Do you struggle with not having enough time? These tried and true time-saving kitchen hacks from a real mom will help to make your day run smoother and save you precious minutes off each hour and make things easier on the kitchen as a whole! Also, see my 14 Easy Baking Hacks for Home Bakers.
Can you identify with any of the following?
- Hours in the kitchen cooking for your family?
- Mountains of dishes and pots to wash?
- Cupboards overflowing with food that needs to be prepared before you can enjoy it?
Real food is hard work!
When you embrace real food, you’ll find yourself spending time on things you used to take for granted. Like making gallons of homemade yogurt and chicken stock every week. You’ve probably found you need to find the most efficient way to do things and make every minute count!
I’m all about efficiency! I’ve got systems for doing the laundry and making decisions, to name just a few. And I put tons of shortcuts to work in the kitchen which make life easier.
To help you out, I’ve gathered some of my tried-and-true favorite kitchen hacks that actually work to save you TONS of time.
28 Kitchen Hacks to Save You Time & Make Cooking Easy
1. Leave the measuring scoop in the container.
Your scoop won’t go anywhere. Really.
2. Skip the measuring – just eyeball it.
3. Use a stand mixer.
4. Put dirty dishes, measuring cups, spoons, etc. right in the dishwasher.
5. Keep a printed shopping list of common staples on the fridge.
Check off things as they get low and bring the list next time you go to the store.
6. Teach your kids to clean up the kitchen.
This seriously saves me so much time and is an important skill for kids to know!
7. Serve right from the pot.
Why dirty a serving dish for an ordinary dinner?
8. Teach your kids to clear their places.
Even toddlers can help!
9. Program the coffee maker.
Program it at night to brew when you wake up in the morning.
10. Use the slow cooker.
11. Turn your peanut butter jar upside down.
Instead of having a hard time stirring the oil in peanut butter, store the jar upside down. When you are ready to use it, turn it right-side up and it is ready to use with minimal stirring!
12. Take the time to organize your kitchen every couple of months.
Things can get out of hand in a real food kitchen and you’ll probably benefit from some organization.
If the thought of this task is unappealing, take some inspiration from my 9 Rules for Organizing the Real Food Kitchen (even if you don’t feel like it). This will also create more food storage!
13. Line your baking pans with foil.
14. Attach a half teaspoon right to the baking powder jar with a rubber band.
15. Clean as you go.
Who wants to tackle a mountain of dishes? It’s much easier to quickly wash a mixing bowl right after use than to let them pile up.
16. Keep a running shopping list for each store (online and physical).
Keep track of the items you use and the items buy in bulk. You’ll save tons of time (and money) in creating a list and while shopping (especially when you combine it with tip #5).
17. Order non-perishables online.
18. Use newspaper to line your produce drawers.
It’s frugal, super easy to change, and you won’t have to clean the drawers. Parchment paper or a paper towel would work too.
19. Keep all your spice jars in a basket or a bin.
20. Utilize your oven as a proofing drawer.
Kitchens can sometimes be too cool to get good proof for homemade bread. When this happens, the best option is to place your dough in the oven.
21. Make up a baking supplies basket.
No more walking back and forth to the cabinet for each ingredient. Plus, the cabinet stays much neater.
22. Make a double (or quadruple!) batch.
23. Meal plan.
You’ll avoid the mental fatigue of deciding what to cook at 5:00. Find out how to meal plan and make it work, here.
24. Keep it simple.
Simple meals are the easiest and can taste delicious! For some meal ideas, check here.
25. Keep an emergency meal or two.
A box of pasta and a jar of spaghetti sauce for those days when life’s busyness just gets in the way. Start building up your stockpile.
FAQs for Kitchen Hacks
How can I make my daily cooking easier?
What should I have in my kitchen at all times?
How do I stop being overwhelmed by cooking?
When you apply these kitchen hacks, it will eliminate the stress that can come with cooking.
More Favorite Cooking Hacks
26. Have a few go-to meals.
I can cook a few things almost in my sleep and they take practically no time to put together.
27. Use baking pans as trays.
Baking pans aren’t just for baking. Use sheet pans as a tray to keep your ingredients on. This will keep your ingredients in one place. This will also ensure a quick cleanup.
28. Place a damp towel underneath your bowl.
Professional chefs advise that when you place a damp dish towel under your mixing bowl it will keep it from moving on your counter as you mix. No more mess! This works with a wooden cutting board as well!
For even more ways to save time in the kitchen, see my top 10 time-saving kitchen tools. The right tools can make ALL the difference in a well-used real food kitchen.
More Helpful Food Hacks
- 14 Easy Baking Hacks for Home Bakers
- How to Meal Plan and Make It Work
- Eating Real Food on a Budget
- 18 Hacks for Packing School Lunch
- How to Raise Backyard Chickens