This post contains affiliate links.
Me: Morning guys! Would you like cookies for breakfast?
Kids: (in unison) YEAH! (give hugs to Mommy)
Oh yes, I did offer healthy cookies to my kids for breakfast. For those who know me, you shouldn’t be the least surprised.
I found this totally awesome recipe from Jessica at Good Cheap Eats (three of my most favorite words) and not only did the recipe title sell me, but they’re actually good for you!
And yes, they taste good too! Almost too good for that matter!
Make a batch and bribe treat your kids too!
Healthy Cookies… for breakfast!
- ½ cup honey
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup coconut oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup ground flax seed
- 1½ cup flour (
- whole wheat has more nutrition
- , but any variety will work)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 cups oats (any variety but instant -
- this post
- helps explain the different types)
- ¼ EACH dried cranberries, dark chocolate chips, sunflower seeds, chopped nuts**
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line baking sheets with parchment or wax paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine honey, sugar and oil - blend well.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla. Add remaining ingredients and mix until just, but well, combined.
- Drop approximately 1 tablespoon of batter onto baking sheets and bake for 10 minutes, or until set and slightly browned on the edges.
- Cool healthy cookies on a rack.
Additional Recipe Tips
- I actually used slightly more than 1/4 cup of each item listed. You need 1 1/4 cup total of mix-ins, and I didn’t have anything else in my pantry that sounded good. Feel free to substitute according to your needs and pantry, but I’d still aim for 1 1/4 cups total.
- Sweeter dried fruit like cranberries may reduce the need for sugar. Remember to use some granulated variety to help cream with the butter.
What do you think – should kids eat healthy cookies for breakfast? 😉
Here are a few other oatmeal recipes you may be interested in too:
- Breakfast Porridge (Nourishing Traditions Recipe)
- Homemade Granola Bars
- Homemade Instant Oatmeal (6 weeks of breakfast in one hour!)
- Leftover Oatmeal Chocolate Cake
- Vanishing Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Maple Oatmeal Bread
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. By making a purchase through those links, you support the ministry of Crumbs without any additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Crumbs in this way! Read my full disclosure statement here