Go ahead and skip the delivery – This buffalo chicken pizza recipe is one of the best pizzas ever! It is spicy, creamy, and so good that you’ll never need Domino’s again! Plus, it’s quick & easy to make, and dare I say healthy?!
Pizza has been a long-time favorite in the Crumbs household. We perfected the perfect pizza crust, learned how to make our favorite sauce, and even make pizza on the grill!
Our love for pizza stems back to long ago when Mr.Crumbs picked up a slice every day after class. He was introduced to buffalo chicken pizza during his college years and it immediately became his favorite.
So when buffalo chicken pizza is on the meal plan, I’m ready to go days in advance! Why do we love it? Because it’s:
- Easy & Simple
- Deliciously Spicy & Creamy
- And Always a Family Favorite!!!
- homemade pizza dough
- homemade ranch dressing OR homemade blue cheese dressing
- chicken breast or 2 cups shredded chicken
- buffalo sauce, divided
- mozzarella cheese
- blue cheese or gorgonzola, crumbled
Notes on Ingredients
- Homemade Pizza Crust – For a long time we used this recipe for homemade pizza dough. Then we discovered two of the four family members have a gluten sensitivity and made the switch to einkorn flour. This overnight einkorn pizza dough is now our go-to for pizza night.
- Blue Cheese vs Ranch Dressing – Mr. Crumbs loves blue cheese dressing with anything buffalo, but I love ranch dressing. We use whichever dressing we have already made in the house. You do you!
- Wingless Chicken – We almost always have shredded all-purpose chicken on hand in the freezer thanks to batch cooking! If you don’t, bake some chicken or make Instant Pot whole chicken as you wait for the crust to rise.
- Fresh Mozzarella – You really need to make sure to get fresh mozzarella for your pizza. It has a fantastic flavor and is better for you than the shredded kind.
- Hot Sauce – Frank’s Red Hot Sauce is a good store-bought option. You can also make homemade hot sauce with fresh peppers from your garden. Better yet, make this homemade buffalo sauce! (It’s my secret recipe!)
Step By Step Instructions
Here’s a step-by-step of how we do buffalo chicken pizza in the Crumbs kitchen:
Step 1. Oven. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and get the pizza stone nice and hot. (We have this pizza stone going on 10+ years and it really is the best!)
Step 2. Dough. When you start the dough at the same time you preheat, it helps the dough rise.
Step 3. Chicken. If necessary, bake one chicken breast in the preheating oven for 25-20 minutes. Set it aside to cool and bump up the oven to the highest temperature you can. Our oven caps out at 550F, but a higher temp means a crispier crust.
Step 4. Shape. When the dough has doubled in size, shape it into your favorite pizza shape.
Step 5. Prep Chicken. Chop the cooked chicken breast into pieces and toss in your favorite hot sauce.
Step 6. Sauce. Choose between ranch dressing or blue cheese dressing and smear a thin to medium layer on your pizza dough.
Tip: The thinner the crust, the less sauce you need. Thicker crusts can handle more weight, and as a result they can handle more sauce. If you have thin pizza but want more sauce, you can serve it on the side.
Step 7. Toppings. Top with fresh mozzarella, crumbled blue cheese, and the chicken.
Additional toppings: You can always add fresh red onions, or chopped celery, or a sprinkle of ranch seasoning!
Step 8. Heat. Drizzle a little bit of extra hot sauce on top before placing your pizza in the oven.
Step 9. Bake – Bake the pizza until the cheese is melted and crust is golden brown, 4-7 minutes.
Additional Recipe Tips and Tools
- This is the pizza stone we use. It’s worked well for many years!
- If you don’t have a pizza stone you can use baking sheets or a pizza pan. There’s no need don’t preheat them.
- Chicken breast does not tent to be the most frugal option. Feel free to use 1-2 cups of shredded chicken if you prefer. Just remember to keep your toppings appropriate to the thickness of your crust.
- Allow the pizza to cool for 2-4 minutes before slicing (this awesome pizza cutter eliminates the issue of slices without cheese!).
- As experienced pizza makers, we use a pizza peel to take our pizza in and out of the oven. This cutting board works great when we’re ready to serve. A floured surface is always helpful too!
The best buffalo chicken pizza starts with a homemade pizza crust.
The crust is topped with a creamy layer of blue cheese dressing or homemade ranch dressing.
It is layered with chunks or shreds of chicken, fresh mozzarella cheese, and hot sauce and that’s it!
Not if you make it homemade! This way you are saving yourself from consuming the preservatives, additives and sugars found in take-out pizza. Making the dough and the sauces are very easy, and it bakes up in no time!
I do, of course! With all of the components of this buffalo chicken pizza recipe made from scratch, you can’t get any simpler or healthier than this in homemade pizza!
More Pizza Recipes
- The Best Pizza Dough and Sauce
- Perfect Cast Iron Skillet Pizza
- Homemade Hot Pockets (make these mini for pizza rolls!)
- Overnight Einkorn Pizza Dough
Two Week SampleDo you need step-by-step help with meal planning? Frugal Real Food Meal Plans is an all-in-one meal plan with recipes, shopping lists, shopping guides, money saving tips and more! Sign up below for a free sample!
Watch How to Make Buffalo Chicken Pizza
Homemade Buffalo Chicken Pizza
Skip the delivery, this buffalo chicken pizza recipe is one of the best pizzas ever. Spicy, creamy and oh so good, you’ll never need Domino’s again! Homemade buffalo chicken pizza is quick and easy to make, and dare I say healthy?!
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 7 mins
- Total Time: 37 mins
- Yield: 1 Pizza 1x
- Category: Main
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- 1 batch homemade pizza dough
- 1 batch homemade ranch dressing OR homemade blue cheese dressing
- 1 chicken breast or 2 cups shredded chicken
- 1/2 cup buffalo sauce, divided
- 4 oz fresh mozzarella cheese
- 2–4 oz blue cheese or gorgonzola, crumbled
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Prepare the pizza dough as directed.
- Bake one chicken breast in the pre-heating oven for 25-20 minutes.
- Set the chicken aside to cool and bump up the oven to the highest temperature you can.
- When the dough has doubled in size, shape into your favorite pizza shape.
- Chop the cooked chicken breast into pieces and toss with 2-3 Tbsp of buffalo sauce.
- Smear a thin to medium layer of homemade dressing on your pizza crust and top with fresh mozzarella and the chicken.
- Drizzle a little bit of extra hot sauce on top of the pie before you place it in the oven.
- Bake until the cheese is nice and bubbly, 4-7 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 2-4 minutes before slicing.
- Calories: 260
Keywords: Buffalo chicken pizza
I use bottled wing sauce as my base. You can add some Frank’s to up the heat. Then I top with chicken, chopped celery, crumbled bleu cheese, some shredded jack. On top of that, shredded mozzarella. In upstate NY, celery sticks are regularly served with Buffalo Wings. Chopped up, they add a nice crunch to the pizza.
Sounds tasty. However, I would probably add some slices of red onion on mine. I used to work for a pizza place and the buffalo chicken pizza was one of their gourmet pizzas. That’s where I get the red onion idea.
Red onions would be a great addition Elaine!
Hello- I drive by Margheritas Pizza every day. I work pretty close to there. I’ll have to check it out now. I’ve never stopped due to heavy traffic through there, but it sounds like it is worth it.
You’re going to love it Ann! It’s worth stopping by!
Wow! Best buffalo chicken pizza my fiance and I have ever had. Thanks for the wonderful recipe!
You’re so very welcome Jean!
Great alternative to our ordinary Friday night Pizza. Easy and very tasty!
Was looking for a buffalo chicken recipe online and this one looks amazing! Me and the bf are making it tonight. Imagine my excitement when I re read the post and saw the first line about UD! I went to college there too, graduated in 2007. My personal favorite was Peace of Pizza, though. They had amazing garlic knots, which Id dip in ranch. Mac and cheese pizza. Ahh my stomach is rumbling! Go Blue Hens! 🙂
Margaret @ Creative Madness Mama
This recipe looks like something my family would truly love. I’ve never made a pizza from scratch before, so I’m off to check out your pizza dough recipe next.
Do you mind my asking, what plugin do you use for presenting your recipes? I was easily able to save it to Pepperplate and that makes me very happy!
I use EasyRecipe 🙂 I hope you enjoy the recipe!
Haha, Margherita’s pizza! Haven’t thought about that place in years! Their pepperoni pizza brings me back to my college days. Thanks for the stroll down memory lane! I guess I’m a hippie at heart and always go for veggie pizza (whole wheat crust, of course) but I love a good pesto pizza with lots of mushrooms and artichokes.
I think buffalo chicken pizza is going to be a hit at my house on Friday’s pizza night! Go fighting blue hens!!! 🙂
Lol – it’s a small world isn’t it? Every time we visit his family back East, we make the 45 minute trek to Margheritas 🙂 Did you go to school at UofD?
Yes, ma’am! Class of ’99. I hardly ever get back since I now live in Charleston SC. But fond memories nonetheless 🙂
How cool! You missed him by a year. He graduated in 2004 🙂