Easy tutorial for homemade shaving cream for men or women. This DIY natural shaving cream recipe lathers the skin & has no toxins or harmful ingredients! It is a great alternative to traditional skin care products.
Have you ever wondered what’s in your skincare products? I know I have.
There are so many harmful ingredients that can be found in our beauty and skincare products. And yes, that includes shaving cream!
Most shaving creams have harmful chemicals like sulfates, Phthalates, Formaldehyde, Isopentane, and the list goes on…
I wanted to create a healthy homemade shaving cream that I’d feel safe about my family using, and this is it!
Why Make Homemade Shaving Cream
Since beginning my natural living journey, I’ve learned the benefits of making skincare and cosmetic products homemade. I make my own makeup remover, sunscreen, face masks, lotions, soap, and other natural products.
The more you read labels and research, it quickly becomes evident that we need to be more mindful of what we are putting on our skin. It is our body’s largest organ, after all!
Here’s why I prefer to make homemade shaving cream:
- Healthier (no toxins). What we put on our skin ends up in our bloodstream. And who wants harmful chemicals in their bloodstream? Reducing toxins can have a powerful impact on your overall well-being.
- Easy to make.
- For men AND women. This shaving cream can be used on the face (for men) or the legs.
- Moisturizing. This homemade cream both protects from nicks and razor burn and it moisturizes your skin. I’m able to have silky smooth legs, without harmful toxins!
Ingredients for DIY Shave Butter
I’ll be the first to admit that this shaving cream recipe is not as frugal as buying a can of fluffy stuff at the store, but it is way better for you.
This DIY shaving cream includes four beneficial ingredients:
- Mango butter. An excellent moisturizer that adds substance to this shaving cream allowing it to be whipped into a smooth and fluffy texture. I prefer mango butter over cocoa butter for this recipe.
- Coconut oil. Hydrates the skin and makes the application of this shaving cream easier. This is the kind I use.
- Castile Soap. This vegetable-based natural soap helps the cream glide on and keeps it from being too thick.
- Oil. The oil keeps the shaving cream from being too thick. You can use: olive oil, grapeseed oil, sweet almond oil, avocado oil, or jojoba oil, to name a few. Each has its own benefits, but they all give your skin nourishment and moisture!
How to make DIY Homemade Shaving Cream
You’ll need a stand mixer (I have this one), or electric beaters to make this shaving cream, along with a 4 or 8 oz mason jar.
- Melt coconut oil and mango butter. Stir in the oil and soap.
- Let cool and allow to harden (can take up to an hour).
- Use a mixer to whip the mixture for at least 2 minutes. Transfer the cream to a glass jar with a lid.
It’s really that simple!
Note: If the mixture is not fluffy after two minutes, whip for another minute. The cream will vary in volume depending on how long it is whipped.
Additional Recipe Notes and Cautions
- If using in the shower, be very careful. This cream could make the tub slippery.
- Be sure to keep water out of the container as it could cause the cream to develop bacteria and affect the shelf life. I don’t recommend using wet fingers to remove the cream (it’s best to dry hands first or use a spoon).
- Because the cream is rather thick you will only need a small amount. It will be necessary to rinse razor a few times during shaving.
My favorite homemade skincare products:
- DIY Natural Makeup Remover
- Homemade Sunscreen
- DIY Lip Scrub and Balm
- Detox Salt Scrub and Body Wash
- Homemade Healing Lotion
DIY Homemade Shaving Cream
Easy tutorial for homemade shaving cream for men or women. This DIY natural shaving cream recipe lathers the skin & has no toxins or harmful ingredients!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 8 oz 1x
- Category: Natural Living
- Method: Mixer
- Cuisine: American
- 2 1/2 oz mango butter (can substitute shea butter, if desired)
- 2 1/2 oz coconut oil
- 3 Tbsp castile soap (I use peppermint, but any scent will work)
- 2 Tbsp jojoba oil, sweet almond oil, or grapeseed oil
- Place coconut oil and mango butter in a pot and warm over low heat until melted. You may also use a double-boiler if desired.
- Once melted, allow to cool briefly. Add the oil and soap. Stir to combine.
- If the mixture is cool enough, pour into a mixing bowl. If not, let cool until close to room temperature, before transferring to a bowl. Place in the fridge until completely cool.
- Allow to harden. This could take up to an hour.
- Once hard, remove bowl from fridge. If the mixture is too firm to beat with an electric mixer, allow to soften a little.
- Use a hand mixer to whip the mixture for at least two minutes. If the mixture is not fluffy after two minutes, whip for another minute.
- It will resemble whipped frosting.
- It’s tempting to lick the beaters!
- Cream will vary in volume depending on how long it is whipped.
- Once sufficiently whipped, transfer shaving cream to a container (a 4 to 6 ounce container should work) and close with a lid.