This quick and delicious Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice (Chipotle-Copycat) is ready in only 4 minutes! Easily use white or brown rice, and try serving with our favorite Spicy Citrus Black Beans and the Best Slow Cooker Carnitas.
We don’t go out to eat very often, but when we do, my whole family likes Chipotle.
It’s fresh, the ingredients are simple, and the whole family can walk away with paying around $20.
But sometimes I want to have the flavor of Chipotle at home, without having to drive in the rain or battle Atlanta traffic… or just because.
That’s when this Chipotle-copycat recipe for cilantro lime rice – made in the Instant Pot – is a must!
Cilantro Lime Rice Recipe (Chipotle-copycat)
As much as I like the real cilantro lime rice at Chipotle, there are a few legit reasons why you should consider making it at home.
- You can make a lot. Easily make a 2x or 3x batch in the Instant Pot and freeze it for a fast dinner later.
- You can control the salt. Chipotle’s rice ITSELF isn’t salty, but when you add it to a bowl with all the other things… we’ve had our fair share of “too salty” burritos.
- It’s easy. Dump + stir + press the button.
- It’s fast. We’re talking a FOUR minute cooking time here folks.
- You can make brown rice. Run out of white or just prefer brown? No problem. Just adjust the cook time. Everything else stays the same.
Plus, it’s good! This version of cilantro lime rice went head to head with Chipotle version and the kids didn’t know the difference. And my husband and I both prefer the homemade version anyway!
Cilantro Lime Rice Recipe Ingredients
The recipe for cilantro lime rice is pretty straight-forward and you only need a few ingredients (which you probably already have at home):
- White or brown works.
- Lime Juice. Fresh or bottled.
- Lemon Juice. Fresh or bottled.
- Bay Leaf.
- Fresh Cilantro.
How to Make Cilantro Lime Rice in the Instant Pot
If you’ve never made a recipe in the Instant Pot before, you’re in for a treat. As of this post, I’ve made this recipe no less than 6 times and every time it’s turned out perfectly!
- Combine rice + water + bay leaf in the Instant Pot.
- Cook for 4 minutes on high pressure.
- Release the pressure, stir in the rest of the ingredients and serve warm.
Really, that’s it!
How can I make a bigger batch of cilantro lime rice?
Simple – just double (or triple) the ingredients. The cook time stays the same!
Can I substitute for fresh cilantro?
The flavor of fresh cilantro cannot be beat, but if you’re in a pinch, dried cilantro should work. I’ve also used ground coriander before (which is ground cilantro seeds). Both substitution options will change the rice slightly in the end, but it’s still very good!
Can I make cilantro lime brown rice in my Instant Pot or pressure cooker instead?
Yes! Substitute brown rice for white rice and adjust the cook time to 22 minutes on high pressure.
I wrote an articles on 20+ things to consider before buying an Instant Pot that I highly recommend reading if you haven’t purchased an Instant Pot yet and are still on the fence (including being unsure of what size to get). I use this 8 Quart Instant Pot.
What should I serve with cilantro lime rice?
For More Quick and Easy Sides…
- Instant Pot Brown Rice
- Quick and Easy Cauliflower Rice
- Instant Pot Spanish Rice
- Instant Pot Yellow Rice
- Steamed Vegetables
Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice
This quick and delicious Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice (Chipotle Copycat) is ready in only 4 minutes! Easily use white or brown rice!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 4 mins
- Total Time: 9 mins
- Yield: 2 cups 1x
- Category: American
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Sides
- 2 cups white rice (I use Jasmine)
- 2 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 4 Tbsp cilantro, chopped finely
- In an Instant Pot, combine the rice, water, bay leaf and salt. Cook on high pressure for 4 minutes. Release the pressure using Quick Pressure Release.
- Fluff the rice with a large fork. Stir in the lemon juice and lime juice and cilantro. Serve hot or warm. Freeze leftovers in 2 cup portions for a fast meal in the future!