Roasted Red Pepper Tomato Soup
This creamy and healthy roasted red pepper tomato soup recipe from scratch is better than any store-bought soup. Ready in minutes & kids love it!
- Author: Tiffany
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 15 mins
- Yield: 4 2-cup servings 1x
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stove top, blend
- Cuisine: American
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 Tbsp butter OR olive oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1–28 oz can peeled whole tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken stock (how to make chicken stock in a slow cooker)
- 1–2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup milk OR cream OR half & half (optional)
- First, char the red bell pepper by roasting it. You can do this by putting in the oven, directly on the grate under the broiler; on top of the gas stove, holding with a pair of long, stainless steel tongs; or on the grill. Set the pepper aside.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium pot over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook until the onions are translucent, taking care not to burn the garlic.
- Add the tomatoes and chicken stock and bring to a simmer.
- If desired, peel the outside skin of the pepper off before placing it into the pot of soup. Otherwise, pull the stem off the pepper (it should easily come off) and place the whole pepper – seeds and membranes and skin – into the pot.
- Using an immersion blender, blend everything together until smooth. Alternatively, blend in batches in a blender (but be careful – it will be hot).
- Add salt and pepper to taste. If desired, finish with milk or cream before serving.
Keywords: Roasted red pepper tomato soup