Comments

1. Diana says

From where did you get your dirt? That would be a big expense for me to have to buy all of it. I am looking to build another bed but have been waiting for free lumber :-) The last one I built I used wood from my garage left from previous owners. I have to look some more to see if there is enough to do that again.

Our raised beds are made from wooded roofing tile crates given to us by a local roofing supply company. They are kind of like pallets in that sometimes people are just giving them away. Ask around! They are a fixed size but you can take off one end and connect them together. They aren’t gorgeous but they were free!

3. Alicia says

Hi,
    My concern would be whether or not the old wood was pressure treated. I have read that after 2003 wood that has been pressure treated is safer to use but if the old scraps someone finds are from before that date I would be concerned about the chemicals that were used on the wood. I think it could be a safety issue using pressure treated scraps of wood.

Hi Alicia,

I just read an article on the topic (http://www.finegardening.com/does-pressure-treated-wood-belong-your-garden) and while one article doesn’t make it 100%, it seems that most of the danger happens within the first season or two of treatment (our wood is over 20 years old), the soil closest to the wood is affected, and there’s a very small chance that any chemicals would make it to the food itself. A great point Alicia! Thank you for mentioning it!

My husband used scrap wood he found at our house – the previous owners weren’t good about getting rid of things like that – to build my raised garden boxes, too. Other gardening supplies definitely can add up – soil, seeds/seedlings, supports for tomato and other plants, etc. – so we keep and reuse everything we can. Plus, I’m composting, which I consider a double-win: free compost/soil for the garden AND we use fewer trash bags!

Good luck with the garden this summer!

Yes, supplies can add up. We’ve reused shish-ka-bob sticks for the tomatoes, used bare minimum seeds and I’ve been keeping the small containers that the tomato seedlings came in. I’m also keeping the small containers that our food comes it for next year’s seeds. I don’t plan to lose too much dirt this year, so hopefully that won’t be to big of an issue next year!

5. Marie says

I did the same thing, all my plants that I started in the house grew like crazy and totally outgrew every planter, jar and container I could find while my hasbana was away. When he got home the first project was definitely the raised garden beds,! We put in 3 8′x4′ beds and the plants are in and looking good. ☺
    I am going to be trying my hand at canning and pickleing, wish me luck!!

6. Theresa says

Thank you for all of your great ideas. I am growing my first garden this year and my garden bed was built by some friends of mine (yes, I bought the material but hey…!). I hope to build the next bed myself.
    One comment: When working with tools it is important to always wear shoes; too many painful accidents can happen and having shoes on can prevent greater dangers.

7. Gloria1957 says

Another great idea for a Renters Garden, is using fence planks. They range between $1-2 each, for the inexpensive ones, which is great if you can’t find anything for free. You can sometimes find old ones for free when a neighbor is redoing their fence. They are a little thin, which is why I wouldn’t suggest it for a long-term Garden (Anything over 5 years), but they definitely work in a pinch!

• Gwen L says

Do you think you could double the boards for a sturdier option? I’m looking at cedar planks for less than $3 each and freaking out at how awesome this idea is.

To make it taller? Or thicker? In either case, sure you can! Taller beds would give you the option of adding better soil/sand/compost to the mix, and the plants feeding on that more than what’s available on the ground. $3 per plank isn’t a bad deal. You could do a single 8×4 bed for $9, or a double for just $18!