Comments

I made this bread yesterday. It was easy and pretty tasty. Except it seemed a little too salty. I went over in my mind the recipe and remember thinking, wow, 2 tablespoons of salt?! Then this morning I looked at the actual recipe that I printed out and realized I’d misread it. 2 teaspoons, Wendy! When I make this again I will be more careful. ;)

Oh Wendy! I have to admit – I thought of you when I made another batch a couple days ago. I had to check and recheck the salt measurements, just in case. Oh well, worst case scenario you have seasoned breadcrumbs!

This looks great! I’ve been making an oatmeal bread that also has white flour in it. This looks like a more wholesome recipe. I will definitely give this one a try!

I like the way you think. There are a lot of ways to improve our nutrition but it’s impossible, and impractical, to do them all at once, or maybe not even all at the same time. Making little improvements here and there is how we change our habbits for a life time. We actually don’t even eat that much bread. Still, I love to make some every now and then, and that makes it a little more special. Thanks for sharing.

Hi Tiffany,
    That bread looks delicious! Thank you so much for sharing your awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you have a great weekend and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

Jen,

I originally added the gluten because I didn’t know how adding oat flour would affect the rise. Each time I make this I’ve used less and less (currently at 3T). If you didn’t use any gluten, may not rise as high after baking but you should still be ok. Be sure to use white sugar and not honey or any other sweetener – without the gluten you’ll need the extra rise property that white sugar gives. ~Tiffany

5. Kinzie says

White sugar being bad and all… do you use a natural sugar? Or since the sugar is mostly food for the yeast, does it really matter what kind you use? Just wondering. :)

Kinzie,

Changing to a more natural sugar is on the horizon. Baby steps. ;) When it comes to bread, I tend to use white sugar because it’s typically a small amount (2T – 1/4 cup for 2-3 loaves), and because it’s mostly for the yeast to feed. It does have some rise properties, but I don’t know exactly how much since I’ve never tried these recipes without the sugar (afraid they’d do kaput, which would make a frustrated Mama who was needing some bread!).

I have successfully subbed honey and maple syrup in this particular recipe and each gives a slightly different flavor and compliment the oats REALLY well (makes an AWESOME PBJ sammy). When it comes to white sugar, I’m more concerned about sweet foods that use a larger quantity of it. Our first line of defense is to cut back on the quantity of sugar in each recipe, and making them less frequently – the latter helping the most. I recently make a chocolate cake and accidentally forgot half the sugar – came out delicious and couldn’t imagine it being any sweeter. I’d like to get the bulk of my sugar experimentation out of the way before I start spending the money on the good stuff. :) ~Tiffany

6. Cassandra says

Hi there, I’m a newbie here on this blog, but I’m already addicted! I downloaded your 22 days to a Fresh Start Series and have been happily humming along through the steps. Thank you so much for breaking it all down into bite sized morsels for me! I’m always stressed about trying to do it all at once (all or nothing mentality) and doing it perfectly, ugh. I’m overwhelmed before I can even start! But, now I’ve already done the first 7 steps and I’ve followed the trail here for baking bread. I’ve never made a loaf from scratch in my life, true story, lol. I have a bread machine and have used that before, but that’s cheating I’m sure, haha! I’d really like to try this recipe, but I don’t have any bread flour, is all purpose doable? Have you ever tried it? And, I have old fashioned oats and also steel cut oats, do either work for making into oat flour? Thanks so much!

Welcome Cassandra! So glad you’re HAPPILY humming! :)

Bread machine definitely counts. I’d probably use one if I had one, but I don’t and I’m too frugal to buy one (even used!).

Here’s some bread basics: gluten is what makes bread soft and spongey. Bread flour has more gluten than AP, which is why it’s preferred for bread purposes, although it doesn’t have THAT much more. Long story short, you can use AP if you have vital wheat gluten. If you don’t have VWG, reduce the ground oats to 1 cup for the first batch. The VWG counteracts the heavy weight of oats. If you use the full 2 cups of oat flour and AP without any additional “oomp” to help it rise, you may end up with a brick (although still tasty!).

Use whichever oats cost you the least for oat flour. Steel cut oats typically cost a bit more so I’d use those specifically for oatmeal. For recipes where you don’t actually eat the oat itself (i.e. cookies, cakes, this bread…) use the old fashioned and grind away!

Best of luck Cassandra! Happy to have you on board! ~Tiffany

7. Heather says

Hi,
    I want to try making this bread but I have a son who can’t have dairy. Eliminating dairy is a new thing for us so I am not used to figuring it out yet. Is there something that I can replace the butter with?

8. Natalie says

Love this recipe! I tried it for the first time today with my kids and wow – amazing. Wow do we buy the bread from the store? Thank you for posting!