This healthy and delicious slow cooker beef stroganoff is SUPER easy to make. Dump all of your ingredients into the slow cooker and within a few hours, you have the perfect meal. PERFECT for those busy weeknights and pairs wonderfully with lemon butter asparagus or pan roasted broccoli.
1. Cut the mushrooms into thick slices. This allows the mushrooms to hold their shape throughout the long cook time.
2. Then using the same cutting board and without washing, cut the stew meat, steak, or roast into thin 1” strips. If you’re using ground beef, follow the notes below for this step.
3. If your slow cooker is older, you may want to spray the inside with nonstick cooking spray (or re-use wrappers from butter), or use slow cooker liners. Add the sliced meat, sprinkle the spices over the meat, and stir to coat the meat with the spices.
4. Add the mushrooms, broth, Worcestershire, and mustard.
5. Cook on high for 2-3 hours or low for 5-7 hours. I prefer to cook beef on low so it’s fall-apart tender. I recommend using a slow cooker that has an automatic turn-off feature, so your dinner doesn’t continue to cook beyond the cook time.
6. Just before you’re ready to serve, cook the noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile, finish the sauce with a cornstarch slurry and yogurt.
(1) To make Beef Stroganoff with ground beef instead of chunks of beef: In a large skillet over medium heat, heat 1 Tbsp coconut oil and add the ground beef. Sprinkle the seasonings over the ground beef and break up the meat using a potato masher or wooden spoon as it cooks. When the beef is cooked through, drain off excess grease and discard. Add the cooked ground beef to the slow cooker and continue with Step 2.
(2) Be sure to use whole milk yogurt otherwise it will curdle in the sauce.
(3) Substitute penne, rotini, or similar-sized noodles. Gluten-free noodles also work.
Adapted from WellPlated.com
Keywords: slow cooker beef stroganoff