Comments

1. Maria H says

Yes, I have. Recently, I bought frozen fruit, sugar-free, at the Dollar Tree. I believe it was around 12oz so $1.33/lb. It beats my local Aldi’s and my 2hr away Costco’s for a few. Non-Organic which I realize is a deal breaker for some. I love having this option since the store is small and so is the parking lot; sometimes I’m just too plum-tuckered out to make one more stop or have forgotten something at another store.

• Lauren says

Also check country of origin, does food come from China? My dollar store has lots of canned goods imported from china, also toothpaste and for me that is a no thank you.

• brittney says

great point. I’ve found a few things at my local dollar tree that came from China. Things you may not even think about. Definite deal breaker for me as well.

Lauren & Brittney – you both make good points. I’m going to do a follow-up to this issue and post again soon. Many of the items are exactly the same brands as those in bigger stores, but some are not. You need to consider the flip side too – many of the items we purchase from regular stores could be from overseas as well… just because it’s being sold at Savemart or Albertsons or Kroger doesn’t make it safe. :(

2. Beth says

We just got a dollar tree where I live, and I was surprised by the quality of the product. I bought some house cleaning supplies and basic toiletries (Q-TIPS!) for really inexpensive. I plan on going back through more carefully to see what I can use off my monthly grocery list.

Hi Tiffany, I would like to add this post to my round-up for eating real food on a shoestring budget. It publishes on 3/31. I will only be using your link without image but I did pin this resource because it will positively impact many families who depend on dollar stores for their grocery budget. Thanks! ~ Jessica