Comments

What a great use of leftover coffee grounds and oatmeal! It really sounds like a decadent dessert, and I love that there are some healthy ingredients in there to make it less guilty. I am going to pin this and I see myself making it in the very near future :)

I also try hard to avoid wasting food. It happens at my house too, because life has a habit of getting in the way of my plans, but I think it’s fantastic to make concerted efforts at utilizing good food. Glad you shared this on Natural Living Monday!

Yum! I make oatmeal for my daughters, and they often don’t eat it all so I’ll put it in pancakes for them the next day. I bet we’d all enjoy this too! :-)

3. Tara Steele says

Hi, Tiffany,

I am about to make this with leftover oatmeal — it uses some brewed leftover coffee, not the grounds, yes? Someone said she was using the grounds which might be cool but a bit too crunchy for my taste.

I’ll let you know how company tonight likes it.

Tara

Yes Tara, use the coffee, not the grounds – although the coffee is completely optional. No need to make some if you don’t already have some made. :) I hope your company likes it!!

• Tara Steele says

This was absolutely delicious and very easy to make. I was surprised at how tasty and rich textured it was. Didn’t have any leftover coffee, did have some raisins in the morning oatmeal so I added a few more. Outstanding recipe — I will intentionally make extra oatmeal now and then for this recipe, with its quite easy ingredients. I used butter rather than coconut oil because was easier to measure lol.

Tara

4. Kara says

I had to comment because this recipe is SO similar to my all time favorite cake from childhood that my grandma used to make! :) I’ve never seen another version of it. Hers uses more chocolate chips (both mixed into the batter AND sprinkled on top), and adds chopped nuts on top too. I’ve adapted it to use whole grains and honey (http://homewithpurpose.net/2013/07/nannys-oatmeal-chocolate-chip-cake-an-all-time-favorite.html) and make it on a regular basis…it’s a staple at family and church gatherings for us! I’m going to have to add the coffee next time! I never thought to do that, though I do add teecino (which is similar) to my sourdough chocolate cake.

Hi Kara! More chocolate is never a bad thing. :) I hadn’t thought of considering it for church gatherings… that would make my life MUCH easier knowing I could just use leftover oatmeal, lol. Sourdough chocolate cake? Oh my!

5. Kelly says

This was amazing!! My mom has a bad habit of leaving her oatmeal in the microwave because she’s in too big a rush to take time and eat it. I tried eating it by adding bananas and honey into it, but I really wasn’t in the mood for oatmeal. I searched up how to use leftover oatmeal, and came across this! I used coconut sugar, nonfat Greek yogurt, and dark chocolate chunks instead. I’m so hooked onto it now!! It tastes soo good and it feels nice knowing that it’s not that bad for my health. :-) Thanks so much for posting!

I just made this delicious cake.
    It is so easy, tender, chocolatey, moist and thrifty!
    Will defintely be making this again and again!
    Thanks for the post!

7. Jennifer says

This is amazing! I made it today after soaking the wheat flour in the yogurt overnight. My leftover steel cut oatmeal had also been soaked before it was cooked. When I made the oatmeal I added cashews, almonds and walnuts in the soak, so those were incorporated, too! It came out so good! I can’t wait for my son to fall asleep for nap time so I can go sneak some more! Thank you for this great recipe!!

8. Janice says

The link to “From Garbage to Gourmet” is broken, as it appears to be on every other blog I tried. Do you know what’s going on?

Hi Janice! The author of the book had to commit her time to her family, and therefore wasn’t able to support the book anymore. A shame, since it was a great product! :(