Homemade Apple Butter
Learn how to make homemade apple butter in the slow cooker! Sweeten with honey (optional) and use apple peels. Perfect for canning – plus four flavors!
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 14 hours
- Total Time: 14 hours
- Yield: 1 quart 1x
- Category: Sauces/Condiments
- Method: Slow cooker
- Cuisine: American
- 6lbs apples (washed, quartered and seeds removed)
- 1/4 cup honey (optional)
- Put the apples with the skin on and honey into a slow cooker (I use this one). Cover with the lid and turn on high for 4-6 hours, but no longer than 8 hours.
- Reduce heat to low for 8-12 hours.
- Puree fruit using an immersion blender (I have this one), or in batches with a blender (I use this one). Be careful since the fruit will be very hot.
- With the pureed fruit in the crockpot, prop at least one side of the lid open with a knife or chopstick. This allows the water inside to evaporate, thickening the apple butter.
- Cook on low for 2-6 hours, until apple butter is desired thickness.
- Store fruit in glass jars in the freezer, refrigerator or can using these basic steps.
Keywords: Homemade apple butter