Make this quick & easy Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup using chicken breast, thighs, or legs, even frozen! Set the timer for 30 minutes and dinner is done! Serve with my easy no knead artisan bread.
Chilly weather means one thing. Soup season! In my family, we absolutely love eating soup…year round, actually! With that said, I’ll just jump right in on this classic Instant Pot chicken noodle soup!
Awesome, because this soup is AMAZING. I’ve made it no less than 3 times in the past two weeks and every drop is devoured.
And the fact that it’s made in the Instant Pot means dinner is a bit easier to get on the table.
By the way, I have this one in the 8 quart size. I figured it’s better to have extra room than not enough, right?
Can we talk about meat in soup?
Neither is roasted red pepper tomato soup or garlic white bean soup with kale… But this Chinese vegetable soup should have had chicken, and red lentil vegetable soup was inspired by a soup recipe that called for chicken too.
So why no soup recipes with meat? That’s because Mr. Crumbs has a texture aversion to meat in soup. Since this blog is an extension of what happens at home, there’s no meat in soup here if I’m not putting meat in soup in my own kitchen. UNTIL NOW!
So although you may have previously enjoyed other chicken noodle soup recipes like Pioneer Woman chicken noodle soup, let me tell you…this is the BEST Instant Pot chicken noodle soup recipe! Hands down.
Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
Here are some of the reasons why I love Instant Pot chicken noodle soup… It’s
- Easy. I can dump all of the ingredients in the Instant Pot – including the noodles AND a whole chicken breast.
- Quick. I’ll have a delicious soup ready in 30 minutes without dirtying any other dishes AND the chicken breast will stay WHOLE.
- Kid-friendly. With the classic chicken noodle soup flavors, it’s mild and perfect for picky eaters.
- Healthy! Made with nourishing chicken broth, and wholesome veggies (that you can always customize), it’s a perfect soup for any time of the year…but especially in the cooler weather when our immune systems need an extra boost!
What are the ingredients in this Chicken Noodle Soup recipe Instant Pot?
- diced onions + carrots + celery
- chicken stock (here’s how to make slow cooker chicken stock)
- Italian seasoning
- bay leaf
- salt + pepper
- noodles (whole wheat spaghetti, or egg noodles)
- chicken (chicken thighs, breasts, legs) OR 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
Can I use pre-cooked shredded chicken for IP Chicken Noodle Soup?
YES YOU CAN! In fact, that’s definitely the more frugal option. Buy a whole chicken (or leg quarters if they’re the better deal), cook it up (in the oven or in a slow cooker), and shred the meat. Portion out 2 cups of shredded chicken into storage containers and stick them in the freezer.
For this recipe, I didn’t go the shredded chicken route mostly because of my aforementioned husband and his aversion to meat in his soup. I also didn’t go that route because not everyone has shredded chicken on hand. But if you have it, please use it in this recipe!
How to make Chicken Noodle Soup in the Instant Pot
- Place 1 cup onions + 1 cup carrots + 1 cup celery + 8 cups chicken stock + 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning + 3 tsp garlic + 2 bay leaves + 1 Tbsp salt + 1 tsp pepper in the Instant Pot. Add 4 oz noodles, broken into quarters.
- If you’re using raw chicken, add it to the Instant Pot. Close and lock the lid.
- Press the [soup] function, medium pressure, 30 minutes.
- Once finished, quick pressure release.
- Remove chicken and shred, then stir back into soup. If you’re using shredded chicken, just stir it into the hot soup at this time.
Tips for Making Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
A few things worthy to note before you jump into this AMAZING soup:
- The total cook time is about an hour. The soup only needs 30 minutes to cook, but the Instant Pot pressure cooker takes 20-30 minutes to come to pressure. Use the quick release to speed things up once the soup is done.
- Feel free to add more vegetables! I’m only including the classics in this version, but I’ve added mushrooms, spinach, peas and carrots before and it’s always YUM-O. Oh yeah, I’ve also used celery seeds instead of actual celery when I ran out. Guess what? Still YUM!
- Don’t use the “keep warm” function. Well, I mean you CAN use it, but my fear is that since you’re adding the noodles directly to the soup, the “keep warm” function might cook your noodles into nothingness in the soup. I’d recommend turning that feature off, personally, when the lid is sealed, the soup will stay hot for awhile anyway.
- To shred the whole chicken breast, I pull the cooked chicken out of the hot soup and shred it in my mixer. Then the kids and I will put a couple tablespoons of chicken into our bowls and ladle the soup over it. My husband will just ladle the soup. Everyone is a happy camper!
- This makes EXCELLENT leftovers! I’ve intentionally kept leftover soup in the fridge to see if the noodles would dissolve, and they don’t! Keep in mind that I’ve used whole wheat noodles every time, so I haven’t tested with regular pasta. I don’t know if that would make a difference though.
Psst! Want to kick this up a notch? Try finishing this recipe with a pinch of finishing salt! I love Ava Jane’s Kitchen because it doesn’t have microplastics (gross, right?) and it’s SO GOOD! Plus, you can get a bag for just 1¢!! Just add a pinch to that deliciously warm soup and enjoy! (Get your penny bag of salt on this page.)
More Easy Soup Recipes
- Instant Pot Detox Chicken Soup
- White Bean and Sausage Soup
- Instant Pot Curried Butternut Squash Soup
- Easy Garlic White Bean Soup with Kale
Chicken Meal Prep PlanSign up to get instant access to my Chicken Meal Prep Plan, complete with recipes and shopping list!
Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
Make this quick & easy Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup using chicken breast, thighs, or legs, even frozen! Set the timer for 30 minutes and dinner is done!
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 4–8 servings 1x
- Category: Main meals
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup diced carrots (about 2 large carrots)
- 1 cup diced celery (about 2 celery ribs)
- 1 cup diced onions (about 1 onion)
- 8 cups chicken stock (here’s how to make slow cooker chicken stock)
- 3 tsp finely diced garlic (about 3 cloves)
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 4 oz noodles (I used whole wheat spaghetti)
- ½ lb chicken, raw (I used chicken breast) OR 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- Place all the ingredients through the pepper in the Instant Pot (I have this one). Add the noodles, breaking them into smaller pieces if necessary. (I broke spaghetti into quarters.)
- If you’re using raw chicken, add it to the Instant Pot.
- Close and lock the lid and of the Instant Pot. Press the [soup] function, adjust the pressure to medium and set the timer to 30 minutes.
- The Instant Pot will take about 20-30 minutes to come to pressure before the timer will start.
- Once the timer goes off, use the Quick Pressure Released to release the steam. If you’re using shredded chicken, stir it into the hot soup at this time.
Keywords: Instant pot chicken noodle soup