Skip coffee with this easy recipe for a bulletproof matcha green tea latte. Uses ingredients full of health benefits and a healthy amount of caffeine! Add collagen powder for even more health benefits!
I used to think that I could never live without coffee. Especially before we gave up coffee creamer.
Kids, a spouse, a home, a business and a list of to-do’s a mile long were good enough reasons to keep the coffee flowing all day long!
But many years into my coffee love affair, I heard about a healthy green tea called matcha that still had caffeine, but eliminated the crash that usually happened mid-morning. PLUS I heard that it was actually healthy to drink!
Then, I heard about a better way to drink coffee (called Bulletproof coffee) and I started wondering… Could I skip the coffee and make a bulletproof matcha green tea latte instead?!
Well, there was only one way to find out, right?
Why Make Bulletproof Matcha Green Tea Latte
“Bulletproof matcha green tea latte” is a mouthful, and there’s a lot of health benefits going on here that I want you to know about, so let’s back up for just a minute.
What is matcha tea good for?
According to this article, “matcha is high in an antioxidant called EGCG (epigallocatechin gallate) which is believed to have cancer-fighting effects on the body. Studies have linked green tea to a variety of health benefits, like helping to prevent heart disease, type 2 diabetes and cancer, and even encouraging weight loss!”
Is matcha tea anti-inflammatory?
Yes! According to this article, green tea (which matcha is) says EGCG can help relieve the flare-ups related to various chronic diseases.
Does matcha tea burn belly fat?
Yes! This article claims “matcha works as a fat blocker. A compound in matcha called EGCG (epigallocatechin gallate) has been shown to boost metabolism and stop the growth of fat cells.”
It sounds pretty amazing, right? Just wait – the bulletproof matcha green tea latte gets even better.
What is bulletproof matcha?
“Bulletproof” started out as coffee with the idea of adding healthy fats to feed your brain. It’s grown over the years to become a worldwide brand, and the creator is passionate about “hacking” the body to get optimized performance – whether that’s being faster on the field or more “on” at the office or even just more joyful as you manage the mundane household chores.
The original recipe included branded coffee and oil – bulletproof coffee was made using brewed coffee, coconut oil, and grass-fed butter. Essentially, you’re taking the awesome benefits of coconut oil AND butter and empowering your body and brain first thing in the morning, to take on the day.
That’s where I started wondering… could this work if I used matcha green tea instead?
Ingredients to Make Matcha Green Tea Latte
Those in the “bulletproof” world tend to be purists, but I like food that does my body good AND tastes good, so here’s what I use to make my bulletproof matcha green tea latte:
- Hot Water
- Matcha Green Tea Powder (I like this brand)
- Perfect Supplements grass-fed collagen*
- Grass-fed Butter
- MCT oil (or coconut oil)**
- Stevia (I like this brand plain or this brand vanilla)
- Almond Milk (or any desired milk)
*I’ve tried other brands of collagen, but this brand is the only one where I could actually see the difference on the outside. Literally, my nails grew longer, my skin GLOWED and my hair was growing like crazy!! I stock up when it’s on sale – sign up for my newsletter and I’ll let you know when that is!
** MCT oil contains medium-chain triglycerides, which are derived from coconut oil. Not all coconut oil is considered MCT oil and MCT oil, in particular, can be expensive. I recommend giving this a try with the coconut oil you likely already have on hand before buying MCT oil.
Can you drink matcha green tea on keto?
Yes! If you skip the almond milk (to keep the carbs low), this is perfect for a keto diet!
Does it matter what brand of matcha green tea powder you buy?
Yes and no. Obviously you want to buy the best you can afford, BUT if you’re just starting out, buy the cheap stuff. See if you like the flavor and if so, dig in and find a brand you love and can afford. If you don’t like the way matcha green tea powder tastes, then you won’t be out much.
How to Make Bulletproof Matcha Green Tea Latte
Here’s how I make my matcha lattes:
- Boil the water and prepare the mug by adding all the other ingredients.
- Add water to the mug, let it sit for about one minute. Use a milk frother to blend the tea.
- Add almond milk, froth, and enjoy!
Matcha Green Tea Latte Variations
This latte sounds like there are a lot of moving pieces, but I assure you it’s quick and easy once you do it for the first time. Plus, it’s VERY customizable to how YOU like your latte.
- Water: Use as little as 8 ounces of water, or up to 16 ounces (I use 16 ounces in my Arctic tumbler.
- Matcha Green Tea Powder: Use as little as ½ tsp matcha green tea powder per 8 ounces of water or as much as 1 tsp.
- Collagen: If you don’t want to add this, feel free to skip it!
- Butter: Use as little as 1 tsp, or up to 1 Tbsp.
- MCT Oil: Use as little as 1 tsp, or up to 1 Tbsp.
- Stevia: You can omit this entirely if you prefer, but I like my latte’s to have a bit of sweet to them.
- Almond Milk: If you want more quality fat, consider using canned coconut milk!
Also, I like to use a milk frother to mix the tea and collagen together really well because it doesn’t wake the kids up in the morning, and because it travels well!
If you don’t have a milk frother, you could easily use a blender.
I do recommend using some sort of mixing device, other than a spoon, to avoid getting globs of tea at the bottom of the mug.
What to serve with matcha green tea latte?
Here are a few recipes I enjoy eating with my matcha latte:
- Chocolate Chip Scones
- Cranberry Orange Scones
- Healthy No-Bake Cookies
- Banana Bread Muffins
- Oatmeal Apple Breakfast Bars
- Kitchen Sink Granola Bars
Other favorite beverages:
- Cinnamon Dolce Latte
- Peppermint Mocha Latte
- Blueberry Cheesecake Smoothie
- Pumpkin Spiced Apple Cider
- Green Maca Smoothie
Two Week SampleDo you need step-by-step help with meal planning? Frugal Real Food Meal Plans is an all-in-one meal plan with recipes, shopping lists, shopping guides, money saving tips and more! Sign up below for a free sample!
Bulletproof Matcha Green Tea Latte
Skip coffee with this easy recipe for a bulletproof matcha green tea latte. Uses ingredients full of health benefits and a healthy amount of caffeine!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 20 oz 1x
- Category: Beverages
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- 16 oz hot water
- 1 scoop Perfect Supplements grass-fed collagen
- 1 tsp matcha green tea powder
- Plain or Vanilla-flavored liquid stevia, to taste
- ¼ – ½ cup almond milk
- Prepare the boiling water.
- Meanwhile, add collagen, matcha green tea powder and stevia to large mug. (I like to use my 16 oz Arctic mug).
- When the water is boiling, add it to the mug and let the tea sit for about one minute.
- Using a milk frother (or a blender), combine the ingredients together well.
- Add the almond milk and blend again. Enjoy warm!