I don’t remember the first time I made chicken piccata, but I do remember my family’s reaction.
I told my daughter that I was making this for dinner, and she turned her nose up at me and gave me the stink eye.
Then at dinner, she took a bite and told me she was sorry for the ugly face because the chicken was SO GOOD!
I love it when that happens, and I want to share with you the chicken piccata recipe that made my daughter a believer!
Chicken Piccata Recipe
I agree with my family that this is a really good recipe, but I have my own reasons for liking it too:
- Simple enough for a nice family dinner.
- It’s fancy enough to host the boss for dinner.
- Works with chicken or fish (if there’s a sale on one or the other).
- It comes together quickly.
- Reheats well!
I know these are “mom” reasons. But they’re still legit.
I don’t like fighting with my family over dinner, so when I make something that’s a bit more sophisticated than homemade hamburger helper and they like it, I call it a winner!
Plus it’s WAY healthier than the version at Olive Garden!
Lemon Chicken Piccata Ingredients
The ingredients for lemon chicken piccata are very basic, but don’t let that fool you. This dinner is AMAZING!
- Chicken breasts
- Salt & pepper
- Olive oil
- Chicken stock (here’s how to make it homemade)
- Lemon juice
- Capers (they’re really great for you and have anti-inflammatory benefits!)
- Dried parsley (optional, for garnish)
Do you have to rinse capers?
No! Capers come in a brine that is part of their unique flavor. We like them straight out of a jar.
Can you make lemon caper chicken thighs?
You can use chicken thighs, but they will take longer to cook. When I use chicken breasts, this dish is ready in under 30 minutes. Chicken thighs will make your total cook time closer to 45 minutes.
How to Make Lemon Caper Chicken
- Preheat a cast-iron skillet and season your flour in a small dish.
- Melt the butter and olive oil in the skillet, coat the chicken and cook until medium brown.
- Flip the chicken, finish cooking and make the lemony sauce!
What goes well with this lemon caper chicken piccata recipe?
Other Easy Chicken Recipes
- White Chicken Chili
- Jamaican Jerk Chicken
- Sweet and Sour Chicken
- Almond Crusted Chicken
- Honey Garlic Chicken
Chicken Piccata Recipe
Easy and healthy lemon caper chicken piccata recipe! Use chicken breasts, thighs, or make with fish. Makes a delicious lemon sauce that’s perfect with rice.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4 1x
- Category: Main
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- 2 chicken breasts, pounded out to approx ½ inch thick and each breast cut in half for a total of 4 pieces of meat
- ¼ cup flour
- Salt for seasoning
- 2–4 Tbsp olive oil
- 3–4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- ½ cup chicken stock
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1–2 Tbsp capers
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley (or 1 Tbsp dried)
- Sprinkle chicken lightly with salt and dredge both sides in flour to coat. Warm 1 tablespoon of butter and 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium heat until butter melts.
- Saute 1-2 breasts (depending on the size of your pan), turning once, until browned on both sides and cooked through. Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm. Repeat with another tablespoon of butter and olive oil and remaining chicken until all pieces are cooked.
- Pour chicken stock and lemon juice into the skillet and bring to a boil, stirring to bring up the cooked-on pieces of chicken. Remove from heat and stir in capers, parsley and 1 tablespoon of butter, stirring until the butter melts. Serve immediately.