This super easy recipe for Instant Pot frozen chicken breast uses just 2 ingredients and is perfect for a quick dinner! Goes perfectly with cilantro lime rice, roasted broccoli, or Hasselback potatoes.
Have you ever walked into the kitchen to make dinner, only to realize you COMPLETELY FORGOT to thaw the chicken?
I’m embarrassed to admit that this happens fairly often in my house, but now that I’ve learned how to cook frozen chicken breast in the Instant Pot, dinner is saved!
Instant Pot Frozen Chicken Breast
If you’ve ever forgotten to pull out the chicken for dinner, you’re not alone. No matter how much we plan, things come up and sometimes dinner is the ball that gets dropped!
Even when I DO remember to thaw meat for dinner, I still love making this recipe for a few reasons:
- Super Easy
- Minimal Ingredients
Plus, knowing that I need FROZEN chicken breasts from the get-go means I can stock up when chicken breasts are on sale. I don’t even have to worry about taking them out of the package or coming up with a marinade for them!
(Although if you DO want a marinade, these chicken marinades are pretty stinkin’ good.)
Frozen Chicken Breast in the Instant Pot: Two Ingredients
I love my chicken to be moist and tender, and that’s why I personally prefer to roast a whole chicken in the oven.
However, I live in the real world, and not only do I sometimes forget to pull the chicken out to thaw but sometimes I don’t WANT to cook in the oven!
So if you choose to make frozen chicken breast in the Instant Pot AND you want your chicken to be moist and juicy, you need just two ingredients:
- Frozen chicken breast (not thawed!)
- Pineapple juice
Most recipes call for water, but I found that it creates a very boring and lackluster chicken.
But, if you’re making something where you’ll notice the texture and flavor of the chicken, definitely use pineapple juice!
Psst! Want to kick this up a notch? Try finishing this recipe with a pinch of finishing salt! I love Ava Jane’s Kitchen because it doesn’t have microplastics (gross, right?) and it’s SO GOOD! Plus, you can get a bag for just 1¢!! Just add a pinch to your chicken for a sweet and savory combo!
(Get your penny bag of salt on this page.)
How to Cook Frozen Chicken Breast in the Instant Pot
I have to confess that I tried a few different methods when I was figuring out how to cook frozen chicken breast in the Instant Pot.
I tried using natural pressure release, quick pressure release, a combination of the two…
And as much as I love the quick pressure release, that made the chicken kind of rubbery.
Hands down, the best way to cook frozen chicken breast in the Instant Pot is to use the natural pressure release.
- Place liquid, trivet, and frozen chicken in the Instant Pot.
- Set the timer and walk away!
- Come back when the timer has beeped and the pressure has released.
Pretty easy, right? And completely hands-off!
How long does it take to cook frozen chicken breast in the instant pot?
After testing several methods, I’ve found that 9 minutes on high is perfect!
Can you cook chicken breast from frozen?
Yes! Simply follow the directions below and you’ll have a perfectly cooked chicken breast – from frozen – in just a few minutes!
Which Instant Pot do you use?
What to serve with chicken breast made in the Instant Pot?
- Crispy Hasselback Potatoes
- Coconut Rice
- Pan-Seared Broccoli
- Lemon Butter Asparagus
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
Need some chicken recipes for your Instant Pot frozen chicken?
- Bacon Chicken Caesar Salad Wraps
- Sweet and Sour Chicken (with homemade sauce!)
- Chicken & Spinach Enchiladas
- Chicken Creole
- Buffalo Chicken and Bacon Ranch Salad
- Southwestern Salad
Chicken Meal Prep PlanSign up to get instant access to my Chicken Meal Prep Plan, complete with recipes and shopping list!
How to Make Frozen Chicken in the Instant Pot
Can you make frozen chicken in the Instant Pot? Absolutely! This quick and easy Instant Pot frozen chicken breast with just 2 ingredients will be ready in under 30 minutes! Pair this hands-off main dish with an easy side and dinner is served.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 9 minutes
- Total Time: 14 minutes
- Yield: 16 oz of cooked chicken 1x
- Category: Main Meals
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
- 1 lb frozen chicken breast
- 1 cup pineapple juice (or water)
- Place pineapple juice and trivet inside the Instant Pot. Place the frozen chicken breast on top of the trivet.
- Set the pressure to HIGH, set the pressure release valve to “sealing” and the timer to 9 minutes. Allow the IP to come to pressure, cook, and let the pressure release naturally (i.e. do nothing until the pressure popper comes down on its own).
- Shred the chicken with two forks (or follow this method with a stand mixer) and mix the chicken back into the juices in the Instant Pot.
- Serve warm, or as desired.
- Hands down, the best way to cook frozen chicken in the Instant Pot is to use the natural pressure release.
- Calories: 416
Keywords: Frozen chicken in the instant pot, instant pot frozen chicken, instant pot frozen chicken breast, instant pot chicken, pressure cooker chicken