Homemade Cast Iron Pizza is thicker like Pizza Hut but homemade and so much better! Made from scratch with real ingredients and frugal, it’s healthy pizza! Try my homemade pizza sauce or carrot top pesto.
My husband’s three favorite words: Home. Made. Pizza.
My three favorite words: Cast. Iron. Skillet. (I fell in love this past summer.)
What do you get when you put them together? Homemade Cast Iron Pizza recipe.
We also shared how to make pizza on the grill and Mr. Crumbs’ college favorite buffalo chicken pizza. Now, let’s start talking about the reasons why you should make pizza in a skillet!
Reasons to Make Pizza in a Skillet
One day this past summer, Mr. Crumbs gave my cast iron skillet a second glance and did the unthinkable. He made pizza in it.
While my mouth dropped in shock, my taste buds were in awe.
- It’s like Chicago pizza in California. Not quite full-fledged deep-dish (to the point where you need a knife and fork), but definitely thicker than East Coast.
- SO easy to make.
- It’s sorta kinda Sicilian, but not quite as thick all around. You could compare it to Pizza Hut (minus the processed ingredients part), but with a slightly softer crust.
- And absolutely DELISH!
Cast Iron Skillet Pizza Ingredients
- 1 prepared batch of homemade pizza dough
- 1 prepared batch of homemade pizza sauce (or carrot top pesto)
- Toppings, if desired
Notes on Ingredients
- Dough. You can use any kind of pizza dough but for this recipe, I used our homemade recipe. Give it a try!
- Sauce. The same thing goes for the sauce. That is totally up to you. When we made this cast iron skillet pizza we used our sauce recipe.
How to Make Cast Iron Pizza
Step 1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees and make the best pizza dough ever.
Step 2. Make the best pizza sauce ever and after the dough has completed its rise, split it in half.
Step 3. Press the dough out into a rough circle the size of your skillet (ours is 12″ in diameter) and lay it in the pan. Continue to press the dough out so that you get a little “lip” around the edge for your crust.
Step 4. Then top appropriately.
Step 5. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly and the crust is golden. Drool. Then eat!
Recipe Tips for Cast Iron Pan Pizza
- If you want your cast iron skillet pizza to have a crispy crust, baste the crust with a little bit of olive oil before putting it in the oven.
- For a Pizza Hut / Round Table type pizza, lightly coat the cast iron skillet with olive oil and DON’T pre-heat.
- If you opted to preheat the skillet, please be VERY CAREFUL as the skillet will be incredibly hot.
- When the pizza is done, slide it out onto a cutting board and let it sit for a few minutes before cutting the pizza into slices. We like to use this pizza cutter because it doesn’t make the cheese slide all over the place.
Cast Iron Pizza FAQs
The pizza shouldn’t stick if you’ve seasoned your cast iron skillet the right way. You can sprinkle some flour if you want to prevent sticking but it shouldn’t be a problem.
If you’re wanting a Pizza Hut / Round Table style pizza, lightly coat the cast iron pan with olive oil and DON’T pre-heat. If you opted to preheat the skillet, please be VERY CAREFUL as the skillet will be incredibly hot!
I’d suggest transferring your cast iron pizza to a cutting board once the edges are golden brown and waiting a few minutes and then cutting the pizza. I prefer not to cut into the skillet because I don’t want to make marks on the seasoning.
Looking to Shake Things Up?
Toppings: This is a great way to use up leftovers! Some ideas are pepperoni, diced chicken, Italian sausage, mushrooms, onions, garlic, olives, bell peppers, or leftover veggies from this past week.
Spices: Spice it up with red pepper flakes, fresh basil, or dried oregano. Or have all 3 at the table to serve for individual preference.
More Cast Iron Recipes
30 Minute Dinners Sample Meal PlanSign up to get instant access to my 30 Minute Dinners Sample Meal Plan, complete with recipes and step-by-step instructions!
Watch How to Make This Cast Iron Pizza Recipe
Homemade Cast Iron Skillet Pizza
Homemade Cast Iron Pizza is thicker like Pizza Hut but homemade and so much better! Made from scratch with real ingredients and frugal, it’s healthy pizza!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 8 slices 1x
- Category: Main meals
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- If you want a Pizza Hut / Round Table style pizza, lightly coat the cast iron skillet with olive oil. Otherwise, place the cast iron skillet in the oven for 30 minutes to preheat.
- Meanwhile, divide the pizza dough into two. Pound one piece of the dough into a circle about the size of your cast iron skillet.
- Very carefully place the dough into the cast iron skillet and press the dough out so that you get a lip around the edge for the crust. Please work carefully as a preheated cast iron skillet will be hot!
- Smear about 1/4 – 1/2 cup of sauce on the bottom of the pizza.
- Top with the appropriate toppings and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the cheese is bubble and the crust is golden.
- Repeat with the second round of dough.
- Enjoy your homemade cast iron skillet pizza!
- For a Pizza Hut / Round Table type pizza, DON’T pre-heat.
- Calories: 196
Keywords: Cast iron pizza