This healthy Chocolate Banana Bread is made with whole grains and natural sweetener. A freezer-friendly, one-bowl recipe, can be double or triple batched! Serve with a warm cinnamon dolce latte for a perfect guilt-free breakfast!
I’m sure there are plenty of things you can make with brown bananas, but the first thing that comes to mind (aside from banana nice cream) is banana bread.
This caramelized banana bread is my go-to recipe because it’s whole grain, naturally sweetened and REALLY good.
But when my daughter said she was getting tired of banana bread (after having it for breakfast 3 weeks straight), I had to come up with an alternate plan that was still just as healthy and delicious, but different enough to appease her.
So I did what any other woman would do… I added chocolate.
If you like banana bread, this chocolate banana bread recipe is going to knock your socks off!
Healthy Chocolate Banana Bread
I know there are a lot of banana bread recipes on the internet, but here’s why I like this one the best:
- One Bowl + Blender = minimal dishes
- Batter comes together in less than 5 minutes
- Easy to double or triple
- Converts to muffins easily
- Whole grain
- Naturally sweetened
- Guilt-free morning chocolate fix 😉
Double Chocolate Banana Bread Ingredients
The list of ingredients for chocolate banana bread is really short:
- Bananas (ripe or brown – see my note below)
- Coconut sugar
- Coconut oil
- Flour (all-purpose or whole grain)
- Cocoa powder
- Baking soda
- Chocolate Chips (optional)
What should the bananas look like when you make banana bread?
Most banana bread recipes call for “brown bananas,” which could range anywhere from small brown spots to big brown spots to nearly completely brown and soft.
The darker your banana, the sweeter the bread will be, but I’ve made this banana bread with ripe bananas (without any brown spots) and it was absolutely delicious.
I say it doesn’t matter what your bananas look like – make this chocolate banana bread recipe anyway!
How to Make the Best Chocolate Banana Bread Recipe
I’ve made the best chocolate banana bread recipe dozens of times, yet it always surprises me at how quick and easy this recipe is to make.
- In a blender, combine all the wet ingredients and the sugar. Process until it’s smooth. Meanwhile, whisk together the remaining dry ingredients, except the chocolate chips, in a large bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, stir together, and pour into a prepared 9”x5” loaf pan.
- Bake and enjoy!
Why did my banana bread fall in the center?
This has happened to me! I figured out that banana bread will fall into the center of the pan, if it is too small and if it is overfilled. Over mixing the batter will have the same outcome. Otherwise, you will have soft and delicious banana bread!
Make sure the oven temperature is accurate, so that it is all baked evenly.
How to Freeze Chocolate Banana Bread Recipe
Because this chocolate banana bread recipe is so easy to make, and comes together so quickly, I almost always make a double or triple batch.
To do this, I make one batch and pour it into the loaf pan. Then WITHOUT CLEANING OR RINSING, I re-use the blender and bowl to make a second batch. When that one is in the loaf pan, I re-use the blender and bowl AGAIN WITHOUT RINSING OR CLEANING and make a third batch.
What to Serve with Chocolate Banana Bread
Other Easy Quick Bread Recipes
30 Minute Dinners 3-Day Meal PlanSign up to get instant access to my 30 Minute Dinners 3-Day Meal Plan, complete with recipes and step-by-step instructions!
Chocolate Banana Bread
This healthy Chocolate Banana Bread is made with whole grains and natural sweetener. A freezer-friendly, one-bowl recipe, can be double or triple batched!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 42-47 mins
- Total Time: 52-57 mins
- Yield: 1 loaf 1x
- Category: Breads
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Line a 9”x5” loaf pan with parchment paper, or spray with cooking spray and lightly dust with flour.
- In a blender, combine the bananas, coconut oil, eggs, vanilla and coconut sugar. Blend for 30-60 seconds, or until everything is smooth. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir together using a spatula until JUST combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. If desired, sprinkle chocolate chips down the center of the loaf and press them into the batter slightly. (Note: If you don’t press them in slightly, they’ll fall down to the sides of the loaf as the loaf bakes, and possibly burn.)
- Bake for 42-47 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let the loaf cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove to a cooling rack and let the loaf cool completely for one hour.
- Slice and serve.
If you want to freeze the loaf for later, I recommend slicing the loaf before wrapping for the freezer.
Keywords: chocolate banana bread