This homemade yellow cake mix tastes better than any store-bought mix! Using real food ingredients from the pantry, making this recipe from scratch is easy! Use this cake mix in some of my favorite desserts, like mini chocolate chip scones and slow cooker peach cobbler. You can make chocolate cake mix from scratch too!
Have you ever found a recipe that had “just 3 ingredients,” but one of those ingredients was a box of cake mix? Did you know that there are 26 ingredients in a box of yellow cake mix?
And did you know that 4 of the top 5 ingredients to avoid in food are included in that list?
I found a simple solution to avoid harmful ingredients in boxed cake mix: making it homemade!
Homemade yellow cake mix is SO easy – it requires only 4 ingredients – AND you likely already have everything you need to make it in your pantry!
Why You Should Consider Homemade Yellow Cake Mix
Before I quit couponing, I had quite the stash of boxed cake mixes. Then the fateful day came when we eliminated hydrogenated oils from the kitchen and the cake mixes (among other processed favorites) went in the trash.
And sometimes I just don’t want to mess with cake flour and separating egg yolks and whipping egg whites. Sometimes I just want to mix up the wet and the dry and call it done, you know what I mean?
Friends, that’s when it’s handy to have homemade yellow cake mix ready in the pantry.
Homemade cake mix is:
- Free from hydrogenated oils.
- Healthier than store-bought.
- Easy to make!
- Able to be made gluten-free. With the price of gluten-free cake mixes, this recipe will save you money and still tastes amazing!
Breakdown of Homemade Yellow Cake Mix
Making a batch of homemade yellow cake mix is just like homemade Bisquick – REALLY easy and you probably already have the ingredients in your pantry. It only requires FOUR ingredients!
- Flour. All-purpose flour or if you’re gluten-free, I recommend Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-free 1-to-1 Baking Flour.
- Granulated sugar
- Baking powder
How to make Homemade Yellow Cake Mix
Making Yellow cake mix is so simple, you’ll be wondering why you haven’t done this before.
- Measure out the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Layer in a mason jar.
That’s it! My recipe makes the equivalent of one 18.25 oz box of yellow cake mix.
Making a Cake with Homemade Yellow Cake Mix
You can keep this recipe handy to make it on the spot when you need a yellow cake mix, or you can mix it up ahead of time and keep it labeled in your pantry.
You can even make this yellow cake mix to make an easy cake recipe!
Homemade Yellow Cake Ingredients
- 1 batch of homemade yellow cake mix (recipe below)
- 8 Tbsp butter, softened
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil, soft
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract (here’s how to make it homemade)
- 3 eggs
How to make Homemade Yellow Cake
In a stand mixer using the paddle attachment in the large bowl, beat the butter and coconut oil on medium for 2 minutes. Add the dry ingredients (homemade yellow cake mix) and mix on low until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Add the remaining ingredients and mix on low until all the ingredients are incorporated well, about 30 seconds.
Butter and flour your cake pan(s) and bake at 350F:
- For a 9″x13″ glass pan, bake 25-30 minutes
- For a 9″ round pan, bake 20-25 minutes
- For cupcakes, bake 12-15 minutes
- For a bundt pan bake 20-25 minutes
The cake is done when a toothpick or butter knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before adding vanilla or chocolate frosting (or your favorite cake topping).
My favorite recipes that call for yellow cake mix
Whether you’re using Bob’s Red Mill 1-to-1 gluten-free flour as the base of your cake mix or all-purpose flour, these recipes work great with your homemade yellow cake mix!
More Homemade Pantry Ingredients
- Homemade Chocolate Cake Mix
- DIY Brownie Mix
- Pumpkin Pie Spice Blend
- Dry Onion Soup Mix
- Seven Homemade Spice Blends
Homemade Yellow Cake Mix
This homemade yellow cake mix tastes better than any store-bought mix! Using real food ingredients from the pantry, making this recipe from scratch is easy!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 5 mins
- Yield: Makes the equivalent of one 18.25 oz box of yellow cake mix
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bowl
- Cuisine: American
- 2 1/4 cups All-purpose flour or Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-free 1-to-1 Baking Flour
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Layer ingredients in the order listed in a quart-sized mason jar.
- Recipe makes the equivalent of one 18.25 oz box of yellow cake mix.