This recipe for pan-roasted broccoli is easy to make & ready in just 10 minutes! You can use this method for other veggies like carrots & cauliflower too! Pairs well with honey garlic chicken or lemon and herb chicken.
A couple of months ago we were camping and while I normally LOVE campfire potatoes, I just wasn’t feeling it. I settled on broccoli but really didn’t have the slightest idea of how I was going to cook it.
What began as an impromptu experiment with my cast iron skillet and a couple of heads of broccoli turned into THE MOST delicious side dish I think I’ve ever made.
Here’s how I know it was a winner:
That first night, a good friend and his family said OUT LOUD, “Wow Tiff, this broccoli is really good!” Later that week, my daughter asked if I could make broccoli the same way again.
Hmmm…. “good” and “broccoli” together in the same sentence? And children asking for broccoli? Could I be dreaming?!
This easy 10 Minute Pan-roasted Broccoli recipe has revolutionized our world is truly an understatement!
After making this recipe over and over (and over) again, I think there are two keys that make this recipe a winner:
- You use up the ENTIRE head of broccoli.
- It’s ready in less than 10 minutes.
And it tastes SO much better than plain steamed broccoli. It’s like the deep flavor of roasted broccoli, without having to heat up the oven and the house!
Ingredients for Pan Roasted Broccoli
This recipe calls for 4 simple ingredients:
- Olive Oil
That’s all you need to make the most amazing tasting broccoli ever.
How to Make and Steam Broccoli in a Pan
Making pan-roasted broccoli is simple with these 3 easy steps:
- Prepare and cut the broccoli while you preheat a cast iron pan on medium heat.
- Season and cook the broccoli for 5 minutes.
- Flip the broccoli florets, season, and cover for 3 minutes.
It is that simple!
Can you add garlic or parmesan to pan-roasted broccoli?
Sure! Feel free to season how you would like. My recipe is basic but delicious. If you want to add more flavor, garlic or parmesan cheese is a great way to do that! Lemon juice would also go well. Some who like spicy flavors like to add red pepper flakes.
Can you make pan-roasted broccoli in a sheet pan in the oven?
You can certainly bake this recipe if you need to, but it won’t turn out exactly the same. Mix the oil, seasonings, and broccoli together, add to a pan and cover with foil. Bake until tender.
Additional Recipe Notes
The key to producing the delicious, perfect brown crust is not to stir the broccoli during the first 5 minutes. So don’t stir it!
I recommend using a cast-iron skillet (which means you can use it over an open fire OR on the grill too!), but you can use any heavy-bottomed pan as well.
What to serve with Pan-fried Broccoli?
Broccoli goes well with many different types of meals. Here are some of my favorite to serve with this pan-fried broccoli:
- Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli
- Sweet and Sour Chicken
- Instant Pot Honey Garlic Chicken
- Lemon and Herb Chicken
- All-Purpose Slow Cooker Chicken
Other Easy Side Dishes
- Roasted Vegetables with Kale
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- Healthy Green Bean Casserole
- Instant Pot Quinoa
Easy 10 Minute Pan-Roasted Broccoli
This recipe for pan-roasted broccoli is easy to make & ready in just 10 minutes! You can use this method for other veggies like carrots & cauliflower too!
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 4–6 servings 1x
- Category: Sides
- Method: Stove top
- Cuisine: American
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 full heads broccoli (stems too, not just the crown)
- 1/2–1 tsp salt
- 1/4–1/2 tsp pepper
- In a cast iron skillet or heavy-bottom pan, heat olive oil over medium-low heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the broccoli by cutting entire head of broccoli in half. Laying the flat side down, cut off each floret from the base of the floret all the way down to the bottom of the stem.
- When the oil is hot, add all the broccoli to the pan, arranging so that as many pieces as possible are touching the bottom of the pan. Season with 1/2 tsp salt plus pepper to taste and allow to cook for 5 minutes, undisturbed.
- After 5 minutes, stir and rearrange the broccoli so that the sides that were down are now facing up. Season again with salt and pepper and cover with a lid. Allow to cook for 3 more minutes.
- Stir before serving. Best when served hot.