This easy Slow Cooker Brisket comes out so tender and juicy. This hands-free recipe simmers in tangy homemade BBQ sauce, and can even be doubled or tripled! Perfect for batch cooking, or serving a group! Pairs wonderfully with Instant Pot Steamed Vegetables.
Of course, I didn’t realize how much I enjoyed brisket until I moved away…and realized that few restaurants had brisket on their menu.
So I went out to find an awesome beef brisket recipe that reminded me of what I had growing up for Sunday supper, with one small exception – I wasn’t going to stand at the grill for hours!
This melt-in-your-mouth slow cooker beef brisket fits this bill – tender, juicy beef that’s worthy enough to serve at any backyard BBQ!
Easy Slow Cooker Brisket
The first time I made this easy slow cooker brisket recipe, I fell in love –
- No oven. It’s made in the slow cooker, meaning 99% hands-free.
- The meat comes out soft, tender, and juicy. A perfect comfort food!
- Can be prepared the night before.
- The homemade BBQ sauce cooks alongside the meat.
- Basic, simple, everyday ingredients (nothing fancy).
- Can be doubled or tripled (as long as your slow cooker is big enough!).
Ingredients for Slow Cooker Brisket
The ingredients for my slow cooker brisket recipe are staples you’ll find in almost any pantry:
- Meat: beef brisket OR chuck roast
- Spices: kosher salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano
- Sauce-maker: cornstarch (or arrowroot powder), water
- Vegetables: onion, garlic
- Liquid: beef broth, soy sauce (or coconut aminos), ketchup
Exclusive for Crumbs Readers
Butcher Box delivers grass-fed beef, pasture-raised and organic chicken, and heritage pork directly to your front door each month. You can read my honest review on Butcher Box here, and also my updated Butcher Box review here.
The search for high-quality meat ends here. Amazing taste. Humanely raised and delivered to your door. Sign up today! Click this link to claim the current offer!
Meat Substitution Tip
Beef brisket is NOT a cheap cut of meat, so I generally swap it out for a chuck roast.
- Chuck roast is much more affordable, plus it’s usually cut into a 3-pound pot roast… unlike brisket, which I couldn’t find for under 14 pounds!
- The brisket won’t be EXACT, but if you’re going to shred it or even roughly slice the meat, you won’t even notice the difference with a less expensive cut of meat.
How to Make Beef Brisket in the Slow Cooker
Step 1. Mix the spices in a mug or small bowl and rub the mixture all over the meat, on all sides.
Step 2. Then layer the onion, then the garlic.
Step 3. Whisk together the liquids and pour the mixture over the onions and garlic. Then add the meat with the fat cap down, and cook on LOW heat for 8 hours.
Step 4. Finally, slice the meat and serve with the sauce on top!
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two days. Can also be stored in the freezer for up to three months.
How to Serve
Last but not least, let’s talk about how to serve this tasty slow cooker beef brisket. You can slice the meat as suggested or you can get creative with it!
- Wraps. Try this homemade flour tortilla recipe or corn tortillas.
- Brisket Tacos. Top with this homemade slaw.
- Sandwiches. Try this easy bread recipe.
FAQs for Slow Cooker Beef Brisket
Do you have to brown the beef before putting it in a slow cooker?
No – I’ve tested this recipe both browning the meat and skipping that step and the final result wasn’t much different. Save time and skip browning the meat!
Can you overcook brisket in a slow cooker?
You can overcook it in a slow cooker. Make sure to follow the recipe and you will end up will delicious and tender meat.
Does the brisket need to be slow-cooked in liquid?
Yes, the brisket needs to be cooked in liquid. That’s where the beef broth comes in!
Why is my brisket tough in the slow cooker?
There’s always a chance meat will come out tough, thanks to tendons and such in the animal. However, your meat will more than likely soften if you cook it on LOW for a longer period. If you try to rush the brisket, you run the chance of it turning out tough.
Side Dishes that go with Crock Pot Brisket
Obviously, we need some sides to go with this slow cooker brisket and make it a meal. So here are some of my favorites:
- Kale Caesar Salad
- Mashed Potatoes
- Creamy Coleslaw
- Steamed Vegetables
- Baked Beans
- Parmesan Crisps
- Lemon Butter Asparagus
- Baked Potato
- Mac and Cheese
- Cast Iron Skillet Cornbread
More Slow Cooker Dinners
- All-Purpose Slow Cooker Chicken
- Slow Cooker Osso Buco
- White Chicken Chili
- Perfectly Tender Slow Cooker Ribs
- Salsa Chicken
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin Chili
$50 Weekly Meal PlanSign up to get instant access to my $50 Weekly Meal Plan, complete with recipes and shopping list!
Slow Cooker Brisket
This easy Slow Cooker Brisket comes out so tender and juicy. Hands-free recipe, simmers in tangy homemade BBQ sauce, and can even be doubled or tripled! Perfect for batch cooking, or serving a group!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 hours
- Total Time: 8 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4-6 1x
- Category: Main Meals
- Method: Slow cooker
- Cuisine: American
- 3 – 3 ½ lb beef brisket (not corned beef) OR chuck roast
- 1 tsp each: salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, dried oregano
- 4 garlic cloves, minced (about 4 tsp)
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 cup beef broth
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce (or coconut aminos)
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch (or arrowroot powder)
- 3 Tbsp water
- In a mug or small bowl, mix together the salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and dried oregano. Liberally rub the seasoning mix all over the roast. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the beef broth, soy sauce, and ketchup.
- In the slow cooker, layer the onions and garlic. Pour the beef broth mixture over the onions and garlic. Place the roast on top and cook on LOW for 8 hours.
- When the meat is done, remove it from the slow cooker and turn the temperature up to HIGH.
- Combine the cornstarch and water in a small mug and whisk into the sauce in the slow cooker. The sauce will thicken after 2-3 minutes.
- Slice the roast against the grain, or shred with two forks, and serve with the sauce.
- Calories: 693
Keywords: slow cooker brisket, beef brisket slow cooker, slow cooker brisket of beef, slow cooker brisket recipe, crock pot brisket, beef brisket recipe slow cooker, beef brisket slow cooker recipe, crock pot brisket recipe, how to cook brisket in slow cooker, crock pot beef brisket