This Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup is SO quick & easy and irresistibly savory. Vegan friendly and versatile, use frozen or fresh veggies. Pairs perfectly with a slice of my no-knead overnight artisan bread or enjoy with a fresh fall salad.
Have you ever made a pot of soup and secretly wished the family wouldn’t like it so you could eat it all yourself?
That happened to me when I made Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana, and it happened again when I made this curried Instant Pot butternut squash soup.
This soup is so good, I have it on my regular soup rotation and it’s all for me!
Curried Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup
But me? I LOVE pureed soups!
- They’re less work. No need to worry about even cutting since you’re blending everything in the end).
- They’re super pretty. All the decorating with cream on top? LOVE!!
- They’re less fussy. You can overcook the vegetables all you want – it only helps your case!
- They’re more versatile. Frozen or fresh vegetables all work the same!
This recipe in particular is REALLY fast – just dump it all in the Instant Pot and walk away. 20 minutes later, dinner is done!
Ingredients for Curry Butternut Squash Instant Pot Soup
The list of ingredients for this soup is crazy short:
- butternut squash
- curry + salt + thyme
- coconut milk
Can you substitute kabocha squash in the soup?
Yes! You can substitute any winter squash for butternut squash in this soup.
Can you use frozen butternut squash?
Yes! In fact, the whole reason I wanted to make this soup was that I had frozen butternut squash in the freezer I wanted to use up!
Can you use frozen cauliflower?
Yes! Just like the butternut squash, the cauliflower can be frozen too. Heck, the onions and garlic can be frozen as well!
How to Make Savory Butternut Squash Soup Recipe in the Instant Pot
You guys won’t believe how easy it is to make this savory butternut squash soup recipe in the Instant Pot.
1. Add all ingredients, except the coconut milk, to the Instant Pot.
2. Set the pressure to high, set the timer, and walk away!
3. When you’re ready to serve dinner, puree the soup and stir in the coconut milk!
Notice how we’re NOT sautéing anything first. This soup is so flavorful, there’s no need to do anything special!
Just dump it all in the Instant Pot (minus the coconut milk) and let it cook!
What to serve with Curried Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup
- Pumpkin Swirl Black Bean Brownies
- Chocolate Brownie Cake
- Potato Buttermilk Bread
- Roasted Vegetable Kale Salad
Other Fast Soup Recipes
Hands-Free CookingLearn the secrets to getting dinner done faster by hacking your kitchen appliances, plus 30+ recipes to fuel your family!
Instant Pot Curried Butternut Squash Soup
This Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup is SO quick & easy and irresistibly savory. Vegan friendly and versatile, use frozen or fresh veggies.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4–6 Servings 1x
- Category: Soup & Salad
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
- 2 lbs butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1” cubes (or use frozen)
- 1 lb cauliflower florets (can use frozen, or substitute butternut squash)
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 2 cloves garlic, halved
- 1 Tbsp curry powder
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp dried thyme
- 3 cups water
- ½ cup canned coconut milk
- Toppings (optional): pumpkin seeds (pepitas), sunflower seeds, diced bacon, red onion
- Combine 2 lbs of butternut squash, 1 lb of cauliflower florets, 1 large onion, 2 cloves of garlic, 1 Tbsp curry powder, 1 ½ tsp salt, 1 ½ tsp dried thyme, 3 cups water, (everything except the coconut milk) in the Instant Pot.
- Secure the lid and make sure the steam release valve is set to “sealing.”
- Select “manual” or “high pressure” and set the timer to cook for 15 minutes.
- When the soup is done, let the pressure release naturally (i.e. do nothing!). When the floating value drops, you can safely open the lid.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the soup until it’s smooth. Alternatively, you can CAREFULLY puree the soup in a blender in small batches.
- Stir in 1/2 a cup of canned coconut milk and taste, adding additional salt or thyme if desired.
- Ladle in bowls and top with desired toppings: pumpkin seeds (pepitas), sunflower seeds, diced bacon and/or red onion.