I scream, you scream, we all scream for…Apple Crumble Ice Cream!
Summer’s on the way out – probably for many of you, a cool fall breeze is already sweeping through. Sounds dreamy.
Here in Houston, we just hope that it feels like fall by the time Thanksgiving rolls around!
And with apples in season, I couldn’t help but share this new, fall-inspired Apple Crumble Ice Cream recipe with you!
Apple Crumble Ice Cream
My family – especially my husband – loves apple desserts!
Apple pie, apple strudel, Apple Pie Cookie Bites… #appleeverything
And now, we’ve added this decadent Apple Crumble Ice Cream to the list – it’s the perfect blend of spiced baked apples, buttery crumble topping, and homemade vanilla ice cream.
At this point I should probably note that this recipe has its fair share of sugar and white flour.
I generally limit refined ingredients in my cooking and baking but, every now and then, we enjoy a classic dessert like the World’s Best Banana Bread or our favorite Snickerdoodles. And recipes like these just aren’t the same when you substitute whole wheat flour and honey… trust me, I’ve tried.
But, this recipe is completely from-scratch, with no trans fats, corn syrup, or artificial flavors or colors, which isn’t always true of store-bought ice creams!
Apple Crumble Ice Cream
Try this recipe for Homemade Apple Crumble Ice Cream! A perfect blend of spiced baked apples, buttery crumble topping, and homemade vanilla ice cream
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Yield: 1 quart 1x
- Category: Dssert
- Method: Freeze
- Cuisine: American
BAKED APPLE INGREDIENTS:
- 2 large or 3 medium apples, peeled and chopped (any baking variety will do)
- 1 tsp apple pie spice
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp flour (I use Einkorn all-purpose flour)
- 2 pinches sea salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp butter (I use salted)
- 3/4 cup flour (I use Einkorn all-purpose flour)
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 6 Tbsp sugar
- 6 Tbsp brown sugar
- 6 Tbsp butter (I use salted), chopped small
ICE CREAM INGREDIENTS:
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
BAKED APPLE INSTRUCTIONS:
- Combine all ingredients and cook in large saucepan on the stove over medium heat, stirring frequently, until apples are softened and sauce thickens slightly (about 10 minutes). Remove from heat to cool, then refrigerate for a few hours or overnight.
- When you begin churning the ice cream, remove apple mixture from the fridge so it will soften slightly, making it easier to stir into the ice cream mixture.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine all ingredients except butter in a mixing bowl. Use a pastry cutter, to cut in the butter mixture resembles mostly moist clumps with some finer crumbs.
- Spread onto a jellyroll pan and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden.
- Remove from the oven and use a metal spatula to turn the entire mixture for even cooling. Cool completely on pan. If not using immediately, cover and store. (NOTE: Makes ~1 ½ cups crumbles, some large, some fine. Use about 1 cup for stirring into ice cream, and the remaining ½ cup for sprinkling on top when served)
ICE CREAM INSTRUCTIONS:
- Combine all except vanilla in a saucepan, stir well, then heat over medium, stirring occasionally, until steam just begins to rise from the surface. (Do not boil!)
- Remove from heat, add vanilla, and allow to cool. Refrigerate for a few hours or overnight.
- Once chilled, pour the mixture into a frozen ice cream maker bowl and follow manufacturer instructions for churning.
- During the last few minutes of churning, add the apple mixture and 1 cup of the crumble mixture to the machine. Transfer to a freezer-safe container with lid and freeze for a few hours or until firm.
- To serve, scoop into bowls and sprinkle the reserved crumble mixture on top.
Keywords: Apple crumble ice cream
Additional Recipe Notes
To summarize the schedule for preparing the ice cream:
Day 1: Cook the apples and prepare the ice cream mixture, then refrigerate both overnight. Place the bowl for the ice cream maker into the freezer overnight.
Day 2: Bake crumble topping and allow to cool. Make the ice cream from chilled ingredients using ice cream maker. Freeze for a few hours or overnight before serving.
You will have a little more crumble topping than you need… but we didn’t have any trouble finding fun uses for it, like as a topping on a chocolate peanut butter smoothie bowl, in lieu of granola in easy breakfast parfaits, extra crunch on apple cinnamon baked oatmeal or as a topping on our favorite 10-minute baked apples.
Also, I like making the apples and crumble mixture separately so I can reserve some crumbles for sprinkling on top before serving. But, if you have your own favorite apple crumble recipe, you could replace the ingredients and instructions for the baked apples and crumble portions of my recipe with your own crumble, chill it, then spoon 2-3 cups of it into the ice cream maker during the last few minutes of churning.
- Apples: $0.90
- Salt and spices: $0.03
- Sugars: $0.70
- Flour: $0.85
- Butter: $0.72
- Oats: $0.08
- Cream: $2.89
- Milk: $0.24
- Vanilla: $0.03
The total cost for one quart of Apple Crumble Ice Cream is $6.44. That’s around $0.81 per 1/2 cup serving, which is right at or just below the cost of higher quality premium ice creams I’ve seen in the grocery store.
With this one, though, you’ve got a from-scratch product with the highest quality ingredients and way more flavor and texture than the store bought ice creams I’ve tasted!