Homemade honey roasted almonds are THE BEST topping for any salad. Three simple ingredients and ready in an hour, you save over 70% by making them yourself! I love to put them on my favorite dinner salad!
It’s that time of year when most of us are getting back on track with planning, purchasing, and preparing healthy foods (three cheers for us!).
At our house, that means aiming for more smoothies, more salads, and more vegetables at the dinner table.
But I have a confession to make.
Even after all the effort I put into the planning and preparation phase of healthy eating, it’s sometimes hard to stir up the “want to”.
Why Make Homemade Honey Roasted Nuts?
These honey roasted almonds are delicious on top of just about any green salad. I know this because I’ve eaten twice as many salads in the past week than I normally would, simply because I had a fresh batch of these salty-sweet gems to sprinkle on top!
They’re also great added to homemade yogurt or just eaten by the handful as a snack (my husband’s favorite).
Honey roasted almonds also make great gifts! It’s perfect for that last minute gift you forgot you needed.
Honey Roasted Almond Ingredients
If you’ve never roasted your own nuts, I assure you – it could not get any easier than this recipe! You only need three ingredients.
- Honey. Raw honey is your best option nutritionally, but for cooking, you can use filtered honey.
- Garlic salt. Or regular sea salt works too.
- Almonds. I prefer to buy raw almonds. But if you have plain roasted almonds (like these) on hand, you can use those! Or use whatever nuts are in your pantry!
How to Make Honey Roasted Almonds
Honey roasted almonds take just a few minutes to prep and only a half hour to cook.
Of course, just about any nuts could be used, but almonds are among the cheapest and have one of the highest levels of healthy monounsaturated fat.
- In a small bowl add almonds and honey mix well.
- Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet with parchment paper. Sprinkle with garlic salt.
- Bake in an oven at 350 degrees for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely.
Cost Breakdown for Homemade Honey Roasted Almonds
- almonds: $2.58 for whole or $3.68 for slivered
- honey: $0.33
- garlic or regular sea salt: $0.01
Total cost per batch (approximately 10 oz) for homemade honey roasted almonds is between $2.92 (whole almonds) and $4.02 (slivered almonds). Per ounce, you’re looking at just 30¢.
Compare this to 97¢ per ounce for Blue Diamond honey roasted almonds – you save nearly 70% by making them yourself!
To make the deal even sweeter, you can stretch them out by sprinkling on salads (my favorite use). Only 2 Tbsp or so is needed, which means a single batch of honey roasted almonds will last for 16 salads!
What if I don’t have garlic salt?
If you’re not sure whether to use garlic or regular sea salt, I assure you the garlic flavor is very light. It’s really just enough to provide a savory contrast to the sweet honey. We tried both versions – it was close, but the garlic salt mixture was the winner at our house.
More Delicious Salads and Toppings
- Homemade Candied Pecans
- Parmesan Cheese Crisps
- Almond Sesame Ginger Dressing
- Thai Peanut Dressing
- Panzanella (bread salad)
- My Favorite Dinner Salad
What are your tips and tricks for staying on track with healthy eating?