Homemade Cream of Celery Soup is so much healthier than canned condensed soup. The perfect quick & easy recipe for all of your casseroles! Or enjoy it alone as a light lunch with a fresh slice of homemade bread.
Growing up my family attended many potluck dinners typically held at our church after Sunday services. I loved to socialize with all my friends and of course sample each of the many desserts – after all, I was a kid and was NOT thinking about my waistline or healthy real food choices!
I think I would still enjoy a church potluck… it would just have to be minus the food! And not because I am worried about my waistline, but thinking back to those potlucks, nearly every dish was a casserole.
What is so wrong with a casserole?
NOTHING. I love creamy dishes and layered bakes!
But let’s be honest. The casseroles most people are serving start with canned cream of soups – Yikes!!
On our journey to eating a diet of real food, canned cream of soup had to go away PERMANENTLY! And so many people think when you toss these cans that are full of preservatives and chemicals, you have to say good-bye to so many casseroles.
This is simply NOT the case, because you can make homemade cream soups! This recipe for cream of celery soup is a perfect replacement for canned condensed cream of celery soup (btw, I also have a homemade cream of chicken soup and a homemade cream of mushroom soup!).
You can not only have any casserole you desire, but it will taste a million times better.
And not only that, it will only take a few extra minutes, I promise!
Cream of Celery Soup
Not only is this great recipe a perfect base for all of your casserole favorites, it’s also:
- Quick. This recipe comes together in minutes.
- Easy. Using simple real food ingredients, it doesn’t get any easier.
- Versatile. Use it as a substitute for most other cream soups.
- Healthy. It’s SO much healthier than the canned version.
- Vegan-friendly. Sub out the butter and milk for dairy-free options, like homemade almond milk, and use vegetable stock for a vegan option with the dairy substitutes.
What are the ingredients for homemade cream of celery soup?
- celery, diced into size of rice grains (you can use a grating disc in your food processor for this)
- flour (all purpose or gluten free)
- celery salt
- stock (vegetable or chicken)
How to make cream of celery soup
- Melt butter in a heavy bottomed stock pan over medium heat. Add celery, salt, celery salt, and pepper and saute until celery is beginning to soften–about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add flour to pan and stir to coat. Allow to cook for 1 additional minute.
- Add milk and broth, whisking to incorporate flour into liquid. Bring to a boil and whisk well until mixture is quite thick–anywhere from 2 to 5 minutes. Remove soup from heat and enjoy as is, or use in your favorite recipe!
Can I make Cream of Celery Soup gluten free?
Can I make cream of celery soup dairy free or vegan?
What is a good substitute for cream of celery soup?
If you are unable to use cream of celery soup, you can always substitute my homemade cream of chicken soup, or my homemade cream of mushroom soup. They will all taste delicious in your favorite recipes, it just depends on which flavor profile you are looking for as a base in your recipe.
Is there a difference between condensed soup and cream of celery soup?
The word ‘condensed’ means it is a soup that is made with a minimal amount of liquid, and generally has a thick texture.
This recipe is rich and creamy, but isn’t really a ‘condensed’ soup like the canned version.
What can I do with homemade cream of celery soup?
You can use it as a base in all of your favorite recipes. Plus, it would be delicious served alone for lunch with a slice of homemade bread for dipping! Use it for the following suggestions and more!
- Soups & Stews
- Gravies and Cream Sauces
- Casseroles like my Easy Green Bean Casserole, or a tuna casserole.
- Pasta Bakes like my Vegetable Pasta Primavera, or my Creamy Butternut Squash Pasta Bake.
- Pot Pies or Shepherd’s Pies would be great options as well!
More Homemade Soup Recipes
- Cream of Chicken Soup
- Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Slow Cooker Mexican Potato Soup
- Garlic White Bean Soup with Kale
- Homemade Tortilla Soup Recipe
Two Week SampleDo you need step-by-step help with meal planning? Frugal Real Food Meal Plans is an all-in-one meal plan with recipes, shopping lists, shopping guides, money saving tips and more! Sign up below for a free sample!
Homemade Cream of Celery Soup
Homemade Cream of Celery Soup is so much healthier than canned condensed soup. The perfect quick & easy recipe for all of your casseroles, or enjoy alone as a light lunch with slice of homemade bread.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 1 “can” 1x
- Category: Soup & Salad
- Method: Stovetop / whisk
- Cuisine: American
- Melt 1/4 cup butter in a heavy bottomed stock pan over medium heat. Add 1/4 cup chopped celery + 1/4 tsp celery salt + 1 tsp sea salt + 1 tsp pepper and saute until celery is beginning to soften, stirring occasionally — about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add 1/4 cup flour to pan and stir to coat. Allow to cook for 1 additional minute.
- Add 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 cup broth, whisking to incorporate flour and liquid. Bring to a boil and whisk well until mixture is quite thick–anywhere from 2 to 5 minutes. Remove soup from heat and enjoy as is, or use in your favorite recipe!
Keywords: Cream of Celery Soup