This recipe for pan-roasted broccoli is SO easy and delicious that it’s guaranteed to be your new go-to side dish! You only need 4 ingredients and it’s ready in 10 minutes! Pairs well with honey garlic chicken or lemon and herb chicken.
A couple of months ago we were camping and while I normally LOVE campfire potatoes, I just wasn’t feeling it. I settled on broccoli but really didn’t have the slightest idea of how I was going to cook it.
What began as an impromptu experiment with my cast iron skillet and a couple of heads of broccoli turned into THE MOST delicious side dish I think I’ve ever made.
After making this pan-roasted broccoli recipe over and over (and over) again, there are three keys that make this recipe a winner:
- You use up the ENTIRE head of broccoli.
- It’s ready in less than 10 minutes.
- It tastes SO much better than plain steamed broccoli. It’s like the deep flavor of roasted broccoli, without having to heat up the oven and the house!
Here’s What You Need For Pan-roasted Broccoli
Notes on Ingredients
Psst! If you’re going to add salt, I highly recommend Ava Jane’s Kitchen. You may think all salt is created equal, but unfortunately, 90% of salt produced around the world contains microplastics (gross, right?). Ava Jane’s Kitchen is an exception. Their salt is 100% microplastic free, and it’s SO GOOD! Plus, you can get a bag for just 1¢!! (Get your penny bag of salt on this page.)
Step by Step Instructions
Step 1. Prepare and cut the broccoli while you preheat a cast iron pan on medium heat.
Step 2. Season and cook the broccoli for 5 minutes.
Step 3. Flip the broccoli florets, season, and cover for 3 minutes.
It is that simple!
Recipe Tips For Pan-roasted Broccoli
- The key to producing the delicious, perfect pan seared broccoli brown crust is not to stir the broccoli during the first 5 minutes. So don’t stir it!
- I recommend using a cast-iron skillet (which means you can use it over an open fire OR on the grill too!), but you can use any heavy-bottomed pan as well.
My recipe is basic but delicious. If you want to add more flavor, garlic or parmesan cheese is a great way to do that! Lemon juice would also go well. Some who like spicy flavors like to add red pepper flakes.
Pan-roasted broccoli is very healthy! It contains vitamin C, fiber, and protein!
You can certainly bake this recipe if you need to, but it won’t turn out exactly the same. Mix the oil, seasonings, and broccoli together, add to a pan and cover with foil. Bake until tender.
Here are some of my favorite recipes to serve with this healthy side dish:
- Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli
- Sweet and Sour Chicken
- Instant Pot Honey Garlic Chicken
- Lemon and Herb Chicken
- All-Purpose Slow Cooker Chicken
More Side Dish Recipes
Easy 10 Minute Pan-Roasted Broccoli
This recipe for pan-roasted broccoli is SO easy and delicious that it’s guaranteed to be your new go-to side dish! You only need 4 ingredients and it’s ready in 10 minutes!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 4–6 servings 1x
- Category: Sides
- Method: Stove top
- Cuisine: American
- In a cast iron skillet or heavy-bottom pan, heat olive oil over medium-low heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the broccoli by cutting entire head of broccoli in half. Laying the flat side down, cut off each floret from the base of the floret all the way down to the bottom of the stem.
- When the oil is hot, add all the broccoli to the pan, arranging so that as many pieces as possible are touching the bottom of the pan. Season with 1/2 tsp salt plus pepper to taste and allow to cook for 5 minutes, undisturbed.
- After 5 minutes, stir and rearrange the broccoli so that the sides that were down are now facing up. Season again with salt and pepper and cover with a lid. Allow to cook for 3 more minutes.
- Stir before serving. Best when served hot.
The key to producing the delicious, perfect brown crust is not to stir the broccoli during the first 5 minutes. So don’t stir it!
- Calories: 56
Keywords: pan-roasted broccoli