Feeling like you need a little detox? This apple cider vinegar detox elixir is an easy way to improve your health and cleanse from the inside out! Similar to kombucha, drink daily to increase your energy and improve digestion!
This apple cider vinegar detox drink is a great way to help cleanse your system!
Apple cider vinegar is very helpful for the digestive system. Plus, it can help with other areas of your body!
This homemade apple cider vinegar detox elixir is made from simple ingredients you already have in your kitchen!
Here are some of the many health benefits:
- losing weight
- assisting with blood glucose and blood sugar levels
- benefiting heart health
- reducing high cholesterol
- boosting metabolism
- flushing toxins
- reducing bloating
- boosting the immune system
- helping with acid reflux
Here’s What You Need
You ONLY need 5 easy to find ingredients!
- Apple Cider Vinegar. It naturally balances your body’s pH and blood sugar levels. Similar to kombucha, it has many enzymes and acts as a probiotic, improving gut health. It also aids in detoxing the liver and lymphatic system.
- Lemon. This fruit is well known for its cleansing properties and its ability to help with weight loss.. It has a high mineral content and multiple vitamins like Vitamin C and folate which help balance your pH and nourish your body.
- Raw Honey. This honey has several immune boosting benefits. It has enzymes, vitamins, and minerals that will nourish the body as you detox. The bonus benefit of honey for this elixir is its sweet taste, which makes it go down much smoother.
- Ginger. Ginger has long been a traditional remedy for digestive issues. Along with its anti-inflammatory properties, Ginger will give your gut a strong health boost. Here’s how to freeze ginger so you always have some on hand!
- Cayenne Pepper. It is found to be a natural fat burner and has anti-inflammatory effects. Both of those aspects are helpful in detoxing the body.
Step by Step Instructions
Step 1. Mix ingredients in a glass or small jar.
Step 2. Add about an ounce of warm water.
Drink all at once before eating in the morning.
- Use warm water to make it easier to drink and help melt the honey.
- This recipe makes a shot of elixir. However, if you prefer to sip and like the flavors, fill your glass with water and enjoy!
- Make a triple batch that lasts a few days. Prepping it ahead makes it readily available to drink it consistently. Mix it in a mason jar (like this one) and store it in the refrigerator. Shake well before pouring a serving.
- Don’t be afraid of the cayenne pepper. It goes down quick!
- Local raw honey gives you the best benefits, especially if you suffer from seasonal allergies. Check out your farmer’s market for the best prices. If you can’t find it local try Amazon.
In my personal experience, I have felt dizziness and fatigue when doing a detox. This happened when I drank a bentonite clay detox smoothie AND a detox bath on the same day.
A detox can deplete the body with needed minerals. It’s best to take it slow and pair it with a healthy diet to keep your nutrients in balance.
That being said, you could feel the detox if you take too much at one time or try multiple detox methods at the same time.
Before starting any type of detox for health benefits, you should check with your doctor and seek professional medical advice.
Fresh is best, but bottled works if that’s what you have!
In lieu of apple cider vinegar, I wouldn’t recommend it.
More Ways to Use Apple Cider Vinegar
- Facial Toning: Mix 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar with 1 – 3/4 cup water. I use this after using this natural make-up remover.
- Manage Seasonal Allergies: Similar to treating a sinus infection with apple cider vinegar, mix 1 tsp with 2-3 Tbsp water, gargle for 30 seconds and swallow. Repeat twice daily, or up to four times for more severe allergies.
- Rid Croup: My son had a strange cough that included no other symptoms. We waited for a week to see if the cough would go away, but it didn’t. It was harsh, loud and often. We gave him the same remedy as the sinus infection and his cough had reduced significantly within one day and was completely gone within three.
- Remove Moles: I know this sounds crazy, but it really works! You can read how my husband removed a mole from the side of his face using ACV.
- Bug Repellent: I have recipes to make bug repellent with essential oils and bug repellent without essential oils. Yet, some readers have even suggested that drinking just 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar on a daily basis has kept bugs away too!
- Homemade Conditioner: Just 1 tablespoon of ACV and warm water can replace your typical conditioner. Not only does it work, but this will save you TONS of money too! Read the full tutorial on homemade conditioner here.
- Drinking in the morning will allow you to absorb the nutrients quickly and get your digestive system moving.
- Take this before every meal for a few weeks to jump-start your system on a detox. Then, cut back to just before breakfast.
More Detox Recipes
- How to Detox Your Armpits
- How to Take The Ultimate Detox Bath
- Simple DIY Detox Face Mask With Charcoal and Clay
- DIY Detoxifying Salt Scrub and Exfoliating Body Wash
5 Days to DIY Natural LivingBeing healthy isn’t just what goes IN your body, it’s what goes ON your body too. Download my free guide 5 Days to DIY Natural Living to learn how to save money while getting rid of harmful toxins throughout your home.
Watch How to Make Simple Apple Cider Vinegar Detox Elixir
Simple Apple Cider Vinegar Detox Elixir
An apple cider vinegar detox elixir to drink daily to improve digestion & increase energy. An easy way to improve your health from the inside out!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 1.5 oz 1x
- Category: Beverage
- Method: Bowl
- Cuisine: American
- 1 Tbsp raw apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice (about 1–2 wedges)
- ¼ tsp ginger
- 1 Tbsp raw honey
- Dash cayenne pepper (seriously just a dash!)
- Mix ingredients in a glass or small jar and add about an ounce of warm water. Drink all at once before eating in the morning.
- Calories: 36
Keywords: apple cider vinegar detox
Heather, you mention in the recipe that ACV and lemon juice need refrigeration. Is that only if they are mixed together, or do you keep your bottle of ACV refrigerated all the time?
Would it be normal to have excessive bowel movements
In the first day or two with this? I have eaten and drank
Poorly for a while leading up to this. I want to keep taking it, but want to make sure it is safe to.
My husband recently started drinking ACV with fresh lemon, raw honey and MINERAL WATER to heal his gut. This is only a couple of ingredients more and sound like something I can use. Thanks for the inspiration!
I’m not too familiar with ginger. I know the fresh ginger root is in the produce section, but is there an easier way to include it or what’s the best way to handle the ginger if what’s in the produce section is my only option?
You can use raw ginger too Dee, it will just be a bit more powerful. It also won’t mix easily, so you’d want to run in it through a blender before drinking.
I ve been using this recipe for 1 month now and I ve seen great results, I also suggested to my friends also.
I have been making a mix of my own for the last 4 days. First thing in the morning and in the evening. I heat up the water til it’s just hot enough. I Tbsp ACV, 1/4 tsp Turmeric, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 spoon coconut oil, 1 drop lemon essential oil, 2 drops slim and sassy essential oil, and honey to taste. I am hooked. Feeling the benefits and looking forward to seeing the weight drop. I am also doing the Alternate Day Fast and this really helps with keeping hunger down, feeling satisfied. I have been thinking about adding the cayenne as well as ginger.
My naturopath recommended I take ACV with water before meals for digestive issues. I found it also cured my chronic sore throat as well. Recently, we were traveling in Germany and I had an upset stomach so I went to the store for ACV. Not really knowing how to translate it exactly, we found a drink that I’m fairly certain was close to this recipe with ACV, lemon, and honey. Looking forward to trying this recipe.
Is it okay not to add cayyene pepper?
I’ve been using this recipe for 2 weeks, minus 3 – 4 days for a bad cold and cough. It’s a Godsend! I’m 51 years old and I’ve lost 28 lbs! I admit I mistakenly used 2 oz of ACV and added cinnamon and Turmeric for the health benefits. It’s not the greatest tasting drink, but going down 1 full size in 2 weeks is amazing! I felt so much better. My skin was clearer, I had energy, my clothes are so loose that my husband even noticed! Thank you so much for sharing this recipe!
Hi Nancy, for weight loss, how often are your drinking it? and are you doing a special diet? I am 45 and I am trying to lose about 20 lbs.
Donna M Moore
I’ve been using the AC V for 5 days twice a day but I have not noticed any weight difference but I have found that I feel a lot better my intestines feel better and I’m not near as tired as what I used to be I was anxious thinking that it would help me to lose weight but so far no luck with that
To get maximum benefit it is always best to use fresh ingredients .Yes it takes a little while longer to make but it benefits your body even more . Using raw ginger , you just peel it, chop it up in little cubes and steep in a bowl of hot water . Some people will even use raw ginger in there food processor and turn it into a paste and then add it to hot water to steep for 10 minutes . I then use a strainer and pour the ginger water into a pitcher and then add the raw honey to your taste .This allows the honey to blend in evenly .The steeping doesn’t boil all of the goodness out oft he products .Never boil ginger and honey because you kill the beneficial effects ! I then add ice to bring temp down and then add apple cider and lemons and refridge or drink a glass then and there . I make enough for 5 days a week so my time is used wisely .
Jeffrey T Moss
Honey ought NEVER be cooked,ginger however can be boiled without losing and possibly increasing its health benefits.
How many of these drinks can I have per day? I use my bullet with a small amount of water to ground my ginger. I pour it through cheese cloth.
I’ve heard of drinking a similar recipe twice per day, but I don’t know if I’d do more than that. 🙂
I’ve just made the big batch of this DELICIOUS drink, and now I can’t wait for tomorrow morning to come so that I can start my day with this super-healthy elixir!
Thank you for the great recipe! By the way, I added about a teaspoon of Turmeric as well, because of it’s great healing properties, and the taste blends in well with everything else. :))
That’s a great addition Peta – thank you for sharing!
We make Vinegar with lemon since 18 months but we never use ( Chinese Recipe) we would like to begin t now but we are worry about sugar , please could you tell me if sugar is a problem for diabetic person??
Hi William – I am not diabetic and don’t have first-hand experience to share. I’m sorry! I would recommend talking to health professional.
If I wanted to use real, raw ginger how could I go about adding it and how much of the root should I use? I’m really looking forward to giving this a try and adding some turmeric to the recipe as well.
I ended up juicing the ginger. It was a bit of a hassle though. Those things are not easy to juice -_-
OH my, I bet they’re not! Maybe next time you could stick the whole thing in the blender? Maybe do a double batch so there’s enough for the blender to operate. 🙂
This is for Ms Katelyn.
1. U can shred the roots over a bowl of water (with the peeling). Let it sit overnite. Next day strain off the ginger and pour into a large container add raw honey. Taste to your satisfaction. Add mothersfriend ACV unfiltered (vinager.
2. U can peel a piece of the root with a spoon. Cut into slices then add to a pot of water to boil for 15-20 mins.with a lid…Water (depends on how much tea u want. If its too weak add more ginger, if too strong add more water. If u r satisfied add the raw honey while it is hot to your taste. Refrigerate overnite.
N the morning add your other ingredients. U can drink this as a hot tea or a cold one.
I hope this helps..
Jeffrey T Moss
Asian food market usually sell plastic graters made for ginger,turmeric as well.Or crush the ginger as much as possible and mince it with a sharp knife.
Put a whole piece of ginger root in a freezer bag and store it in the freezer. When you need it, grate the frozen ginger using a zester and add it to taste, super easy. I like ginger alot, so I would zest a small pile, about half a ping-pong balls worth.
Get a Breville juicer. Works awesome for ginger and tumeric. Cold centrifugal machine works best
Can you use lemon and ginger essential oil and if so how many drops would you use?
I would suggest making sure you are using essential oils from a company you trust concerning purity if you are going to ingest. Only one drop of each oil is plenty. Essential oils are very potent and a little goes a long way!
I have been drinking 2 teaspoons of raw ACV in a juice glass diluted with water every morning and it has cleared my face of Perioral Dermatitis and adult acne that has plagued me for a few years. I had to get used to the taste but the raw, organic ACV has a more “apple” flavor than just the standard ACV. It tastes kind of like a vinegarette salad dressing but it is not horrible. I have trouble with acid indigestion at times and was really worried about ACV making it worse. It absolutely did not bother me in the least! I also use straight ACV as a spot corrector if I have a blemish and it dries it up overnight. I would recommend this at night because the blemish will redden temporarily and then calm down quite nicely after several hours. Can’t wait to try this Detox Elixer!
Awesome! I’m so glad it’s helped with your skin! I’ve also seen ACV recommended if you have acid reflux or similar issues. The acidity of Raw ACV actually helps balance the acid in your stomach. It’s got lots of benefits!
True story, I had acid reflux so bad I was eating Rolaids by the hand full. My brother turned me on to ACV and I thought WTH???? I have ACID reflux, how is putting MORE acid in my stomach suppose to help???? Well it DOES, I drink it daily and sleep like a kitten.
When you have acid reflux this means your stomach is not producing enough acid to break down the foods you are eating quick enough. Adding more acid HELPS because of this. Alot of people think they have too much acid with acid reflux when in reality it’s the other way around. Search Dr. Berg on youtube. He’s amazing.
Is a dash the same as a pinch? 🙂 And is an ounce of water, 2 tablespoons?
A pinch will work! And I think an ounce of water is more than 2 Tbsps. You can eyeball it though. There’s room for adjustments in this recipe!
Old comment, but yes, 2 Tbsps is 1 fluid ounce.
Ive folloew your recipe almost to the letter. I found though that more water makes it taste like lemonade sort of. 8x looks like1/2 c honey 1/2 c lemon juice, 1/2 c apple cider vinegar, 2 tsp ginger, 1/4 tsp Cayenne, 2-3 c water to taste. Yummy! The cayenne is very different but I add it for the heart health benefits. Thanks for the recipe!
Awesome! Thanks for the large batch measurements!
If you make the large quantity should it be refrigerated or can it be kept out?
She says to refrigerate in the article
I tried this but the honey separated. Because I stored it in the refrigerator it was very difficult to mix together for a single serving when I needed it. Any suggestions?
Jeffrey T Moss
Don’t refrigerate, vinegar and lemon juice do not need it.
The article says to refrigerate the vinegar and lemon juice.
“The ACV and fresh lemon need to be refrigerated.”
Which is it?? Refrigerate or not?
I’d like to know what happens if the exact ingredients (raw honey, raw ACV) are not used. For instance, regular powder ginger and ACV from the jar (McCornmick’s).
Multiply the ounce of water by 8 for the large batch, should be 8 ou water=1 cup?
Great recipe, I added turmeric and pepper also 🙂
I see raw honey listed twice, is this a typo? Also, can ground ginger be substituted and if so, how much measure? What measure of water to add this to?
Great recipe -if I were to make a big batch of this to last a week, how much would you drink each time?
Hey Alicia! I think it measures out to be about half an ounce for a single batch. (Minus the water.)
I just made a 5 day batch of this elixir and it doesn’t taste bad! I added half a teaspoon of turmeric for it’s health benefits 🙂
Wonderful news Lea! And great addition on the turmeric!
I was wondering about substituting turmeric for the cayenne and ginger???
Can I substitute turmeric
Where do you purchase tumeric? Is just any otc in stores sufficient?
It’s a spice in the cooking aisle right next to the cinnamon, paprika, etc. Or you can order it in bulk from a place like Amazon (ends up being cheaper and better quality).
I prefer to use actual turmeric root, you can find it in many produce stores or in the produce section of a grocery store (wegman’s, wholefoods). I grate it using a zester (which I also use to grate frozen ginger). Turmeric will stain orange everything it touches (fingers, zester, cutting board). You could just be extra careful or wear a glove to minimize the mess. It’s worth the mess to me because I feel the flavor or fresh turmeric is much better than powdered form and the bio-availability of the beneficial curcuminoids is greater than that of dried turmeric. If you use dried tumeric, listen to Jeffrey’s comment below about black pepper. Black pepper contains piperine, an alkaloid, which helps your body better absorb curcuminoids from dried turmeric, which are normally not well absorbed by the body.
Tiffany’s recipe is effective and tastes great just the way it is. I’ll save the turmeric for something else.
But how much of everything is used? I’m one that needs actual measurements, lol.
the measurements are on there look towards the end of the original post .
1 Tbsp raw apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice (about 1-2 wedges)
¼ tsp ginger
1 Tbsp raw honey
Dash cayenne pepper (seriously just a dash!)
Jeffrey T Moss
Don’t forget the black pepper,drastically increases the benefits of turmeric, just a pinch.
Im curious , i was reccomened this mixture plus the tumeric minus the ginger for stomach issues , SIBO(small intestinal bacterial overgrowth). My concern is i already feel nauseas when i first wake up latley since im transitioning off of an acid reducer and the SIBO can have syptoms of nausea as well so will this mixture make me feel sour stomach or really queezy ? Especially on an empty stomach it just makes me nervous lol. Thought maybe u could tell me how u feel when u take it and what your taking it for