Comments

1. Joyanna says

Just made homemade eggnog this weekend for the first time. I’m not a huge nog fan but my husband is and we thought it would be a fun tradition. Our recipe was different because I’m nursing and wanted to cook the eggs. It came out great and I would totally make it again, in fact we probably will! I agree, tastes much cleaner than store bought, worth the extra effort!

I’ve seen some recipes where you temper the eggs too Joyanna, which is a great alternative for pregnancy or conventional eggs. And I wholeheartedly agree that it’s worth the effort, although with a blender, the effort isn’t much. ;)

My entire family loves egg nog, as in my husband and I can drink a quart in one sitting! However, there is only one brand that we really, really love (I even drove 30 miles and paid >2x more for organic and we still liked the bad stuff better) and I am afraid homemade just won’t cut it. We only get 1 gallon of raw milk each week and I don’t want to waste it. However our farmer gifted us with an extra gallon this week so maybe it’s time to give it a go! Will try it and let you know what we think! I can already tell yours is going to be way less sweet – which is unfortunately why I think we love it?

I don’t blame you for not wanting to waste the raw milk! And you’re right, my version is way less sweet. I thought my recipe was wrong, but it took me a few sips to realize that it was because of the sweetener! You can always add more honey if you’d like. 1/2 cup of honey is still better than even just a tiny bit of HFCS. ;)

I LOVE the taste of homemade eggnog, I can tell for sure. Though, my recipe is much creamier than store-bought. Thanks for linking to it :) Merry Christmas! :)

4. Heather says

I just tried my hand at homemade eggnog for the first time, and it’s delicious! I’m going to try it in your scone recipe too!
    Just a note – I think your math is off ;-)

LOL – thanks for catching my error Heather! I think I should keep quiet about that math degree. ;) Glad you liked the eggnog, and it’s SO good in the scones. Gives it a dark, richer, fuller flavor. So Christmas-y! :)

5. Hélène says

re: alotta honey is better than a little HFCS
    unless ur getting raw honey from a local farmer ur honey is prob from “farmed-bees” which are fed HFCS. they set a tray of HFCS beneath the hive and bees go no where else as their food source is right there. so no pollen from flowers in the honey either.
    so in effect most honey is straight HFCS!
    which makes me kinda glad i buy the cheapest honey i can find, unless i could afford the health-food kind, local and truly raw.
    but it makes me mad as i thot at least it’s not corn syrup or even traditional white or brown sugar. :(
    but now…
    i was upset to comprehend this when i learned it, but it is true, research it.

Thanks for sharing a link to my eggnog recipes, Tiffany.

A note on the honey. I’m a part of a local group that gets together to organize bulk buys from local producers on things like honey and maple syrup. Together we get better prices and get the real thing from producers we trust, and they have a guaranteed market for their products.

I can’t stand store eggnog – way too thick and sweet! I grew up on a dairy farm and my mom always made the fresh stuff with our own milk and eggs.

You’re welcome!

Looking into local sources for honey and other items is on the list for 2014, but I do think it’s tougher in my area. Just not sure why!

Yeah for providing homemade egg nog recipes. I fell in love with Organic Valley’s eggnog, but their brief season is over. Excited to possibly extend my egg nog season a little longer by trying to make some of these recipes!

Trackbacks