This healthy and delicious slow cooker beef stroganoff is SUPER easy to make. Dump all of your ingredients into the slow cooker and within a few hours, you have a hearty meal. PERFECT for those busy weeknights and pairs wonderfully with lemon butter asparagus or pan roasted broccoli.
To me, Beef Stroganoff is one of those comfort foods that you love as a child but forget how awesome it is until you go back home and visit family and your mom or grandma makes it again.
The Best Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
It’s also one of those recipes that is perfect for Sunday family dinners, busy weeknights, or when the weather is cold and you want something that warms the soul while filling bellies.
Easy Crockpot Beef Stroganoff Ingredients
The ingredients for beef stroganoff are pretty straightforward:
- Dried dill
- Salt & pepper
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
Psst! If you’re going to add salt, I highly recommend Ava Jane’s Kitchen. You may think all salt is created equal, but unfortunately, 90% of the salt produced around the world contains microplastics (gross, right?). Ava Jane’s Kitchen is an exception. Their salt is 100% microplastic-free, and it’s SO GOOD! (Get your bag of salt on this page.)
The specifics and measurements are in the slow cooker beef stroganoff recipe card below, but there are a few things I want to note.
You can make this recipe:
- without cream of mushroom soup.
- dairy-free with one small swap.
- gluten-free with one substitution.
- You have MANY options for the meat – you don’t HAVE to use steak!
What is the Best Cuts of Beef for Beef Stroganoff?
There are a few different ways to make Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff, but the biggest difference will be the type of meat you choose.
- Sliced steaks (usually sirloin, but can be flank steak)
- Sliced roasts (bottom round or shoulder roast)
- Ground beef
I’ve tested this recipe using a sliced roast and flank steak, and both versions came out delicious. I suggest using the cut of meat you have on hand, or what’s on sale at the store.
If you want to use ground beef, I included a few ideas for you in the recipe notes.
Butcher Box delivers grass-fed beef, pasture-raised and organic chicken, and heritage pork directly to your front door each month. You can read my honest review on Butcher Box here, and my post on how to make Butcher Box worth the cost!
FREE GROUND BEEF FOR LIFE
The search for high-quality meat ends here. Amazing taste. Humanely raised. Delivered to your door. Get 2 lbs of free 100% grass-fed, grass-finished ground beef in every order for the life of your membership!
Order through THIS LINK to take advantage of this offer.
What is Crockpot Beef Stroganoff Sauce Made Of?
If your grandma had a “secret crock pot beef stroganoff recipe”, it’s probably because of her sauce.
The history of beef stroganoff is like a family tree with several branches dictating how the recipe is made:
- Early recipes call for beef cubes or bullion and sour cream to make the sauce. Oftentimes there are no mushrooms and no onions.
- As the recipe evolved, onion powder and mushrooms were added, along with the bullion and sour cream (a la Pioneer Woman and Betty Crocker).
- When moms went back to the workplace (which is where my moms’ version was created), their sauce was made with cream of mushroom soup. (If you like that flavor, give my homemade cream of mushroom soup a try!)
- Fancier versions may include white wine or brandy or even cream cheese in the sauce (a la Jamie Oliver).
My recipe tastes just as good as the fancy version, is SUPER simple, and doesn’t rely on processed foods!
How to Make Healthy Beef Stroganoff Recipe in the Crockpot
Step 1. Slice the mushrooms and beef.
Cut the mushrooms into thick slices. This allows the mushrooms to hold their shape throughout the long cook time.
Then using the same cutting board and without washing, cut the stew meat, steak, or roast into thin 1” strips. If you’re using ground beef, follow the notes in the recipe for this step.
Step 2. Add the sirloin and spices to the slow cooker.
If your slow cooker is older, you may want to spray the inside with nonstick cooking spray (or re-use wrappers from butter), or use slow cooker liners. Add the sliced meat, sprinkle the spices over the meat. Stir the mixture over the meat, to coat the meat with the spices.
Step 3. Add the mushrooms, beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, and mustard to the crock pot bowl.
Step 4. Cook the Beef Stroganoff.
Cook the recipe on high for 2-3 hours or low for 5-7 hours. I prefer to cook beef on low so it’s fall-apart tender. I recommend using a slow cooker that has an automatic turn-off feature, so your dinner doesn’t continue to cook beyond the cook time.
Step 5. Prepare the noodles and finish the sauce.
Just before you’re ready to serve, cook the noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile, finish the sauce with a cornstarch slurry and yogurt.
You can put this in the fridge for 3 to 4 days. Beef Stroganoff is ideal to freeze, you can pop it in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Tips for Making Crock Pot Beef Stroganoff
- If you want firmer mushrooms, wait to add them until halfway through the cook time.
- I usually use spicy brown mustard, but you can use Dijon mustard or even yellow mustard if that’s what you have.
- To make this dairy-free, use dairy-free yogurt or sour cream.
- To make this gluten-free, use gluten-free noodles. Penne and rotini are good options.
Common Questions About Beef Stroganoff
Yes! There’s nothing wrong or unsafe about putting raw beef in a slow cooker.
Most cuts of meat will become tender BECAUSE they’re cooked in the slow cooker, so you don’t have to worry about choosing a raw, tender cut for the recipe. In fact, I’ve made this recipe with one of the toughest and cheapest steaks – flank steak – and it was perfect!
This recipe is thickened using cornstarch and water. You can substitute arrowroot if you have corn allergies.
What to Serve with Beef Stroganoff Recipe in the Slow Cooker
Since slow cooker meals are for busy days, I recommend choosing super easy side dishes as well – something that can be made while the egg noodles are cooking:
- lemon butter asparagus
- Instant Pot mashed potatoes
- frozen peas
- skillet broccoli
- sautéed green beans
- green salad
More Slow Cooker Recipes
- Slow Cooker Mexican Potato Soup
- Chicken Fajitas
- Slow Cooker Thai Pineapple Vegetable Curry
- 16 Slow Cooker Soups and Chilis for Winter
Ground Beef Meal PlanSign up to get instant access to my Ground Beef Meal Plan, complete with recipes and shopping list!
Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
This healthy and delicious slow cooker beef stroganoff is SUPER easy to make. Dump all of your ingredients into the slow cooker and within a few hours, you have the perfect meal. PERFECT for those busy weeknights and pairs wonderfully with lemon butter asparagus or pan roasted broccoli.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 hours
- Total Time: 5 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: 8 cups 1x
- Category: Main Meals
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Russian
- 16 oz mushrooms, sliced thick
- 1–2 lbs stew meat, flank steak, OR beef roast cut into thin 1” strips (1)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried dill
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 cup beef broth
- 3 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp Dijon or spicy brown mustard
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt (2)
- 8 oz egg noodles (3)
1. Cut the mushrooms into thick slices. This allows the mushrooms to hold their shape throughout the long cook time.
2. Then using the same cutting board and without washing, cut the stew meat, steak, or roast into thin 1” strips. If you’re using ground beef, follow the notes below for this step.
3. If your slow cooker is older, you may want to spray the inside with nonstick cooking spray (or re-use wrappers from butter), or use slow cooker liners. Add the sliced meat, sprinkle the spices over the meat, and stir to coat the meat with the spices.
4. Add the mushrooms, broth, Worcestershire, and mustard.
5. Cook on high for 2-3 hours or low for 5-7 hours. I prefer to cook beef on low so it’s fall-apart tender. I recommend using a slow cooker that has an automatic turn-off feature, so your dinner doesn’t continue to cook beyond the cook time.
6. Just before you’re ready to serve, cook the noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile, finish the sauce with a cornstarch slurry and yogurt.
(1) To make Beef Stroganoff with ground beef instead of chunks of beef: In a large skillet over medium heat, heat 1 Tbsp coconut oil and add the ground beef. Sprinkle the seasonings over the ground beef and break up the meat using a potato masher or wooden spoon as it cooks. When the beef is cooked through, drain off excess grease and discard. Add the cooked ground beef to the slow cooker and continue with Step 2.
(2) Be sure to use whole milk yogurt otherwise it will curdle in the sauce.
(3) Substitute penne, rotini, or similar-sized noodles. Gluten-free noodles also work.
Adapted from WellPlated.com
- Calories: 330
Keywords: slow cooker beef stroganoff