Comments

Oh my, this looks so comforting!
    I would love to have you share this and/or any other recipe of yours at Wednesday Extravaganza – my Link Party with a special something. There is a pretty nice Giveaway going on this week too!
    Can’t wait to see you there!

2. Jennifer says

What about using white wheat flour to avoid using refined white flour? Do you think I would need to add more water?

Jennifer,

I’ve substituted white whole wheat flour for nearly all of the bread recipes for half of the flour listed and haven’t run into any problems yet. If you use all whole wheat flour, try sifting the flour first and possibly adding one tablespoon of vital wheat gluten (only if you have it). Another option would be to use butter instead of the oil (butter helps with the rise too) and let it rise a bit longer. White whole wheat isn’t as fickle as regular whole wheat, so there’s a really good chance it’ll come out great without any other changes. Please let us know how it turns out if you try it. I’m anxious to see how it would turn out, but I can only eat so much bread at a time, lol! ~Tiffany

3. Melissa says

I just made this for the first time and used half AP and half white wheat flour. It wasn’t looking promising, so I decided to make another one with all AP flour. Well, they both came out delicious! As a matter of fact, my husband preferred the one with white wheat flour! :)

Great news Melissa, on both the loaves coming out nice, and your husband preferring the wheat flour! We really like the combination of partial whole wheat too. Have you tried spelt or kamut before? Delicious grains!

• Melissa says

No, I haven’t but I want to! I don’t have a flour mill, and the pre-ground spelt and kamut seem pricey. Any suggestions on where to purchase it for a decent price?

I’d try Whole Foods bulk section. You can get just a pound or two and see if you like them, and see how fast you go through them. It’s much slower since it’s usually in combination with other flours. :)