adjust the timer to 15 minutes if using fresh chicken, or 25 minutes if using frozen chicken.
Step 4. Let the pressure release naturally.
Step 5. Remove the chicken from the Instant Pot and place on a plate.
Step 6. Shred the chicken with two forks and place the meat back into the pot, stirring with its juices.
Step 7. Serve hot!
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- No matter which you pick, top with your favorite BBQ sauce, this Instant Pot BBQ chicken, plus cheese and BAM – dinner is done.
- This homemade BBQ chicken is SO GOOD! You can make it with chicken breast, legs, thighs, fresh or frozen. It comes out quick and great for a back up plan!
- Don’t forget to save the chicken skin for homemade chicken stock (your choice, slow cooker chicken stock or Instant Pot chicken stock!)
The BBQ sauce should NOT be placed in the Instant Pot first. The sauce can burn on the bottom, so put the chicken in first, then top with the sauce.
If your chicken breast winds up with a rubbery texture, it most likely means that you need to cook it a bit longer. In general, the Instant Pot does better with longer cook times for meat.
Yes, you most certainly can!
Yes, you can make Instant Pot BBQ chicken with frozen chicken! I’m including a time variation in the recipe just for you.
To Serve BBQ Chicken
In case you’re wondering what you should do with Instant Pot BBQ chicken – besides eat it – here’s some of our favorite ways to serve it:
- Both Instant Pot BBQ chicken and my homemade bun recipe freeze well, which means BBQ chicken sandwiches for dinner now AND later.
- Or you can go the grilled cheese route – a few slices of No-knead Artisan Bread (because it tastes similarly to sourdough), a scoop of BBQ chicken and a couple slices of cheddar? YUM.
Doesn’t a BBQ chicken bacon ranch salad sound SO GOOD?! Use this recipe with the BBQ chicken from this post!
If BBQ chicken pizza doesn’t win you over, I don’t know WHAT will… just pick your jam:
- New York Style thin crust
- American-style thick crust
- Easy Homemade Pizza Bagels Recipe
- Cast-iron skillet pizza
More Quick and Easy Recipes
Hands-Free CookingLearn the secrets to getting dinner done faster by hacking your kitchen appliances, plus 30+ recipes to fuel your family!
Watch How to Make Instant Pot BBQ Chicken
Instant Pot BBQ Chicken
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15-25 minutes
- Total Time: 20-30 minutes
- Yield: Varies
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup your favorite BBQ sauce
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar (optional)
- 2 Tbsp liquid aminos or soy sauce (optional)
- 2 – 2 1/2 lbs chicken (thawed or frozen), skin removed**
- 1 onion, sliced into rings (optional)
- Place Ingredients in the Instant Pot.
- Close the Instant Pot and turn the sealing valve to “sealing.”
- Press “pressure cook” or “manual;” make sure the pressure is set to “high” and adjust the timer to 15 minutes if using fresh chicken, or 25 minutes if using frozen chicken.
- Let the pressure release naturally.
- Remove the chicken from the Instant Pot and place on a plate.
- Shred the chicken with two forks and place the meat back into the pot, stirring with its juices.
- Serve hot!
- Serving Size: 4 ounces
- Calories: 313
Keywords: Instant Pot BBQ Chicken