Try this easy Kale Caesar Salad recipe that is super versatile with vegetarian and dairy-free options! Enjoy year-round with grilled chicken or by using our delicious Slow Cooker Chicken recipe. Top it off perfectly with some fresh homemade croutons!
My husband used to hate a lot of healthy foods, like mushrooms, ground beef and beans.
He also used to hate kale. Then I introduced him to a couple new kale salads – one of which is this kale Caesar salad – and he officially converted!
He didn’t come right out and tell me so, but the fact that he went back for seconds and even ASKED for kale salad later in the week was all the sign I need!
Easy Kale Caesar Salad
If you’ve never made kale Caesar salad before, you’re in for a treat. Not only is it BRAIN DEAD EASY, but it’s also:
- Leftover friendly. Kale doesn’t get soggy like lettuce!
- Perfect for making ahead of time.
- An easy way to get a vegetable you ordinarily wouldn’t.
- In season in cooler temperatures.
- Just as versatile as any other Caesar salad!
As-is, this kale Caesar salad is vegetarian (with dairy-free options in the dressing), but add some grilled chicken or chicken from a slow cooker and some homemade croutons and you’ll have a full meal in just a few minutes!
Ingredients for Creamy Kale Caesar Salad Recipe
You need just four simple ingredients for this easy kale Caesar salad recipe:
- Shredded Kale. I like to buy the pre-bagged, pre-washed kind and shred it myself.
- Caesar dressing. Choose from my original homemade Caesar salad dressing recipe or my latest no-mayo Caesar dressing (that has a dairy-free option).
- Olive Oil
- Lemon Juice
How do you make kale less bitter for salad?
That’s what the olive oil and lemon juice are for! The secret to making kale less bitter is massaging the kale for a good minute. Don’t worry – I’ve included this in the instructions for the recipe.
How do you shred kale?
Shredded kale really does taste best, and the easiest way to do this is to put the pre-washed kale in a big bowl and use a pair of kitchen scissors to cut it up. It takes me about one minute to thoroughly cut up a pound of kale.
It’s not hard at all, and well worth it so that you have small pieces of tender kale to enjoy, rather than chewing on big, tough, stems pieces!
How to Make Kale Chicken Caesar Salad
Pulling this salad together is really easy and straight-forward:
- Use your hands to rub olive oil and lemon juice all over and into the shredded kale.
- Toss with Caesar dressing and chicken, if you’re using.
- Serve immediately, or store in the fridge!
If you’re making this ahead of time, I’d recommend massaging the kale leaves earlier in the day and waiting to toss the kale with the salad dressing until you’re ready to serve.
What to serve kale Caesar salad with?
This salad would go really well with slow cooker pot roast or even this delicious Chicken Piccata Recipe. If you’re looking for an easy dessert, Healthy Homemade Chocolate Pie is one of our favorites!
Other Easy Salad Recipes
- Cranberry Apple Spinach Salad
- Sweet Kale Salad (Costco Copycat)
- Roasted Vegetable Kale Salad
- Chicken Southwest Salad
- Easy Italian Pasta Salad
Dinner on a DimeSubscribe to my newsletter and get instant access to “Dinner on a Dime”: 15+ family-friendly and kid-approved recipes that are quick, cheap and healthy!
Kale Caesar Salad
Try this easy Kale Caesar Salad recipe that is super versatile with vegetarian and dairy-free options! Enjoy year-round with grilled chicken or by using our delicious Slow Cooker Chicken recipe.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 0 min
- Total Time: 20 min
- Yield: serves 4 1x
- Category: Soup & Salad
- Method: Chop, blend
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 1 pound kale
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- Caesar dressing
Caesar Dressing (no-mayo version)
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt (full-fat preferred)
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 oz anchovy filets, drained
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- 1 tsp spicy brown mustard
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup Parmesan, shredded (optional)
- Wash and dry the kale. Place it in a large bowl and using a pair of kitchen scissors, cut the kale into very small pieces.
- Add 1 Tbsp olive oil and 1 Tbsp lemon juice to the kale leaves and using your hands, massage the leaves very well for one full minute.
Prepare the Caesar Salad Dressing (no-mayo)
- Combine all of the ingredients in a blender or food processor.
- Blend or process until smooth, about 30 seconds. Serve immediately or store in a jar with a lid for 3-5 days. Shake gently before serving.
Toss the salad dressing with the kale using a pair of tongs. Serve as desired!
Note: I included my no-mayo salad dressing recipe simply because it’s a little lighter. If you want the full, rich version, here’s that recipe.
Caesar Salad Dressing
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 2 tsp spicy brown mustard
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 oz anchovy fillets, drained
- 1 lemon, juiced (about 2 Tbsp juice)
- Combine all ingredients in a blender. Puree on low until smooth, about 30-45 seconds.
Keywords: Kale Caesar Salad