Go ahead and skip the delivery – This buffalo chicken pizza recipe is one of the best pizzas ever! It is spicy, creamy, and so good that you’ll never need Domino’s again! Plus, it’s quick & easy to make, and dare I say healthy?!
Our love for pizza stems back to long ago when Mr.Crumbs picked up a slice every day after class. He was introduced to buffalo chicken pizza during his college years and it immediately became his favorite.
So when buffalo chicken pizza is on the meal plan, I’m ready to go days in advance! Why do we love it? Because it’s:
- Easy & Simple
- Deliciously Spicy & Creamy
- And Always a Family Favorite!!!
- homemade pizza dough
- homemade ranch dressing OR homemade blue cheese dressing
- chicken breast or 2 cups shredded chicken
- buffalo sauce, divided
- mozzarella cheese
- blue cheese or gorgonzola, crumbled
Notes on Ingredients
- Homemade Pizza Crust – For a long time we used this recipe for homemade pizza dough. Then we discovered two of the four family members have a gluten sensitivity and made the switch to einkorn flour. This overnight einkorn pizza dough is now our go-to for pizza night.
- Blue Cheese vs Ranch Dressing – Mr. Crumbs loves blue cheese dressing with anything buffalo, but I love ranch dressing. We use whichever dressing we have already made in the house. You do you!
- Wingless Chicken – We almost always have shredded all-purpose chicken on hand in the freezer thanks to batch cooking! If you don’t, bake some chicken or make Instant Pot whole chicken as you wait for the crust to rise.
- Fresh Mozzarella – You really need to make sure to get fresh mozzarella for your pizza. It has a fantastic flavor and is better for you than the shredded kind.
- Hot Sauce – Frank’s Red Hot Sauce is a good store-bought option. You can also make homemade hot sauce with fresh peppers from your garden. Better yet, make this homemade buffalo sauce! (It’s my secret recipe!)
Step By Step Instructions
Here’s a step-by-step of how we do buffalo chicken pizza in the Crumbs kitchen:
Step 1. Oven. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and get the pizza stone nice and hot. (We have this pizza stone going on 10+ years and it really is the best!)
Step 2. Dough. When you start the dough at the same time you preheat, it helps the dough rise.
Step 3. Chicken. If necessary, bake one chicken breast in the preheating oven for 25-20 minutes. Set it aside to cool and bump up the oven to the highest temperature you can. Our oven caps out at 550F, but a higher temp means a crispier crust.
Step 4. Shape. When the dough has doubled in size, shape it into your favorite pizza shape.
Step 5. Prep Chicken. Chop the cooked chicken breast into pieces and toss in your favorite hot sauce.
Step 6. Sauce. Choose between ranch dressing or blue cheese dressing and smear a thin to medium layer on your pizza dough.
Tip: The thinner the crust, the less sauce you need. Thicker crusts can handle more weight, and as a result they can handle more sauce. If you have thin pizza but want more sauce, you can serve it on the side.
Step 7. Toppings. Top with fresh mozzarella, crumbled blue cheese, and the chicken.
Additional toppings: You can always add fresh red onions, or chopped celery, or a sprinkle of ranch seasoning!
Step 8. Heat. Drizzle a little bit of extra hot sauce on top before placing your pizza in the oven.
Step 9. Bake – Bake the pizza until the cheese is melted and crust is golden brown, 4-7 minutes.
Additional Recipe Tips and Tools
- This is the pizza stone we use. It’s worked well for many years!
- If you don’t have a pizza stone you can use baking sheets or a pizza pan. There’s no need don’t preheat them.
- Chicken breast does not tent to be the most frugal option. Feel free to use 1-2 cups of shredded chicken if you prefer. Just remember to keep your toppings appropriate to the thickness of your crust.
- Allow the pizza to cool for 2-4 minutes before slicing (this awesome pizza cutter eliminates the issue of slices without cheese!).
- As experienced pizza makers, we use a pizza peel to take our pizza in and out of the oven. This cutting board works great when we’re ready to serve. A floured surface is always helpful too!
The best buffalo chicken pizza starts with a homemade pizza crust.
The crust is topped with a creamy layer of blue cheese dressing or homemade ranch dressing.
It is layered with chunks or shreds of chicken, fresh mozzarella cheese, and hot sauce and that’s it!
Not if you make it homemade! This way you are saving yourself from consuming the preservatives, additives and sugars found in take-out pizza. Making the dough and the sauces are very easy, and it bakes up in no time!
I do, of course! With all of the components of this buffalo chicken pizza recipe made from scratch, you can’t get any simpler or healthier than this in homemade pizza!
More Pizza Recipes
- The Best Pizza Dough and Sauce
- Perfect Cast Iron Skillet Pizza
- Homemade Hot Pockets (make these mini for pizza rolls!)
- Overnight Einkorn Pizza Dough
Fight Inflation WorkshopSign up for my FREE Fight Inflation Workshop and learn simple strategies to save money, even with rising food costs!
Watch How to Make Buffalo Chicken Pizza
Homemade Buffalo Chicken Pizza
Skip the delivery, this buffalo chicken pizza recipe is one of the best pizzas ever. Spicy, creamy and oh so good, you’ll never need Domino’s again! Homemade buffalo chicken pizza is quick and easy to make, and dare I say healthy?!
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 7 mins
- Total Time: 37 mins
- Yield: 1 Pizza 1x
- Category: Main
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Prepare the pizza dough as directed.
- Bake one chicken breast in the pre-heating oven for 25-20 minutes.
- Set the chicken aside to cool and bump up the oven to the highest temperature you can.
- When the dough has doubled in size, shape into your favorite pizza shape.
- Chop the cooked chicken breast into pieces and toss with 2-3 Tbsp of buffalo sauce.
- Smear a thin to medium layer of homemade dressing on your pizza crust and top with fresh mozzarella and the chicken.
- Drizzle a little bit of extra hot sauce on top of the pie before you place it in the oven.
- Bake until the cheese is nice and bubbly, 4-7 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 2-4 minutes before slicing.
- Calories: 260
Keywords: Buffalo chicken pizza