This homemade yellow cake mix tastes better than any store-bought mix! Using real food ingredients from the pantry, making this recipe from scratch is easy! Use this cake mix in some of my favorite desserts, like Mini Chocolate Chip Scones and Slow Cooker Peach Cobbler.
Have you ever found a recipe that called for “just 5 ingredients,” but one of those ingredients was a box of cake mix? There are many great recipes out there (like this Blueberry Cobbler) that start with a box of yellow cake mix.
However, if you read the ingredients on the side of the boxed cake, you’ll see that there are 26 ingredients in a box of store-bought yellow cake… and 4 of the top 5 ingredients to avoid in food are included in that list!
THE BEST YELLOW CAKE MIX
The best cake mix from scratch is free from hydrogenated oils, easy to make, and healthier than store-bought!
Plus it can be made gluten-free! With the price of a gluten-free cake mix, this recipe will save you money and still taste amazing!
In my pre-real food days, I’ve had classic yellow cake mixes from Betty Crocker and Duncan Hines. This homemade super moist yellow cake beats out the box mix every time!
Topped with chocolate buttercream, it’s the perfect birthday cake! (This Peanut Butter Frosting is excellent too!)
SIMPLE INGREDIENTS FOR THE FLUFFIEST YELLOW CAKE MIX
- All-purpose flour or Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-free 1-to-1 Baking Flour
- Granulated sugar
- Baking powder
HOW TO MAKE CAKE MIX
BEST YELLOW CAKE RECIPE
- 1 batch of homemade yellow cake mix (recipe below)
- unsalted butter
- coconut oil
- vanilla extract (here’s how to make it homemade)
HOW TO MAKE YELLOW CAKE FROM SCRATCH
Step 2. Add the dry ingredients (homemade cake mix) and mix on low until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
Step 3. Add the remaining ingredients and mix on low until all the ingredients are incorporated well about 30 seconds.
Step 4. Butter and flour your cake pan(s) and bake at 350F. Use the following bake time:
- 9″x13″ glass pan for sheet cake, bake 25-30 minutes
- 9″ round cake pans, bake 20-25 minutes
- For cupcakes, bake 12-15 minutes (try these silicone baking cups for easy removal from the liner!)
- For a bundt pan bake 20-25 minutes
Note: The cake is made when a toothpick or butter knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before adding vanilla or chocolate frosting (or your favorite cake topping).
Follow the instructions for yellow cake with homemade cake mix. Pour batter into a 12-cup cupcake tin. (I like using these silicone baking cups.) Bake 12-15 minutes at 350F until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool before frosting. We love chocolate buttercream frosting!
TURN YELLOW CAKE MIX INTO A GIFT
What flavor is yellow cake mix?
Yellow cake refers to the flavor of vanilla custard (this is the classic French way of making ice cream from cream and egg yolks). This flavor mimics the custard taste by including the yolks.
What is the difference between a white cake mix and a yellow cake mix?
The difference between the white mix and the yellow mix is in the wet ingredients: eggs. White cakes use only egg whites. However, yellow cakes have the whole egg and the yolk, which gives them that custard flavor and color.
What can I add to the yellow cake mix?
How can I make a gluten-free yellow cake?
You can make a gluten-free yellow cake by using a 1:1 gluten-free flour mix in this recipe. I like Bob’s Red Mill.
EASY YELLOW CAKE MIX RECIPES
MORE CAKE RECIPES
- Homemade Chocolate Cake Mix
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake
- Homemade Lemon Cake Mix
- Healthy Pumpkin Cake
Fight Inflation WorkshopSign up for my FREE Fight Inflation Workshop and learn simple strategies to save money, even with rising food costs!
Watch How to Make Homemade Yellow Cake
Homemade Yellow Cake Mix
This homemade yellow cake mix tastes better than any store-bought mix! Using real food ingredients from the pantry, making this recipe from scratch is easy! Use this cake mix in some of my favorite desserts, like mini chocolate chip scones and slow cooker peach cobbler.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: Makes the equivalent of one 18.25 oz box of yellow cake mix
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bowl
- Cuisine: American
For Cake Mix:
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour or Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-free 1-to-1 Baking Flour
- 1 ¼ cups granulated sugar
- 3 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
For Cake Mix:
- Measure out the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Layer in a mason jar to store for later or add to a large bowl for making cake now.
- In a stand mixer using the paddle attachment in the large bowl, beat the butter and coconut oil on medium for 2 minutes.
- Add the dry ingredients (homemade yellow cake mix) and mix on low until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix on low until all the ingredients are incorporated well, about 30 seconds.
- Butter and flour your cake pan(s) and bake at 350F. Use the following bake time:
Note: The cake is done when a toothpick or butter knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before adding vanilla or chocolate frosting (or your favorite cake topping).
- Calories: 98
Keywords: homemade yellow cake mix