This simple yellow rice comes together super fast in the Instant Pot. It’s delicious and versatile – serve it as a side with anything from tacos to salad or make it a meal on its own by adding chicken and veggies. However you serve it, your family will love it!
I used to buy boxes of yellow rice from the store, and I remember thinking they tasted SO DELICIOUS. They were one of my favorites, just like boxed mac and cheese.
But just like boxed mac and cheese, those boxes of yellow rice are also full of preservatives and food coloring, and since we’ve switched to eating real food, those are on my list of food additives to avoid.
So just like mac and cheese got a makeover, so did yellow rice. I’ve learned how to make this Instant Pot yellow rice recipe at home with simple ingredients! I still get the flavor of that tasty yellow rice, but I skip all the junk.
And let me tell you, this easy yellow rice recipe is no boring side dish.
If you have never made yellow rice before, you’re in for a treat. It’s so easy and SO good!
WHY MAKE THIS YELLOW RICE RECIPE?
This yellow rice recipe is super easy to make. Aside from that, it’s also:
- Picky eater approved. Plus it’s naturally gluten-free!
- Freezer friendly. I can make a big batch of this yellow rice recipe and freeze it for later. I don’t know about you, but I get excited to spend less time in the kitchen!
- Versatile! Yellow rice is great with Spanish or Greek dishes, like Spicy Shrimp Tacos or Vegetable Greek Salad.
- It’s also perfect with chicken and simple steamed vegetables.
YELLOW RICE INGREDIENTS
- Olive oil
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Bay leaf
- Ground Turmeric
- Salt + pepper
- Chicken Broth or vegetable stock (You can sub water if needed, but the best flavor comes out when you use broth.)
- White rice (Jasmine is my preferred rice for this recipe, but you can use any white rice you have on hand, basmati rice or long grain rice are favorites!)
Psst! Since you’re going to add salt to this yellow rice recipe, I highly recommend Ava Jane’s Kitchen. You may think all salt is created equal, but unfortunately, 90% of salt produced around the world contains microplastics (gross, right?). Ava Jane’s Kitchen is an exception. Their salt is 100% microplastic free, and it’s SO GOOD! Plus, you can get a bag for FREE!! (Get your 8 oz bag of salt on this page. – Just pay shipping.)
HOW TO MAKE YELLOW RICE
Step 1. Rinse the rice and place all the ingredients in the Instant Pot. Secure the lid and set the pressure valve to ‘sealing.’
Step 2. Set the timer. Cook on high pressure.
- If you are using jasmine rice for this recipe, cook for 4 minutes with an 8-10 minute natural pressure release.
- For white rice or basmati, cook for 4 minutes with a quick pressure release.
- If you like your white rice (not jasmine) to be firmer, cook for 2 minutes, with a quick pressure release.
Step 3. Use the quick pressure release (unless noted above) when the timer beeps. Fluff with a fork. Enjoy!
Note: You can also make this yellow rice in a rice cooker. Follow the Instant Pot directions above and set your rice cooker to ‘cook’.
STOVE TOP YELLOW RICE
Make this stove-top yellow rice if you don’t have an Instant Pot or rice cooker.
Step 1. Rinse the rice and place all the ingredients in a medium saucepan.
Step 2. Bring the mixture to a boil, stir, reduce heat to a simmer.
Step 3. Cook until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed. Fluff with a fork and serve!
TO SERVE YELLOW RICE
Want to add a little more to your yellow rice? Try adding frozen peas and carrots or some chopped bell peppers! Add the veggies with the other ingredients before cooking and follow the same cooking instructions.
Or add black beans (or any other beans) to the rice after it is made. Personally, I recommend cooking the beans separately since they have a longer cooking time than rice, but you can always stir them into the rice before serving! Here’s my tutorial for Instant Pot beans.
Veggies and beans are great for adding even more nutrition and depth to this delicious yellow rice recipe.
Make this a chicken rice dinner. All you have to do is add the chicken to the rice! If you have shredded chicken already portioned out in the freezer from cooking a whole chicken, just grab a cup or two and stir it into the cooked rice. If you forgot to pull the chicken out of the freezer to thaw ahead of time, you can always add it to the rice before cooking and it will heat up while the rice cooks – talk about easy!
YELLOW RICE STORAGE
If you have leftover yellow rice, store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week.
I like to make extra and store in 1-2 cup portions in the freezer for super easy dinners later!
FLUFFY YELLOW RICE FAQS
How long do you cook yellow rice in a pressure cooker?
If you are using jasmine rice for this recipe, cook for 4 minutes with an 8-10 minute natural pressure release. For white rice or basmati, cook for 4 minutes with a quick pressure release. If you like your white rice (not jasmine) to be firmer, cook for 2 minutes, with a quick pressure release.
What is yellow rice made of?
Yellow rice contains turmeric. That’s the ingredient that gives the rice that vibrant yellow color! Turmeric is an amazing spice that actually has many health benefits, like anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. It also has great flavor. It’s a wonderful spice to cook with and to have on hand in your pantry.
Does yellow rice have a flavor?
This yellow rice recipe has the flavor of turmeric, salt, pepper, onions, and garlic. This rice is packed with delicious flavor for every bite!
Can you cook boxed rice in a rice cooker?
Certainly, but why spend money on artificial flavors and food coloring when making it yourself is so easy! Once you have turmeric in your spice cabinet, you can make yellow rice with any type of rice you have in the pantry, anytime you want!
MORE YUMMY RICE RECIPES
- Instant Pot Spanish Rice
- Instant Pot Parboiled Rice
- Instant Pot White Rice
- Instant Pot Lemon Rice
- Instant Pot Brown Rice
- Coconut Rice
- Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice
- How to Make Cauliflower Rice
Fight Inflation Workshop!Sign up for my FREE Fight Inflation Workshop and learn simple strategies to save money, even with rising food costs!
WATCH HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT YELLOW RICE
Instant Pot Yellow Rice
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 minutes
- Total Time: 9 minutes
- Yield: 2 cups 1x
- Category: Sides
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
- In a fine-mesh sieve, rinse the rice under running water for 1 full minute.
- Put all the ingredients in the Instant Pot and stir.
- Secure the lid and turn the knob to “sealing.”
- Cook on high pressure and release the pressure using the quick release. (If you are using Jasmine rice for this recipe, we cook for 4 minutes with an 8-10 minute natural pressure release. For white rice or Basmati, we recommend 4 minutes with a quick pressure release. If you like your white rice (not Jasmine) to be firmer, cook for 2 minutes, quick pressure release).
- Fluff the rice with a large fork and serve warm.
- Use a fork to fluff the rice, spatulas make the rice gummy.
- I like to use Jasmine rice for this recipe.
- Calories: 243
Keywords: yellow rice