Finding a stomach flu remedy is hard. Especially if you have kids that can’t keep anything down. These activated charcoal gummies are a great natural remedy to stop a stomach bug in its tracks. Don’t forget to try my easy and healthy homemade gummy recipe and elderberry gummies.
The stomach flu (viral gastroenteritis) – a.k.a. stomach virus, a.k.a. stomach bug – is zero percent fun.
My family and I have caught the bug twice last year, and both times I thought it was never going to end.
We didn’t want to take Pepto-Bismol, Imodium, any medications, or antibiotics for the stomach flu.
But there was one remedy that actually worked: charcoal.
If you’ve never heard of activated charcoal, you’re not alone. After being on a natural living journey for several years, I had only heard of it in a detox face mask.
I didn’t know it was a natural stomach flu remedy until my sister-in-law told me about it!
How Activated Charcoal Works
I believe it’s important to know WHY you’re doing something, not just HOW, so before you jump in and make this miracle stomach flu remedy, let me explain how activated charcoal works.
- Activated charcoal does NOT come from the charcoal you use in a grill. It’s made from a substance (usually bamboo, wood, or coconut shells) that is burned without oxygen to create char. This char then goes through a multi-step process to make it extremely porous, i.e. “activated.”
- This porous substance – activated charcoal – pulls toxins into itself adsorption (not absorption) and is flushed out of the body as waste (the body cannot absorb activated charcoal).
- In fact, activated charcoal is so effective at removing toxins, that this study found that giving activated charcoal to a poisoned patient FIRST was more effective than the more common method of medically-induced vomiting!
Grape Juice for Stomach Viruses?
Just like any other illness, the top stomach flu remedies include lots of fluids and rest.
But what if this isn’t enough? What if your child can’t keep anything down, including water, and can’t sleep well because of the constant vomiting?
- My sister-in-law recommended grape juice, and it seems to be a common cure from moms across the internet, at least according to this blogger and this one too.
- While there’s no concrete science supporting grape juice as a remedy for the stomach flu, I can’t ignore the advice of moms – after all, we’re the ones in the trenches, right?
Stomach Flu Remedy: Charcoal Gummies
So here are my thoughts behind charcoal gummies as a stomach flu remedy:
1. They contain activated charcoal
As I mentioned above, activated charcoal is great at getting rid of the junk in our bellies. If you take it at the first sign of the stomach flu in the house – that means EVERYONE takes it even if they’re not sick yet – then you stand a good chance of not getting sick.
Your chances diminish slightly if you are already sick, BUT we used it anyway and it definitely shortened the length of the sickness.
2. They contain grape juice
Again, not a scientifically proven method, but all these moms can’t be wrong. Besides, when my son and I were struggling to keep food down, the grape juice didn’t come back up.
Note: Juice in general often contains added sugars. When you’re shopping for grape juice, read the ingredients to ensure it’s ONLY grape juice. From concentrate is okay, just avoid added sugars.
3. Activated charcoal is black
I don’t know about your kids, but mine weren’t keen on the idea of eating something black. Throw in the fact that they’re throwing up, and black food REALLY ranked low.
Making gummies with grape juice masks the fact that activated charcoal is black.
4. Activated charcoal stains
Even if you can get your kid to drink activated charcoal in a glass of water, this isn’t something you want them to drink while laying down on the sofa, on the living room carpet.
Charcoal gummies make dispensing charcoal as a remedy so much easier, and cleaner all around.
5. Gummies are fun!
When you’re not feeling well, food, in general, doesn’t sound good. Making charcoal gummies is an easier way to get a child (or adult!) to take the activated charcoal, even if it’s in small doses.
Besides, have you ever met a kid who didn’t like gummies?! When we’re not sick, we make our own using this homemade gummy recipe.
6. You control the dosage
However, by making gummies, you don’t have to mess with figuring out if you should dose ½ a capsule or ¼ capsule or even less.
- On a practical note, when you have one kid throwing up and dealing with black activated charcoal that stains, dealing with the capsules on the kitchen counter is just a pain.
- With charcoal gummies, figure out how much charcoal you put in the recipe, divide by the number of gummies you made, and then you know how much is in each one. I keep all the gummies in a bag in the freezer and write on the bag how many gummies equals one capsule.
- Activated charcoal is a great stomach flu remedy. We used these gummies to help stop the last bug that hit our house. No mess, and easy to keep in your tummy.
Charcoal Gummies Supplies
- 100% grape juice (no sugar added – read the ingredients!)
- unflavored gelatin (I use this grass-fed gelatin)
- activated charcoal, pre-measured (I have this kind and ended up opening 10 capsules)
- gummy molds (I used these, but you can use a 9×13 glass dish as well)
- whisk (I used this flat whisk)
How to Make Charcoal Gummies as a Stomach Flu Remedy
Step 3. Carefully pour the liquid into the molds and freeze for 10 minutes, or until the liquid has gelled.
Note: the longer they freeze, the easier it is to remove from the mold. They need 10 minutes minimum to gel, but I suggest leaving them in the freezer overnight so they’re easier to unmold.
Step 4. Store in the freezer and dose as desired.
Stomach Infection Remedy FAQs
According to Mayo Clinic, the length of time you’ll have symptoms with the stomach virus is one or two days. It is possible that it could last up to 14 days. Watch for signs of dehydration.
The stomach virus is actually not caused by the influenza virus. It’s an intestinal infection. You can get sick from parasites, toxins, bacteria, and viruses.
Viruses are the most common cause of stomach flu. The Norovirus is often the culprit for adults. The Rotavirus is often to blame for the stomach bug in children. These viruses make your stomach and intestines irritated and inflamed.
You need to let your stomach settle and take small sips of water. Take charcoal gummies. Ease your way back into eating and eat blandly.
The BRAT diet works great and consists of rice, bananas, toast, and applesauce. Avoid caffeine, this can make diarrhea and pain worse. Rest is very important as well. Rest is very important as well.
The stomach bug will usually heal itself within a few days. The pressing concern is for infants, toddlers, children, and the elderly, is dehydration. If you cannot rehydrate at home, seek medical advice from a doctor.
More Natural Home Remedies
- Homemade Elderberry Syrup
- DIY Whipped Magnesium Lotion
- How to Heal Chapped Lips Naturally
- 5 Simple Ways to Stay Healthy This Winter
Stomach Flu Remedy: Charcoal Gummies
Finding a stomach flu remedy is hard. Especially if you have kids that can’t keep anything down. These activated charcoal gummies are a great natural remedy to stop a stomach bug in its tracks. Don’t forget to try my easy and healthy homemade gummy recipe and elderberry gummies!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 25–75 gummies 1x
- Category: home remedy
- Method: Stove top
- Cuisine: American
- In a small saucepan, measure grape juice and gelatin. Slowly bring the heat up to medium-low and whisk together to thoroughly dissolve the gelatin.
- Remove from the heat and add the activated charcoal. Whisk in the activated charcoal, taking care not to make too many bubbles. The charcoal will not dissolve entirely.
- Carefully pour the liquid into the molds and freeze for 10 minutes, or until the liquid has gelled.
- Store in the freezer and dose as desired.
- Serving Size: 2 gummies
- Calories: 15
Keywords: stomach flu remedy