This slow cooker Thai pineapple vegetarian curry is loaded with vegetables and bursting with flavor. When you need something easy without the meat, this fits the bill! Plus it’s freezer-friendly!
Do you ever feel like you’re making the same thing for dinner, over and over again? I know I do!
Sometimes I want to make something that tastes DIFFERENT from everything else I’ve made lately. Something that’s bold with pizzazz.
When a friend shared her recipe for Thai pineapple vegetarian curry, I fell in love. THIS is exactly what I’ve been searching for!
Here’s why you should make this veggie curry recipe:
- Spicy yet sweet.
- Complex yet easy.
- Weeknight-friendly yet company-ready.
- Bold yet familiar.
- Made with ordinary ingredients.
- Made in the slow cooker.
Here’s What You Need
- Sweet Potatoes
- Red Bell Peppers
- Garbanzo Beans (A.K.A Chickpeas)
- Coconut Milk
- Curry Powder
- Garlic (granulated)
Notes on The Ingredients
- Skip the canned pineapple – it’s usually full of added sugar. Instead, cut your own using my tutorial on how to cut a pineapple. It only takes about 5 minutes, and the flavor is absolutely worth every minute!
- Red Bell Peppers can be swapped for any other color.
- I usually cook my own beans from scratch using either my slow cooker beans method, or my Instant Pot beans method. Both are really easy and hands-off, but you can also use canned beans. (Be sure to rinse three times to help de-gas canned beans!)
Step By Step Instructions
Step 1. Whisk together the coconut milk, curry powder, salt, crushed red pepper and garlic in a slow cooker (I have and recommend this 6 quart slow cooker).
Step 2. Add the remaining ingredients and cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours, or on low for 6-8 hours. If you want your sweet potatoes to be more firm, aim for a shorter cooking time.
Turn this slow cooked vegetarian curry into a freezer meal by adding all the ingredients to the freezer bag, removing as much air as possible, labeling and freezing. To cook, thaw the freezer meal in the refrigerator overnight and then cook as directed!
I used a 6-Quart slow cooker. If you use a slow cooker that’s 5 quarts or smaller, you may want to halve the recipe.
You can absolutely use your IP and use the slow cooker mode! Be sure to use the correct lid in slow cooker mode.
Yes! You can even use purple potatoes or yams or any other potato you want!
I totally get that some people are “meat eaters.” Chicken goes great with this recipe, and I recommend two options:
- At the Beginning: Add one pound chicken, cut into 1” pieces.
- At the End: Add diced or shredded chicken, preferably cooked in the slow cooker or the Instant Pot.
More Yummy Vegetarian Recipes
- Easy Instant Pot Vegetarian Chili
- Creamed Swiss Chard
- Vegetable Fried Rice
- Our Favorite Beans and Rice Recipe
30 Minute Dinners Sample Meal PlanSign up to get instant access to my 30 Minute Dinners Sample Meal Plan, complete with recipes and step-by-step instructions!
Watch How to Make Thai Pineapple Vegetarian Curry
Slow Cooker Thai Pineapple Vegetarian Curry
An easy, delicious, vegetarian recipe with fresh pineapple. This slow cooker Thai pineapple vegetarian curry is spicy, yet sweet, frugal, and freezer-friendly.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 3-6 Hours
- Total Time: 14 minute
- Yield: Serves 4 1x
- Category: Main Meals
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Thai
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 1 can coconut milk
- 3 Tbsp curry powder (I used red curry powder)
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 ½ tsp granulated garlic
- 1 fresh pineapple, cut into 1” pieces (how to cut a pineapple)
- 1 pound of sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1” pieces
- 2 green bell peppers, cut into 1” pieces
- 2 onions, cut into 1” pieces
- 2 cans of garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed three times (or 3–4 cups of homemade beans)
- Cooked white or brown rice, for serving (optional)
- Cashews, for topping (optional)
- Cilantro or green onions, chopped, for topping (optional)
- Whisk together the coconut milk, curry powder, salt, crushed red pepper and garlic in a slow cooker (like this one).
- Add the remaining ingredients and cook on high for 3-4 hours, or on low for 6-8 hours. If you want your sweet potato to be more firm, aim for a shorter cooking time.
**Turn this into a freezer meal by adding all the ingredients to the freezer bag, removing as much as possible, labeling and freezing. To cook, thaw the freezer meal in the refrigerator overnight and then cook as directed!
- Calories: 1030
Keywords: slow cook vegetarian curry
This recipe was delicious. I’ve made it a couple times now and it’s always really good. My pineapple want very sweet so I added ¼ cup molasses this last time and it was next level if you live inland and can’t find really good pineapple.