Get the healthy weight loss benefits of a blueberry smoothie recipe that tastes like cheesecake! Make your healthy smoothie with or without almond milk and yogurt. This can be easily adapted to be vegan-friendly.
Do you ever crave a healthy dessert? Something that satisfies that sweet tooth without making you feel guilty?
When I want a cookie, I make dark chocolate chip oatmeal cookies. When I want something comforting, I make slow cooker blueberry cobbler. And when I want chocolate, I make my famous chocolate avocado pudding.
But what about when you’re craving cheesecake?
That’s when you make a cheesecake blueberry smoothie!
You see, as much as I love cheesecake, I really don’t like making it.
They’re fussy and temperamental to me. They need special mixing and baking techniques, and sometimes even misting the oven with water now and then. All this so your hard work doesn’t end with a huge crack down the middle.
Who has time for that?!
Blueberry Cheesecake Smoothie Recipe
I sure don’t, which makes me love this cheesecake blueberry smoothie recipe all the more. It’s a great recipe for breakfast or a snack in the heat of summer, plus it’s:
- Easy. Just mix everything up in a blender.
- Affordable. Use fresh or frozen blueberries and a few basics from the grocery store.
- Healthy. Nothing fake or processed!
- Kid-friendly. My kids literally think they’re having dessert!
- Perfect for any time of day. There’s no shame if you want something sweet for breakfast or mid-afternoon.
Plus it literally tastes like cheesecake! Your taste buds won’t know the difference!
Healthy Smoothies: Why is blueberry smoothie good for you?
This delicious smoothie recipe requires just 4 simple ingredients:
- Yogurt. Use regular or dairy-free – I recommend plain or vanilla. To save money, make your own yogurt! Here’s how to make homemade yogurt, and how to make Greek yogurt.
- Cottage Cheese. This is what gives our smoothie the signature cheesecake flavor!
- Banana. This adds just a bit of natural sweetness and is what makes the smoothie creamy.
- Blueberries. What gives this smoothie its beautiful purple color! Use fresh or frozen berries (here’s a tutorial on how to freeze blueberries).
Optional Nutrition Boosters for a Blueberry Smoothie
- Collagen: One scoop of grass-fed collagen adds protein and is great for your hair, skin, and nails! (Learn more about the health benefits of collagen). After doing a side-by-side test of two popular brands, I now only use and recommend Perfect Supplements.
- Flax seeds: Tons of nutrients in just one tablespoon. (Learn more about the health benefits of flax seeds).
- Old-fashioned oats: Oats contain many of the trace vitamins and minerals we need in our daily diets. Plus they’re cheap! (Learn more about the health benefits of oats.)
How to make a blueberry smoothie with milk and without yogurt?
Yogurt adds both enough liquid to achieve a smoothie consistency and bulk to the smoothie. I don’t recommend skipping it, but you can use kefir or dairy-free yogurt if you can’t tolerate regular yogurt.
How to make a blueberry smoothie with yogurt and without milk?
My recipe is written to use yogurt and we can get away without using milk because both the yogurt and cottage cheese are not entirely solid.
What can I use instead of banana in a smoothie?
We’re only using half of a medium banana and the banana flavor isn’t pronounced in this recipe, so I’d recommend giving it a shot before you skip the banana entirely.
If you try it and can taste the banana, try freezing the banana first AND/OR using an under-ripe banana.
If all else fails, both avocado and mango have the same creamy factor, but both will change the flavor significantly.
How to Make a Blueberry Smoothie
Smoothie aficionados (myself included since I wrote a book on high protein smoothies!**) will recommend using a high powered blender.
I personally have the Blendtec Classic, but I have friends who own a Vitamix and a Ninja and they work well too.
You can make smoothies in a regular blender, but you will want to make sure your banana is cut into 1” pieces and you might have to blend a few times to get a creamy, smooth texture.
The most important thing to remember when making a smoothie is that the order of ingredients is important! You want to add the ingredients to your blender in this order:
- Cottage Cheese
Doing it this way means having liquid at the bottom, which will allow everything else to blend properly.
** My book High Protein No Powder is currently on sale! Save 15% when you use coupon code SUMMER15 on this page.
How to Make a Blueberry Smoothie Bowl
The only difference between smoothies and a smoothie bowl is the thickness. You want a super thick smoothie for a bowl, which means using frozen bananas, frozen blueberries – everything needs to be frozen.
You can freeze cottage cheese in ice cube trays and use 4 cubes for one smoothie. (Each cube is about 2 tablespoons.)
If you make a smoothie bowl, you will need to add milk one tablespoon at a time, just so the blender has enough liquid to break down the ingredients.
The Best Fruit Smoothie Recipes
Here are a few of my other easy healthy smoothie recipes:
And if you’re new to smoothies in general:
- The Best Green Smoothie Recipe for Beginners
- 12 Natural Ways to Boost Protein in Smoothies
- 7 Superfoods to Hide in Smoothies
Want to make a blueberry strawberry smoothie?
This cheesecake blueberry smoothie was inspired by a blueberry cobbler smoothie and a strawberry cheesecake smoothie, both of which are in my most popular eBook, High Protein No Powder. If you haven’t guessed it, I love smoothies!
I recently updated the book to include 194 pages with 29 protein smoothie recipes, 17 protein bar recipes and TONS of charts and guides so you can make protein smoothies and protein bars to meet your nutritional goals WITHOUT relying on processed protein powder!
And right now, High Protein No Powder is 15% off when you use coupon code SUMMER15 on this page!
Healthy Blueberry Cheesecake Smoothie
Get the healthy weight loss benefits of a blueberry smoothie that tastes like cheesecake! Make it with or without almond milk and yogurt, vegan-friendly.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 0 mins
- Total Time: 5 mins
- Yield: 1 serving 1x
- Category: Beverages
- Method: Blend
- Cuisine: American
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese
- 1/2 banana
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- Add the ingredients in the order listed to your blender.
- Blend on high for one minute, or until completely smoothie.
- Serve immediately.
Keywords: Blueberry smoothie