One of my favorite salad dressings has always been Caesar salad dressing, but I’ve honestly been too scared to make it because of the eggs and anchovies!
I started making my own salad dressings several years ago, back when I found out that most of them contained harmful hydrogenated oils.
Thankfully, I’ve overcome my fear and after some testing, I’ve found the perfect, no-fail recipe for homemade Caesar salad dressing!
Homemade Caesar Salad Dressing
This great recipe for Caesar salad dressing is inspired by a Caesar dressing my step-mom made for 8 years. Making Caesar dressing was her specialty and she was so good at it that not only did the kids literally cheer when she served it at family dinners, but she intentionally made extras for us to take home too.
Although I know our methods for making the dressing are different, mine has her same signature tang and it’s one of the easiest dressings I’ve ever made. Plus the kids are still cheering when I say we’re having Caesar salad for dinner! Here’s why I love this recipe:
- Simple. It comes together with a few ingredients!
- Delicious. My kids LOVE this dressing.
- Real food ingredients. No questionable ingredients here!
- Super easy to make. Combine the ingredients in a blender and that’s it!
- Versatile. You can easily swap ingredients to tweak this recipe.
What is authentic caesar salad dressing made of?
This easy recipe uses these simple real food ingredients:
- Mayonnaise (how to make it homemade)
- Yogurt (how to make it homemade)
- Spicy brown mustard (You can use Dijon mustard or yellow mustard if you need to)
- Garlic cloves
- Worcestershire sauce
- Black pepper
- Anchovy fillets
- Lemon juice (If you want more lemon, consider adding some lemon zest)
Speaking of ingredients, you can make tons of swaps in this recipe to customize it to your liking, and to use what you have on hand:
- Use Greek yogurt for a thicker dressing, plain yogurt for thinner.
- If you don’t have fresh garlic, use 1/8 tsp garlic powder for each garlic clove.
As always, adjust the ingredients to your own liking. I love the dressing as written, but if you like it saltier, add more anchovies. If you want to make it with more mayo and less yogurt (whether for taste or because of pantry limitations), go for it!
Can you make classic Caesar salad Dressing without Parmesean Cheese?
Many Caesar salad dressing recipes call for adding Parmesan cheese. Parmesan IS a required element in Caesar salad, but I don’t think it’s necessary for the dressing itself, which is why I do not list it as an ingredient.
As I was developing this recipe, I experimented with several versions of recipes using Parmesan, including grated parmesan, and wasn’t pleased with any of them. As soon as I made my recipe without it, it was a winner!
As a bonus, skipping the Parmesan in the Caesar dressing helps keep our costs down on the dressing, since quality Parmesan cheese is not cheap.
Can you make easy caesar salad dressing without anchovies?
You can substitute anchovy paste for anchovy fillets in this recipe. I recommend starting with 2 tsp. I do not recommend leaving out this ingredient all together.
Are you able to make this a Kefir caesar salad dressing?
I have not tried subbing some of the ingredients for Kefir. If you try this, let me know in the comments!
How to Make the Healthiest Caesar Dressing Recipe
You won’t believe how easy this salad dressing is to make!
- Simply combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor. Puree on low until smooth, about 30-45 seconds.
That’s it! It comes together in minutes.
What makes the best caesar salad dressing?
Personally, I believe that making caesar salad dressing from scratch is what makes the best caesar dressing. Everything is always better homemade, plus it is better for you!
Is traditional caesar dressing bad for you?
One of the best parts of making your own homemade Caesar salad dressing is having 100%, full control over the ingredients. There won’t be any trans fats, artificial sweeteners or MSG’s – all of which are ingredients that should be avoided whenever possible.
This recipe is much healthier than store-bought Caesar salad dressing!
How long does Caesar dressing made from scratch last?
Because of the mayonnaise in this recipe, I recommend a shelf-life of about a week for the dressing. Fortunately, this recipe doesn’t make enormous portions, so using it up before it goes bad shouldn’t be too difficult!
Favorite Recipes for Using Homemade Caesar Salad Dressing
- Kale Caesar Salad
- Bacon Grilled Chicken Caesar Wraps
- Serve on a salad topped with homemade croutons and almond crusted chicken
- Use as a dip for fresh veggies or wings.
- Top Cobb Pasta Salad with this dressing for added flavor
Other Easy Salad Dressing Recipes
- No Mayo Caesar Dressing
- Almond Sesame Ginger Dressing
- Cilantro Lime Vinaigrette
- Homemade Italian Dressing
- Greek Salad Dressing
- Ranch Dressing
Caesar Salad Dressing
Authentic Caesar salad dressing recipe that uses healthy ingredients and is so easy to make! This traditional dressing is great on salads, wraps, & more!
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 0 min
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 2 cups 1x
- Category: Sauces/Condiments
- Method: Blender
- Cuisine: American
- Combine all ingredients in a blender. Puree on low until smooth, about 30-45 seconds.