DIY homemade healing lotion for dry skin, cracked hands due to winter, windburn, gardening or any other circumstance that calls for homemade heavy duty lotion. Super easy to make in 15 minutes with just 4 all-natural ingredients! Also try my homemade tinted moisturizer.
I tend toward dry skin – especially on my hands. So finding a moisturizer that really works is essential.
But commercial moisturizers have lots of unhealthy ingredients that I don’t want to put on my skin, plus they can make the dryness worse.
No more dry, cracked, painful skin! (That sounds like an infomercial but it’s totally true!)
The secret ingredient is the comfrey and calendula infused olive oil. Comfrey has been used in traditional medicine to support wound healing and can even help heal broken bones.
Calendula has also been used for centuries to treat inflammation, burns, bruises, and cuts, and minor infections. The combination of the comfrey and calendula oil infused oil and the butter make a great all-purpose skin healing lotion. It’s so much better than just any regular lotion – try it and you’ll see for yourself!
Note: There is some controversy over whether comfrey is safe. I believe it is safe when used as intended (find out why here). However, if you want to be extra cautious, you can leave the comfrey out when you make the infused oil recipe.)
Calendula is generally considered safe but, if you want to skip the herbs all together and stick with regular olive oil, this recipe is still amazing for your skin! Talk with your healthcare provider about what is best for you.
DIY Homemade Healing Lotion
- 1/4 cup cocoa butter or shea butter
- 1/4 cup Comfrey and calendula infused olive oil (or just olive oil)
- 1 Tbsp beeswax
- 1/4 tsp vitamin e oil
Healing Lotion Instructions Step-By-Step
Step 1. Mix the cocoa butter, olive oil and beeswax in a double boiler over low heat, until melted.
Step 2. Pour the melted lotion into a glass jar (a mason jar works well) and allow to cool.
Then add the vitamin E and stir in with a spoon, popsicle stick, whatever you have. You can take it one step further and beat the lotion with a hand mixer to make this lotion more like a body butter, but I hate added work so I don’t bother.
Healing Lotion Tips
- The natural ingredients in this healing lotion help moisturize and protect the skin from dry and cold air. When I get dry hands, I just slather on a glob and keep working it in until it’s absorbed.
- This lotion is my secret weapon for those really cold days when I have to do something outside that I can’t do while wearing gloves.
- I slather on some of this lotion for a little protection every time I go out. It’s not greasy so my hands don’t slip but my skin gets a bit of a barrier from the beeswax.
What else can I use homemade lotion for?
- Windburned noses and cheeks
- Raw, cracked hands
- Garden hands
- Dry feet
- Bumps, bruises and boo-boos, especially when they come with dry skin!