An easy vegan recipe for marinated lentils with sun-dried tomatoes – a perfect side dish! Can use brown or green lentils made in the Instant pot or stovetop!
My family and I are mostly plant-based, which means we eat mostly plants and view meat as a side dish. Not only does this save us money, but it also means we get PLENTY of fruits and vegetables in our diets!
However, it can sometimes be tricky to get enough protein.
We love my spicy citrus black bean recipe, as well as my black bean and corn salsa, but what if we tire of black beans?
These marinated lentils with sun-dried tomatoes are the perfect answer!
My Favorite Marinated Lentil Recipe
If I want a lentil recipe that’s worthy enough to stand alone next to delicious oven-roasted chicken or greek quinoa salad, then this is the recipe I pick every time. My favorite lentil recipe is:
- Quick & Easy. Ready in under 15 minutes!
- Makes GREAT leftovers!
- Uses basic ingredients I always have in my pantry.
- Naturally gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan.
- The perfect addition to a salad, or as the main protein for a vegetarian meal.
My favorite lentil recipe is so good, we don’t even miss meat on meatless nights!
Ingredients for the Best Marinated Lentils
The ingredient list might seem long, but it comes together quickly and you probably already have everything in the kitchen!
- Lentils (I like a combination of green and black)
- Red wine vinegar
- Lemon juice
- Dijon mustard (or brown mustard, or spicy mustard)
- Maple syrup
- Sale & Pepper
- Dried parsley
- Sun-dried tomatoes (in oil)
I really like the texture combination of green lentils and black lentils, but you can easily use all green or even brown lentils if you want.
Do not use red lentils though, since they basically disintegrate when they’re cooked. (They’re PERFECT in my red lentil vegetable soup recipe!)
How to Make the Best Lentil Salad
It’s funny to think of this as a salad, even though it doesn’t have lettuce…
But then again, my vegetable Greek salad and black bean and corn salad don’t have any lettuce either!
The best lentil salad comes together in just 3 simple steps:
- Prepare your lentils as directed.
- Gather your other ingredients.
- Mix everything together in a bowl and serve!
It feels kind of silly giving “instructions” on a recipe that you simply mix up in a bowl and serve, but that’s really all you have to do!
How to Cook Lentils in an Instant Pot
You can cook your lentils on the stove, but if you need them to cook while you take care of something else, you can follow my recipe for Instant Pot lentils.
Tips for Making Marinated Lentils
- Cook the lentils al dente so they retain their firm texture.
- Leftovers are good in the fridge for several days!
- Make sure you use sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil. The residual oil is needed to add moisture to the lentil salad!
What to Serve with Marinated Lentils Recipe
I REALLY like to serve this with my Instant Pot yellow rice, but it also pairs well with anything Mediterranean or Greek, like my 5-minute Greek couscous or Greek pasta salad.
Other Easy Healthy Vegan Recipes
- Skillet Pizza Veggie Pasta
- Vegetable Greek Salad
- Sweet Potato and Black Bean Enchiladas
- Squash Pasta Bake
- Roasted Vegetable Kale Salad
Loving LeftoversLove meal planning but hate leftovers? Download my free eBook Loving Leftovers and learn how to save money by turning leftovers into recipes your family will love!
Marinated Lentils with Sun-dried Tomatoes
An easy vegan recipe for marinated lentil salad with sun-dried tomatoes – a perfect side dish! Can use brown or green lentils made in the Instant pot or stove!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Sides
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 1 cup uncooked green or brown lentils
- ½ cup uncooked black lentils
- 3 ½ Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3 Tbsp dried parsley
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ½ cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained slightly (I use a slotted spoon)
- Cook the lentils according to the directions on the package. Alternatively, you can follow my Instant Pot lentils recipe for green or brown lentils.
- Meanwhile, prepare the marinade. Chop the sun-dried tomatoes if they’re larger than ½”. Combine the tomatoes with the remaining marinade ingredients in a medium bowl and stir well.
- When the lentils are done, drain using a metal sieve and add the lentils to the marinade. Stir well and serve immediately, or as desired.
Leave a Comment