My favorite Instant Pot bean soup includes kale and sausage! Use navy beans or great northern beans and any leafy greens! The perfect quick & easy one pot meal! Serve with My Sweet Kale Salad and My Potato Buttermilk Bread!
One of my most favorite soup recipes is my White Bean Soup with Garlic and Kale.
A reader suggested that I try it with sausage, which I thought was a fantastic idea! So I’ve combined both ideas to create an Instant Pot bean soup called Instant Pot White Bean Soup with Sausage and Kale!
Although “garlic” isn’t in the title, there’s still PLENTY of garlic in the recipe. Actually, I think the quantity of garlic in the soup, and the fact that the garlic is SMASHED and not minced, is one of the reasons why I like it so much!
Is This a One Pot Meal?
My original recipe calls for two pots – one to get the beans cooking in chicken stock and another to simmer the tomato paste. This second pot is really what gives an AMAZING aroma in the house.
But the whole point of using the Instant Pot pressure cooker is to use less cookware on the stove, right?
I’ve made a few batches of chicken stock in the Instant Pot and every single time the stock is so rich and flavorful. I’m not a scientist, but I really think it’s how the food is cooked in the pot that intensifies the flavors.
So with that said, I took a gamble that tossing everything into the Instant Pot would make for a super easy dinner AND one that tasted just as good as the original recipe.
Guess what – I was right!
Instant Pot White Bean Soup with Sausage & Kale
The beauty of making this Instant Pot bean soup is that you don’t have to soak or pre cook the beans beforehand. You literally can put ALL of the ingredients into the Instant Pot, set the timer and walk away.
- The beans will come out perfectly tender.
- The sausage will be cooked perfectly though.
- The kale will be sufficiently wilted, and yet not mushy.
- The broth will be flavorful and absolutely delicious.
Another perk of this recipe, is that you probably have everything you need to make it already in your kitchen.
Ingredients for White Bean Soup with Sausage and Greens
- navy beans
- chicken stock (I use homemade chicken stock)
- garlic cloves
- bay leaf
- Kale (you can use all types of kale including curly kale, OR collard greens & other leafy greens)
- olive oil
- tomato paste
- sausage (I used spicy turkey sausage links)
- salt & pepper
Psst! Want to kick this up a notch? Try finishing this recipe with a pinch of finishing salt! I love Ava Jane’s Kitchen because it doesn’t have microplastics (gross, right?) and it’s SO GOOD! Plus, you can get a bag for just 1¢!! Just add a pinch before serving to bring out the savory flavor of this hearty soup! (Get your penny bag of salt on this page.)
How to Make White Bean Soup in the Instant Pot
Step 1. Rinse and sort beans, discarding any misshapen or discolored beans.
Step 2. Place all ingredients in the Instant Pot.
Step 3. Place the lid on the Instant Pot, lock it and make sure the steam release valve is sealed.
Step 4. Press “soup” and use the “-“ or “+” button until you reach 45 minutes. This automatically defaults to high pressure.
Step 5. When the Instant Pot is done, use an oven mitt to turn the steam release valve to “quick release.” When the steam stops venting, carefully open the lid.
Step 6. Serve hot.
Instant Pot Bean Soup Recipe Tips
- Any kind of sausage will work here, and I have some tips depending on what you use:
- If you want to use sausage links: place in the pot with all the other ingredients and cook as directed. Pull the sausage links out, slice on a cutting board and place back in the soup.
- If you want to use ground sausage: use the sauté function on the Instant Pot to brown the sausage with a tsp or so of olive oil. Crumble the sausage as it cooks, and when it’s done, turn the Instant Pot off to add the remaining ingredients. Then cook according to the recipe!
I really like navy beans in this recipe because of their mild and muted flavor. If you can’t find navy beans, great northern beans would also work well. I usually have them on hand because I love great northern bean and ham soup (with cast iron skillet cornbread!) in the winter.
If you can’t find navy beans or great northern beans, substitute with another small white bean. I wouldn’t choose white kidney beans (cannellini bean) though, simply because it will change the overall flavor of the soup.
- Kale (dinosaur kale, curly kale) is the perfect dark green to use in this soup because it’s hardy. It can stand up to being in the Instant Pot for a while without turning to mush.
- If you don’t have kale, Swiss chard makes a great substitute. If you like the flavor of mustard greens, turnip greens or beet greens, then by all means, use them!
- The only exception to substituting for greens would be using spinach. You can certainly use spinach, but don’t add it to the soup at the very beginning. Instead, cook the soup as written (minus the greens) and add the spinach at the end. Give it a quick stir and close the lid. Let the soup sit for 5 minutes and the residual heat from the soup will wilt the greens all by itself!
FAQs for White Bean Soup and Sausage Soup
Does Instant Pot White Bean Soup with Kale u0026amp; Sausage Freeze Well?
This soup freezes and reheats beautifully, so feel free to make a double batch. Or make a big batch for a very inexpensive way to feed a crowd on just one pound of meat!
What type of Instant Pot is best for making Instant Pot Bean Soup?
One more note on the Instant Pot – I have the u003ca href=u0022http://amzn.to/2yYH6zQu0022u003e8 quart Instant Pot DUOu003c/au003e and LOVE that it can hold so much food! If you have u003ca href=u0022https://amzn.to/3lm0qifu0022u003ea 6 quart Instant Pot,u003c/au003e just make sure you don’t go past the fill line (you should be fine in this recipe though!)u003cbr/u003eu003cbr/u003eIf you’re new to cooking with an Instant Pot or aren’t sure if it’s worth the investment check out u003ca href=u0022https://dontwastethecrumbs.com/before-you-buy-instant-pot/u0022u003emy post 20+ Things to Know BEFORE You Buy an Instant Pot.u003c/au003e
More Easy Instant Pot Recipes
- Instant Pot Honey Baked Ham
- Instant pot Breakfast Casserole
- Easy Instant Pot Vegetarian Chili
- Instant Pot Lentils
- Best Easy Yellow Rice
Slow Cooker Meal PlanSign up to get instant access to my Slow Cooker Meal Plan, complete with recipes and shopping list!!
Instant Pot White Bean Soup with Sausage and Kale
My favorite Instant Pot bean soup includes kale and sausage! Use navy beans or great northern beans and any leafy greens! The perfect quick & easy one pot meal!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Total Time: 55 mins
- Yield: 8 cups 1x
- Category: Main Meals
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
- Rinse and sort beans, discarding any misshapen or discolored beans.
- Place all ingredients in the Instant Pot.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot, lock it and make sure the steam release valve is sealed.
- Press “soup” and use the “-“ or “+” button until you reach 45 minutes.
- When the Instant Pot is done, use an oven mitt to turn the steam release valve to “quick release.” When the steam stops venting, carefully open the lid.
- Serve hot.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 227
Keywords: Instant Pot White Bean Soup, White Bean and Sausage Soup, White Bean Soup, Instant Pot Bean Soup, Instant Pot Bean and Sausage Soup, Bean and Sausage Soup, White Bean and Sausage Soup