These Crockpot Chicken Fajitas turn out so flavorful, juicy and tender! Made with just 4 ingredients, they’re nearly hands off, and freezer-friendly! Serve with easy homemade salsa, guacamole, and lime crema.
Anytime we go out for Mexican, my husband and I always order fajitas.
Sometimes it’s beef, sometimes it’s chicken, but we love knowing that our meal is mostly vegetables and protein, and SO, SO GOOD!
Since it’s cheaper to cook at home than it is to go out, I started looking for a great crockpot chicken fajita recipe that would live up to our expectations. And after several rounds of testing, I finally created one that made the cut!
Easy Crockpot Chicken Fajitas
I’m not joking when I say that I made A LOT of chicken fajitas while testing this recipe.
Some were boring, some were too watery, some had really tough chicken… most were nothing like the fajitas we get when we go out to dinner.
Finally though, I created a recipe that was:
- Packed full of flavor. There is no way these crockpot chicken fajitas will turn out boring or bland!
- Nearly hands-off. The slow cooker (or Crockpot) does all the cooking, so you can go do other things that are more important.
- Juicy and tender. The chicken is perfectly juicy and tender, every time!
- Easy to make ahead. You can prep the ingredients ahead of time if you’re super pressed for time!
- Freezer-friendly. You can either put the prepped ingredients in a freezer-safe bag, or put up the cooked chicken fajitas. Either way, it’s a meal ready for a quick dinner later on!
- Ready in 4 hours. A short 4 hour cook time means dinner is ready crazy fast, and you didn’t even have to do anything!
4 Ingredient Crockpot Chicken Fajitas
These best crockpot chicken fajitas only calls for four ingredients:
- Bell peppers
- Homemade taco seasoning
- Chicken thighs
Should you use McCormick spices or homemade?
Something in McCormick that makes me gassy! Plus using your own spice blend lets you customize how much flavor and spice you want for your chicken fajitas.
Can you use chicken fajita seasoning?
Sure! If you like chicken fajita seasoning, then use what you like! As I said earlier though, I tested SO MANY variations of this recipe and found that many were lacking in flavor.
The spices I use in this recipe are tried and true, and won’t leave your dish boring or plain!
Why no chicken fajitas with cream cheese?
I add cream cheese to my slow cooker chicken chili, but I wanted to re-create the fajitas that we’ve grown to love at local restaurants… and they definitely don’t add cream cheese!
You’re welcome to add 8 oz of cream cheese if you want. Add it at the very end, after you’ve removed some of the excess liquid from the fajitas.
How to Make the Best Slow Cooker Chicken Fajita Recipe
The biggest issue I came across while testing this recipe was the fact that the ingredients released juices while cooking, creating a “soup” of sorts when it was done cooking.
Unfortunately, all of the spices that I had used got lost in those juices, and our fajitas were left tasting bland and boring. And let’s be honest – no one wants bland and boring chicken fajitas!
I increased the spices a little, and then a little more, and finally got the right ratio to make the best chicken fajita recipe!
You can make this a freezer meal to dump and go!
Do you serve crockpot chicken fajitas with rice?
I like to serve crock pot chicken fajitas with cilantro lime rice or cauliflower rice, but you can also serve it with plain Instant Pot brown rice if you prefer!
What else to serve with slow cooker chicken fajitas:
Other Easy Crockpot Dinners
- Healthier Crockpot Hot Chocolate
- Slow Cooker Quinoa Chicken Cacciatore
- The Best Slow Cooker Carnitas
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin Chili
- Easy Slow Cooker Brisket
Chicken Meal Prep PlanSign up to get instant access to my Chicken Meal Prep Plan, complete with recipes and shopping list!
Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas
These Crockpot Chicken Fajitas turn out so flavorful, juicy and tender! Made with just 4 ingredients, they’re nearly hands off, and freezer-friendly!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Total Time: 4 hours 15 minutes
- Yield: 4–6 Servings 1x
- Category: Main Meals
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 1 batch homemade taco seasoning (recipe below)
- 4 large bell peppers (any color), sliced into strips
- 4 onions, sliced into strips
- 1 ½ lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into strips
- For Serving (as desired): tortillas, sour cream, guacamole, shredded cheese, salsa, cilantro, diced jalapeno, etc.
- Prepare the homemade taco seasoning (see notes below for ingredients)
- In a large crockpot (I have this 6 quart slow cooker), layer half of the bell peppers, half of the onions, and half of the chicken. Sprinkle half of the homemade taco seasoning over the peppers, onions and chicken.
- Repeat this same process – layer the remaining bell peppers, onions and chicken and sprinkle the rest of the homemade taco seasoning over.
- Turn the slow cooker on low and cook for 4 hours.
- When the slow cooker is done, use a glass measuring cup to carefully scoop out the excess liquid. You’ll need to do this in batches, to get as much liquid out as possible.
- Serve tucked inside tortillas or on top a bed of rice with desired toppings.
Prepare the homemade taco seasoning:
- 2 Tbsp chili
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic
- 1/2 tsp onion
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp oregano
Mix well to combine.
Leave a Comment