Learn how to cook this quick and easy yellow rice recipe in an Instant pot or pressure cooker. Use simple, real food ingredients for the absolute best yellow rice! Pairs well with delicious & tender slow cooker chicken and Instant Pot steamed vegetables.
My family loves rice, but I confess that sometimes rice feels boring… I used to buy boxes of yellow rice from the store and I remember thinking they tasted SO DELICIOUS.
I’ve learned how to make this Instant Pot yellow rice recipe at home with simple ingredients! I still get the flavor of that tasty yellow rice without the toxic ingredients of the store-bought kind, and rice is never again boring!
If you guys have never made yellow rice before, you’re in for a treat! It’s so easy and SO good!
Reasons to Make This Yellow Rice Recipe
- Picky-eater approved.
- It’s freezer-friendly.
- Great with Spanish or Greek dishes.
- Perfect with chicken and simple steamed vegetables.
- I can make a big batch and freeze it for later, I get excited to spend less time in the kitchen!
Here’s What You Need
- Olive oil
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Bay leaf
- Salt + pepper
- Chicken or vegetable stock
- White rice (Jasmine is my preferred rice for this recipe, but you can use any white rice you have on hand)
Notes on Ingredients
Psst! Since you’re going to add salt to this yellow rice recipe, I highly recommend Ava Jane’s Kitchen. You may think all salt is created equal, but unfortunately, 90% of salt produced around the world contains microplastics (gross, right?). Ava Jane’s Kitchen is an exception. Their salt is 100% microplastic free, and it’s SO GOOD! Plus, you can get a bag for just 1¢!! (Get your penny bag of salt on this page.)
Step by Step Instructions
Step 1. Rinse the rice and place all the ingredients in the Instant Pot and secure the lid. Set the pressure valve to ‘sealing.’
Step 2. Set the timer. Cook on high pressure and release the pressure using the quick release. (If you are using Jasmine rice for this recipe, we cook for 4 minutes with an 8-10 minute natural pressure release. For white rice or Basmati, we recommend 4 minutes with a quick pressure release. If you like your white rice (not Jasmine) to be firmer, cook for 2 minutes, quick pressure release).
Step 3. Use the quick pressure release (except for Jasmine rice, use a natural pressure release 8-10 mins) when the timer beeps. Enjoy!
If you are using Jasmine rice for this recipe, we cook for 4 minutes with an 8-10 minute natural pressure release. For white rice or Basmati, we recommend 4 minutes with a quick pressure release. If you like your white rice to be firmer, cook for 2 minutes.
Yellow rice does contain turmeric, that’s the ingredient that gives the rice that vibrant yellow color! Turmeric is an amazing spice that actually has many health benefits, like anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. It also has great flavor. It’s a wonderful spice to cook with and to have on hand in your pantry.
This yellow rice recipe has the flavor of turmeric, salt, pepper, onions and garlic. This rice is packed with delicious flavor for every bite!
Certainly, but why spend money on artificial flavors and food coloring when making it yourself is so easy! Once you have turmeric in your spice cabinet, you can make it with any rice you have in the pantry, anytime you want!
To Serve Yellow Rice
Want to add a little more to your yellow rice? Try adding frozen peas and carrots or bell peppers! Or add black beans or any other kind in after it is made. Those are great ways to add even more nutrition and depth to this delicious yellow rice recipe.
If you want to use a bag of frozen peas and corn to the rice, go for it! Just dump it in and add the rice and follow the same cooking instructions.
Personally, I recommend cooking the beans separately since they have a longer cook time than rice, but you can always stir them in after you cook the rice before serving! Here’s my tutorial for Instant Pot beans.
Make this a chicken rice dinner. All you have to do is add the chicken to the rice!
This yummy yellow rice recipe also serves as a great side dish to slow cooker pot roast or chicken and spinach enchiladas.
More Instant Pot Recipes
- Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli
- Easy Instant Pot Vegetarian Chili
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Delicious Instant Pot Spanish Rice
Watch How to Make Instant Pot Yellow Rice
Instant Pot Yellow Rice
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 minutes
- Total Time: 9 minutes
- Yield: 2 cups 1x
- Category: Sides
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
- In a fine-mesh sieve, rinse the rice under running water for 1 full minute.
- Put all the ingredients in the Instant Pot and stir.
- Secure the lid and turn the knob to “sealing.”
- Cook on high pressure and release the pressure using the quick release. (If you are using Jasmine rice for this recipe, we cook for 4 minutes with an 8-10 minute natural pressure release. For white rice or Basmati, we recommend 4 minutes with a quick pressure release. If you like your white rice (not Jasmine) to be firmer, cook for 2 minutes, quick pressure release).
- Fluff the rice with a large fork and serve warm.
- Use a fork to fluff the rice, spatulas make the rice gummy.
- I like to use Jasmine rice for this recipe.
- Calories: 243
Keywords: yellow rice recipe