When I was a kid, I used to eat Thanksgiving dinner just so I could have pie.
But I REALLY liked pumpkin pie.
In fact, one year, I asked my mom if she could make two, just so that there was enough leftover for me to have once everyone left the house.
My son inherited the same love for pumpkin, but since switching to real food, I’ve ditched the sweetened condensed milk and I’m making this healthier homemade pumpkin pie instead!
Healthy Homemade Pumpkin Pie
This healthy homemade pumpkin pie is everything you love of a traditional pumpkin pie:
- Smooth and creamy
- Full of pumpkin flavor
- Quick and easy to make
However, this healthy version is even BETTER because it’s:
- Can be gluten-free
- Can be made with canned pumpkin OR homemade pumpkin puree
- Naturally sweetened
I made this for my daughter’s “feast” day at school (along with Instant Pot mashed potatoes) and by the time she went to get a piece of the pie, there was just ONE piece left. She snagged it and ate it in the car while moaning over every bite.
Oh yeah, and no other dessert was even touched!
Healthy Pumpkin Pie Recipe Ingredients
The ingredient list for a healthy pumpkin pie looks very similar to a traditional pumpkin pie, with a few minor changes:
- Homemade Pie Crust. This is my fail-proof recipe, which can be adapted to be gluten-free and/or dairy-free if necessary.
- Pumpkin Pie Puree. Homemade pumpkin pie puree or canned pumpkin will work, but you do NOT want pumpkin pie filling.
- Full-fat Coconut Milk + Brown Sugar. Use this instead of sweetened condensed milk or evaporated milk.
- Pumpkin Pie Spice. SO easy to make, and WAY cheaper. Do yourself a favor and don’t buy it from the store! Here’s the recipe.
- Cinnamon + Vanilla + Salt. All three work together to make the pie taste sweeter without the extra sugar, and the salt.
What part of pumpkin do you use for pie?
If you want to make your own homemade pumpkin puree, it’s important that you buy the right pumpkin.
You DON’T want the big pumpkins you buy to carve. What you DO want, is the small pumpkins commonly called baking pumpkins or sugar pumpkins.
Use all the flesh, minus the seeds, similar to how you do with acorn squash or butternut squash. If you want to go this route, here’s a full tutorial to make homemade pumpkin puree.
What can I use instead of evaporated milk in pumpkin pie?
I use full fat coconut milk in this recipe instead of evaporated milk or sweetened condensed milk. This makes the recipe dairy-free and still tastes amazing.
How to Make Easy Pumpkin Pie from Scratch
If making pumpkin pie from scratch sounds scary, don’t worry! It’s one of the easiest pies you’ll ever make.
- Prepare the crust and pre-bake.
- Mix-up the one-bowl filling.
- Pour the filling and bake the pie.
- Allow the pie to cool COMPLETELY. Slice, and enjoy.
Just to reiterate, let this pie cool COMPLETELY. It is super important to let the filling set and so you get pretty slices when you serve dessert.
Make this recipe ahead of time! Store it in the fridge and let it come to room temperature before serving.
Other Easy Dessert Recipes
- Healthy Pumpkin Cake
- Cheesecake Baked Apples
- Pumpkin Fudge
- Black Bean Brownies with Pumpkin Swirl
- Slow Cooker Blueberry Cobbler
- Dark Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
- Maple Pecan Blondies
Healthy Homemade Pumpkin Pie
Easy recipe for the best healthy homemade pumpkin pie made with homemade pie crust. The filling is made with fresh pumpkin puree and homemade pumpkin pie spice.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 50 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 mins
- Yield: 1 pie 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Unbaked homemade pie crust
- 1 ½ cups flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 6 Tbsp butter, cold and cubed
- 2–3 Tbsp milk
- 3 eggs
- 15 oz canned pumpkin (or homemade pumpkin puree)
- 1 cup coconut milk (canned, full fat)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup brown sugar (or coconut sugar)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp homemade pumpkin pie spice
- homemade whipped cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425F
Prepare homemade pie crust.
- Combine flour and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer. Using the paddle attachment, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Add milk, 1 tablespoon at a time JUST until the mixture comes together to form a ball.
- Breaking off a piece about the size of a golf ball, pat the crust into the bottom and sides of a pie pan.
- Prick the bottom and sides of the crust with a fork and bake for 2 min.
Prepare pumpkin pie filling.
- Combine all of the filling ingredients in a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer.
- When the pie crust is pre-baked, pour the filling into the crust and bake at 425F for 15 min
- reduce oven temp to 350 degrees and bake for 50-60 min, or until the crust is brown and the center of the pie is no longer jiggly.
- Remove from the oven to cool completely, at least 2 hours. The pie will firm up as it cools.
- Refrigerate, or serve as desired!
Adapted from Joy Food Sunshine.
Keywords: homemade pumpkin pie