Quick & easy recipe for homemade dairy-free alfredo sauce made with coconut & almond milk – no cashews! Way better than store-bought and ready in minutes! Perfect with pasta & oven-roasted chicken.
I’m not opposed to dairy, but after finishing the Whole30, my family and I realized that we do best when we keep dairy to a minimum.
For example, fresh mozzarella on homemade pizza? We’re good.
Rich and creamy homemade alfredo sauce? Not so good.
Fortunately, though, I created a dairy-free alfredo sauce recipe that tastes so good, we think it might be even BETTER than my regular version!!
Easy Dairy-free Alfredo Sauce
There are a lot of dairy-free alfredo sauce recipes out there, but it was important to me that I make one that was:
- Brain. Dead. Easy.
- Simple. I need to use pantry staples people. No special ingredients.
- Quick. I need the sauce done when the noodles are.
- Made with 100% whole foods only. Nothing weird going on here.
- No cashews. Love them in my vegan cheese sauce, but not here.
- No chicken stock or chicken broth.
- Better than store-bought. Yep, you heard me! Move on over Kroger and Walmart, this recipe has you beat!
And on top of this, I needed a sauce that my picky eaters LOVE. Not just tolerate. I mean, I needed them to lick-their-plates it’s so good…
And this dairy-free alfredo sauce fits the bill!
Simple Ingredients for Dairy-free Alfredo Sauce Recipe
Believe it or not, you only need a few basic pantry staples to make this simple alfredo sauce:
- Olive Oil
- Full Fat Canned Coconut Milk
- Almond Milk
- Nutritional Yeast
- Salt & Pepper
How do you make something creamy without dairy?
This alfredo sauce is rich and creamy thanks to the coconut milk!
Can you make dairy-free alfredo sauce with almond milk?
Yes! We like the creaminess that the coconut milk gives, but you can use almond milk if you’d prefer.
How to Make Gluten-free Dairy-free Alfredo Sauce
This alfredo sauce comes together really quickly, so make sure you have everything ready before you start.
- Warm the garlic in the oil; add the flour and prepare a roux.
- Slowly add the almond milk, whisking as you add.
- Add the remaining ingredients, turn the heat up to thicken, and serve when it’s done!
Want to make dairy-free chicken alfredo?
Toss with the sauce and you’re good to go!
How do you make alfredo sauce from scratch without parmesan?
Follow this recipe! There’s no parmesan, but instead just a bit of nutritional yeast for that rich, umami flavor you get from traditional cheese.
What to serve with alfredo sauce?
- Serve with pasta (did you know you can freeze cooked pasta?)
- With all-purpose slow cooker chicken.
- As a sauce for homemade pizza.
- With easy-roasted broccoli.
Other Dairy-free Sauces
Two Week SampleDo you need step-by-step help with meal planning? Frugal Real Food Meal Plans is an all-in-one meal plan with recipes, shopping lists, shopping guides, money saving tips and more! Sign up below for a free sample!
Dairy-free Alfredo Sauce
Quick & easy recipe for homemade dairy-free alfredo sauce made with coconut & almond milk – no cashews! Way better than store-bought and ready in minutes!
- Prep Time: 2 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 12 minutes
- Yield: 1 cup 1x
- Category: Sauces & Condiments
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp minced garlic (about 2 cloves)
- 2 Tbsp flour (any kind)
- ½ cup almond milk
- ½ cup full-fat canned coconut milk
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- In a medium stockpot, warm the oil and the garlic over low heat JUST until the garlic is fragrant.
- Increase the heat to medium and add the flour. Cook the flour, stirring often, for one minute.
- Slowly add the almond milk while whisking well, so that the almond milk and the flour make a thick paste after each addition. (I highly recommend using a flat-bottomed whisk for this step.)
- Add the remaining ingredients and keep the sauce at medium. Cook for 5-7 minutes and the sauce will thicken as it cooks.
- Serve as desired, or over chicken and fettuccine noodles!