This homemade yellow cake mix tastes better than any store-bought mix! Using real food ingredients from the pantry, making this recipe from scratch is easy! Use this cake mix in some of my favorite desserts, like mini chocolate chip scones and slow cooker peach cobbler. You can make chocolate cake mix from scratch too!
Have you ever found a recipe that called for “just 5 ingredients,” but one of those ingredients was a box of cake mix? There are many great recipes out there (like this peach cobbler and this blueberry cobbler) that start with a box of yellow cake mix.
However, if you read the ingredients on the side of a box of cake mix, you’ll see that there are 26 ingredients in a box of store-bought yellow cake mix… and 4 of the top 5 ingredients to avoid in food are included in that list!
I found a simple solution to creating healthier and delicious recipes using yellow cake mix, while avoiding harmful ingredients. Just make it homemade, using only 4 ingredients!
Homemade yellow cake mix is:
- Free from hydrogenated oils.
- Easy to make!
- Healthier than store-bought.
- Gluten-free adaptible. (With the price of gluten-free cake mixes, this recipe will save you money and still taste amazing!)
Here’s What You Need
- All-purpose flour or Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-free 1-to-1 Baking Flour
- granulated sugar
- baking powder
Step by Step Instructions
Step 1. Measure out the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
Step 2. Layer in a mason jar.
That’s it! My recipe makes the equivalent of one 18.25 oz box of yellow cake mix.
If you want to make this gluten free, be sure to try out Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-free 1-to-1 Baking Flour.
What flavor is yellow cake mix?
Yellow cake refers to the flavor of a vanilla custard (this is the classic French way of making ice cream from cream and egg yolks). This flavor mimics the custard taste by including the egg yolks.
What is the difference between white cake mix and yellow cake mix?
The difference between white cake mix and yellow cake mix is in the wet ingredients: eggs. White cakes use only the egg whites. However, yellow cakes have the whole egg and the yolk, which gives it that custard flavor and color.
What can I add to the yellow cake mix?
You can get creative with different mix-ins, including dried fruit, chocolate chips, unsweetened shredded coconut, fresh berries, or chopped nuts!
You can use this yellow cake mix recipe to make an easy cake recipe!
- 1 batch of homemade yellow cake mix (recipe below)
- 8 Tbsp butter, softened
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil, soft
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract (here’s how to make it homemade)
- 3 eggs
How to Make Yellow Cake Using Your Mix
Step 1. In a stand mixer using the paddle attachment in the large bowl, beat the butter and coconut oil on medium for 2 minutes.
Step 2. Add the dry ingredients (homemade yellow cake mix) and mix on low until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
Step 3. Add the remaining ingredients and mix on low until all the ingredients are incorporated well, about 30 seconds.
Step 4. Butter and flour your cake pan(s) and bake at 350F.
- 9″x13″ glass pan, bake 25-30 minutes
- 9″ round pan, bake 20-25 minutes
- For cupcakes, bake 12-15 minutes (try these silicone baking cups for easy removal from the liner!)
- For a bundt pan bake 20-25 minutes
Note: The cake is done when a toothpick or butter knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before adding vanilla or chocolate frosting (or your favorite cake topping).
These recipes work great with your homemade yellow cake mix!
Dinner on a DimeSubscribe to my newsletter and get instant access to “Dinner on a Dime”: 15+ family-friendly and kid-approved recipes that are quick, cheap and healthy!
More Homemade Pantry Ingredients
- Homemade Chocolate Cake Mix
- DIY Brownie Mix
- Pumpkin Pie Spice Blend
- Dry Onion Soup Mix
- Seven Homemade Spice Blends
Watch How to Make Homemade Yellow Cake Mix
Homemade Yellow Cake Mix
This homemade yellow cake mix tastes better than any store-bought mix! Using only 4 ingredients from the pantry, making this recipe from scratch extremely easy!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: Makes the equivalent of one 18.25 oz box of yellow cake mix
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bowl
- Cuisine: American
- 2 1/4 cups All-purpose flour or Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-free 1-to-1 Baking Flour
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Layer ingredients in the order listed in a quart-sized mason jar.
- Recipe makes the equivalent of one 18.25 oz box of yellow cake mix.
Use this recipe to add in to any of the above recipes to make your favorite cakes and desserts!
- Calories: 122
Keywords: yellow cake mix