Comments

Hi Natalie,

That happened to me just last week! Mold on the surface of the starter isn’t a big deal. With a clean spoon, carefully scrape off the mold – take care not to stir it into the rest of the starter. Then get another clean spoon and scrape off another layer, just in case. Continue feeding/using as you originally intended.

If your schedule allows, trying adding a couple stirs throughout the day, after the 2-3 hours of feeding. Stirring should help prevent the stagnant environment that mold likes.

1. Janetan says

hi there!
    i wonder if you ever over proof your dough?? mine become non elastic when the dough over proofed. the surface of the dough have many hole that even you tried so hard to shape it but it just couldn’t have smooth surface but only many hole then if you moving to the final stage and bake it, the result is the bread collapse and become as hard as rock.. then i use the over proofed dough as a starter and feed it once a day for three days. then i start the making bread process again and voila!! the result is good..

Hi Janetan! Yep, I have overproofed. Turned out like a brick! That’s partly why I haven’t tried a double rise yet, but it’s nice to know that overproofed dough can be worked back into a starter again!

2. Janetan says

hi Tiffany,
    recently i saw a Taiwan video about the temperature (between 24c-27c) of the dough during the first rise to control the taste of the bread. have you ever heard about this? here Malaysia, there isn’t much people using sourdough to make bread.

Hi Janetan!

Keeping the dough between 75-80 degrees F makes sense. That’s the temperature of a “warm spot” and keeping it within that range ensures a consistent rise. It would be a long rise, thus a more sour taste. My house is naturally 68, and my heating pad is 100. I’d love to find a happy place in the middle! ;)

3. Janetan says

Hi Tiffany,
    here in my house the temp is more than 100. but normally i would just let the dough rise for first 4 hours then shape and final proofing for 2 hours. the bread isn’t sour at all, the secret is the starter must be super active healthy and the room temp must be around 30-32C. i have been baking with sourdough starter for more then a year and ever since i started, my baker’s instant yeast just sat quietly in the freezer..poor thing~

My baker’s yeast has been sitting too! Thanks for the tips Janetan – and your house is HOT! I’ve adjusted to the temperate climate here and we complain at 75 degrees, lol. If I visited you, I wonder if I’d melt! ;)

4. Janetan says

hi Tiffany,
    don’t worry, Malaysia is both hot and humid throughout the year. guess you won’t melt so easily just sweating a lot..

5. Robin says

Hi Tiffany,
    Wondering if you could help me…made a gluten free starter back in the beginning of December. Baked my first loaf of bread in a cast iron dutch oven…ooooh did it turn out perfect! Crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. Made another one and there was a good size ‘pocket’ in it, but still edible. I made the third one and there was a HUGE ”pocket’ in it… totally inedible…not even the birds will eat this disaster. Any ideas?

• says

Hi Robin!

Since your oven hasn’t changed (or at least I’m assuming it hasn’t!), the likely culprit could be not kneading well enough to get all the gas out, greasing a bowl during an early rise (when this grease mixing w/flour as you knead it creates dry pockets where air can seep in), not having a super tight shaped loaf, or not slashing the loaf before baking.

That could be information overload, but hopefully one of these will trigger some ideas for you. Maybe coincide with any changes you’ve made to your loaves when comparing #1 to #3? Hope this helps!!

• Robin says

Wow!!! Thank you so much for the prompt response! Hmmm…I have to grease the dutch oven because there is only one rise and when baking gluten free you don’t have to ‘knead’ the dough. But it caught my eye when you said ‘not having a super tight shaped loaf’…maybe that is it. With my first one I may have pushed the dough flatter in the dutch oven and then shaped it into a dome. I will try that. I was just wondering if the ‘starter’ could be a little too ‘excited’ and that would cause air…

Hi Tiffany,
    My starter of about 5-6 days is bubbling very, very little and certainly not doming. It’s in a wide-mouth quart jar and being fed 2-3 times a day. I only use filtered water. I’m stirring with a plastic chopstick since I read you should not use metal utensils. Any ideas why it’s not bubbling much?

Hi Vicky,

I would try using a bigger container, like a bowl. The quart jar is great for the first few days, but I found that when it’s moved to a bigger space with more room to breathe it does better. Also, are you pouring any starter out? Did I say not to use metal? I use metal spoons, lol!