Comments

1. Heather says

I had to laugh when you said that you had never seen bread made by hand. My kids have never seen a bread machine. In fact when I got sick 2 yrs ago and had to take a break from making bread my husband bought the “good” store bread and we would find the moldy loaves pushed to back of the pantry. I have been making bread so long I don’t even have the receipe written down anymore. And for those of you who say you don’t have time, the time it takes to make bread is only about 20 to 30 active mins. The rest you can do other things while the bread rises.

I completely second you on the time factor. Maybe you can coincide bread making with laundry – you know, new/switch/fold during the rises? ;)

2. Melinda T says

I’ve never made/baked my own bread before! :/ I’m not much of a cook or baker, but maybe one of these days I’ll try it!

3. Heather says

I love the laundry idea. On the days that I am making bread I am usually having a baking day. Bars for the kids lunches and other snacks for the house that week. One of our favs right now is the Carrot spice vanilla chip bread. I make it into muffins for the lunch. If they last that long.:)

Awesome! I have done both ways, but when I’ve tried to do the “dough” cycle on my bread machine to try to save some time/monitoring it never turns out. I’ll have to give this a shot since I’d like to make loafs that look “real” instead of the weird bread machine cube. I’ve pinned this to my “A Little Kneady” board on Pinterest. Joining from C.R.A.F.T.

I think I grew up in the exact opposite situation as you. We always made bread by hand and when I found a $5 bread machine at a thrift store I was thrilled. We had excellent results with it and were just thrilled with how much time it saved, none of us liked standing there and kneading it. In fact, my mom still has it and uses it frequently. I will say that we mostly used the dough setting and baked it in the oven. :)

If we had a machine, I’d use it for the dough setting as well. Like Jenn mentioned, a nicer looking loaf just sounds more appealing than a square one! Plus don’t some have a stick or something that goes down the middle? I don’t want holey bread!

I love bread (real, please) and anything to do with it…thanks for your post! It’s a great way to save those leftover bread making cookbooks from landfill! :) Happy Kneading! Blessings, Nancy at livinithegreen

What a great post. I have slowly over the last year began to dabble more with baking bread from scratch without a bread machine or mix and it really is amazing!

Thanks so much for linking up last week at the Humble Brag! Hope to see you back tomorrow to link up more great projects. Don’t forget, we will be giving away more free ad space but you must link back in order to win or be featured! :)

I don’t know what I would do without my bread machine. Thanks for sharing these instructions…just in case my machine should poop out from over usage. :)

Trackbacks