Slow Cooker Beans
How to Cook Beans in Crock Pot. Easy way to save money on healthy food. Hands-off slow cooker beans freeze well and they’re perfect for vegan diets!
- Author: Tiffany
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 hours
- Total Time: 5 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Sides
- Method: Slow Cook
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Gluten Free
- ½ lb dry beans
- ½ tsp salt
- Pick over the beans to remove any debris or discolored beans. Discard the ugly beans and place the good beans in a large stock pot.
- Fill the pot with water, covering the beans by about 2 inches.
- Place the pot on a burner and bring the water just to a boil. Turn the burner off and cover the pot with a lid. Let the beans sit overnight, or at least 8 hours.
- Pour the beans into a colander and then back into the pot. Cover the beans with water, swish the beans around with your hands and then discard the water. Repeat this process two more times to completely rinse the beans.
- Repeat steps 2-4 for a second soak. (The second soak is optional, but best to eliminate as many of the gas-causing enzymes as possible.)
- Place soaked beans in a slow cooker, filling the slow cooker with water and covering the beans with about 2 inches of water.
- Add aromatics and/or salt if using and cook the beans on low for 5-6 hours, or on high for 3-4 hours. Check the beans for doneness at the 5 hour or 3 hour mark respectively, cooking for longer as needed and checking every 30 minutes.
- Once the beans are done, remove from the slow cooker and drain. Measure into 2 cup portions and use immediately, or freeze for future meals.
- If you want to flavor the beans so that they are tastier as a side dish, you can add bay leaves, peeled garlic cloves or dried herbs to the beans at the start of the cooking process.
- This is entirely optional, and it’s up to you how much of these aromatics you use, or if you use any at all. Also, some people like to cook the beans in chicken broth, or add ground cumin for flavor.
Keywords: slow cooker beans