Comments

I just found your site last night from gnowfglins Simple Thursday (at least I *think* that’s how I found you ;-)). Thank you for sharing all you do here. I really, really….ok, REALLY need to get a handle on our grocery budget somehow! Granted there are 9 of us in our family, AND we are on GAPS, but seriously, I spend close to $500 at BJ’s alone, for our two week shopping!!!!! Nevermind Walmart, Aldis and Whole Foods. Maybe I should assign everyone a day they get to eat? ha, ha!! Just kidding. I think I should have to get stricter about menu planning. Menu planning was my thing…until GAPS. I think it is just too depressing to see the same meals over and over and over again, ad nauseum. So I haven’t done one in a few months. Sorry, didn’t intend to write a novel :-) I’ve been encouraged to get more on top of things, so thank you for sharing!!

Blessings,
    Kerri

Welcome Kerri!

I LOVE your novel! You’re certainly not the first to publish their work in the comments section, lol. :)

Getting a firm grip on the grocery budget is *I think* key to getting a handle on what we put in our mouths. Knowing you only have so much to spend makes us think twice about expensive and sometimes unnecessary items!

Seeing your GAPS plan in writing may be boring, but it will definitely help with having a purpose behind your purchases. You can do it! Thanks for coming by Kerri; I hope to see you again! ~Tiffany

2. Amy says

I got back on my menu plan this week. I’ve also rededicated myself to using up what we have and getting a handle on our food waste. It drives me batty when I have to throw something out because I didn’t follow my “plan” for it.

Amy,

Way to go on getting back in the groove! Don’t be afraid to pencil in a leftover night. With my grandma in town, I cooked TWICE the entire week – every other night was either dinner at their house or us eating leftovers from meals at their house – including all the lunches! She’s been gone for 2 days and we finally finished it all. I’d rather eat leftovers for a week than throw away food. It drives me batty too! ~Tiffany

3. Heather says

I also have a love/hate relationship with World Market. They have so many things that I remember from my childhood. (I grew up in the military and so the food section is like a trip back to shopping with my mom).
    Did you know that you can make tahini at home at it is super easy. We thought it would take a lot of time and special equipment but you just need an oven and a food processor. We buy the sesame seeds from Sprouts and make our own all the time. And it saves a ton of money.

I knew it, but didn’t realize how easy it was. Whole Foods sells sesame seeds so I’ll price those out the next time I’m there and need tahini. I can imagine how fun it would be to shop at World Market, recognizing all the fun different foods! ~Tiffany

4. Emily says

Tahini is really easy to make and a lot cheaper than buying it. All you need is sesame seeds and olive oil, and a food processor. Toast the seeds (either in the oven or in a dry frying pan over med-low heat, stirring occasionally), then grind them up in your food processor with as much olive oil as it takes to get to the consistency you like – drizzle it in as it’s running. You’ll have to scrape the edges down a few times, but it’s super easy and pretty quick. It also lasts a long time in the fridge, so you can make a large batch at once and have it on hand for whenever you need it. :D

Emily,

Thanks for the awesome tutorial! I thought it was easy, but haven’t had a chance to look it up. I’ll have to give it a try when this bottle is gone. Thanks again! ~Tiffany

5. Leah says

Can you give us your homemade hummus recipe? Our family has just started enjoying hummus. Homemade will probably be better and cheaper!