These black bean brownies are made with 9 REAL food ingredients! This recipe is so quick and easy that you may want to satisfy your sweet tooth every week with it! They’re flour-less, vegan-friendly, and simply delicious!
One of the biggest ways we save money is by making things from scratch that I’d ordinarily buy at the store, like hot pockets and instant oatmeal packets. Our family was craving a sweet chocolate treat so I developed a healthy recipe for black bean brownies…
Now you’re probably thinking there’s no way that something WITH beans and WITHOUT sugar could even remotely, possibly be good.
Not only do these super moist brownies taste SO amazing with a rich, fudgy chocolate taste, but it’s a such a great recipe because these brownies are:
- Made with 9 ingredients that are all 100% real food.
- Very allergy friendly– NO gluten, dairy, or eggs! (Just double check your chocolate chips if you are baking dairy free).
- NO refined sugar– sweetened with maple syrup ! (double check those chocolate chips!)
- Made with BEANS…without a bean taste! Need I say more?
- LESS ingredients than processed brownies like Little Debbies, AND we’re avoiding the especially harmful ingredients like hydrogenated oils (bad-for-you vegetable oils) and high fructose corn syrup.
I hope I have convinced you that these black bean brownies are quite possibly the best thing that will happen to you this year!
Here’s What You Need
- Black beans
- Maple syrup
- Coconut oil
- Vanilla (try my homemade recipe)
- Cocoa Powder
- Baking Powder
- Mini Chocolate Chips
- Chopped Walnuts, optional
Notes on Ingredients
There are some recipes that call for instant coffee, which doesn’t turn out with a taste like coffee, but deepens the chocolate flavor of the brownies even more. Although I haven’t tested it in this recipe, I’m sure it’s a delicious option. Let me know if you try it!
Step by Step Instructions
Step 3. Fold in the chocolate chips.
Step 4. Spread the brownie batter in the baking dish.
Step 5. Bake. Cool. Enjoy!!!
Are you looking for something to put on as a topping? Try a pinch of salt on these delicious black bean brownies!
Psst! If you’re going to add salt, I highly recommend Ava Jane’s Kitchen. You may think all salt is created equal, but unfortunately, 90% of salt produced around the world contains microplastics (gross, right?). Ava Jane’s Kitchen is an exception. Their salt is 100% microplastic free, and it’s SO GOOD! Plus, you can get a bag for just 1¢!! (Get your penny bag of salt on this page.)
Black beans are a great source of protein, quality carbohydrates and fiber! They are also low in fat and contain magnesium, zinc, phosphorus, and several minerals.
This recipe is made without using gluten ingredients! Just be sure to check the oats and the chocolate chips to be sure that they are without gluten, if necessary for you.
Yes! Since they are made with only 9 simple real-food ingredients, they are much healthier to eat than processed box brownie mixes or packaged brownies with unhealthy ingredients like Little Debbies.
According to Harvard Medical School, black beans are loaded with fiber, protein and a ton of other nutrients. It’s a great idea to make them a regular part of your diet!
I can’t mention enough that these brownies are free of refined sugar (even store bought brown sugar is refined sugar), and sweetened with natural maple syrup, which is real food that our bodies recognize as food!
More Dessert Recipes
- Triple Fudgy Paleo Brownies
- Homemade Yellow Cake Mix
- White Bean Blondies
- Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Berry Pie
$50 Weekly Meal PlanSign up to get instant access to my $50 Weekly Meal Plan, complete with recipes and shopping list!
Watch How to Make Tasty Black Bean Brownies
Black Bean Brownies
These black bean brownies are super quick & easy. With 9 REAL food ingredients, you’ll want to satisfy your sweet tooth every week! They’re flour-less, vegan-friendly, and simply delicious!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 18 minutes
- Total Time: 28 minutes
- Yield: 12 brownies 1x
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Blender
- Cuisine: American
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Grease an 8×8 baking dish or line with parchment paper.
- In a high powdered blender OR in a food processor, combine the ingredients in the order listed.
- Process the ingredients until the batter is ultra smooth, approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Fold in ¼ cup of the chocolate chips.
- Spread the batter evenly in the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips and nuts (if using) on top of the batter.
- Bake in the oven for 15-18 minutes, until the brownies are cooked through and set.
- Allow to cool thoroughly before cutting.
- This recipe is easy to double. Use a 9×13 pan and bake for 17-18 minutes so that the center is thoroughly cooked through.
- If you don’t want to go through the trouble of folding in the chocolate chips (and dirtying another bowl), you can sprinkle them all on top. Alternatively, you can fold all the chocolate chips in too. My kids liked having the small bits of chocolate on top.
- I’ve made these with canned beans and dry beans cooked from scratch and we preferred the tasted of dried beans from scratch, although the canned beans came in a close second. If you use canned beans, be sure to rinse them thoroughly (until the water runs clear) before using.
- Calories: 199
Keywords: Black Bean Brownies