Comments

Oh my, this looks so comforting!
    I would love to have you share this and/or any other recipe of yours at Wednesday Extravaganza – my Link Party with a special something. There is a pretty nice Giveaway going on this week too!
    Can’t wait to see you there!

2. Jennifer says

What about using white wheat flour to avoid using refined white flour? Do you think I would need to add more water?

Jennifer,

I’ve substituted white whole wheat flour for nearly all of the bread recipes for half of the flour listed and haven’t run into any problems yet. If you use all whole wheat flour, try sifting the flour first and possibly adding one tablespoon of vital wheat gluten (only if you have it). Another option would be to use butter instead of the oil (butter helps with the rise too) and let it rise a bit longer. White whole wheat isn’t as fickle as regular whole wheat, so there’s a really good chance it’ll come out great without any other changes. Please let us know how it turns out if you try it. I’m anxious to see how it would turn out, but I can only eat so much bread at a time, lol! ~Tiffany

3. Melissa says

I just made this for the first time and used half AP and half white wheat flour. It wasn’t looking promising, so I decided to make another one with all AP flour. Well, they both came out delicious! As a matter of fact, my husband preferred the one with white wheat flour! :)

Great news Melissa, on both the loaves coming out nice, and your husband preferring the wheat flour! We really like the combination of partial whole wheat too. Have you tried spelt or kamut before? Delicious grains!

• Melissa says

No, I haven’t but I want to! I don’t have a flour mill, and the pre-ground spelt and kamut seem pricey. Any suggestions on where to purchase it for a decent price?

I’d try Whole Foods bulk section. You can get just a pound or two and see if you like them, and see how fast you go through them. It’s much slower since it’s usually in combination with other flours. :)

Hi John! I’ve never tried that before, but I’m sure it could work. Don’t be surprised though if the rise is pretty significant, since there’s only one rise in the entire recipe. :)

4. Tiffany says

I’m new to the baking scene and was wondering if I could make the dough in a bread machine on the dough setting, and then bake it per the recipe’s instructions? Also, how long should I bake it and at what temperature, if I put the dough in a 9×13 glass pan instead of two 9×9 pans? Thanks for your help!

Hi Tiffany! If your machine doesn’t have the rise, then yes you can do that. The bread only has one rise in this recipe, and it needs to be in the pan. To bake for one 9×13, the bake time should be roughly the same, maybe adding just a few minutes more? But it wasn’t a significant difference when I tested a larger batch. :)

5. Darlene says

Curious as to why you have a link to pinterest (and I follow you), but then don’t have a pin button of any sort so that we can pin your posts. Seems like it defeats the purpose of following you.
    I only have internet access through my cell phone and the pinterest app they have always crashes my phone, so it’s useless for pinning on sites where there is no pin button.
    Would love to have the ability to pin your recipes.Will you add a pin button and then I can pin you directly?
    Thanks!

Hi Darlene! If you hover over pictures, a “pin it” button should appear so you can share the posts. Thanks for sharing!!

6. Darlene says

Thank you for replying.
    I was able to get 2 recipes pinned by just tapping the picture. And then….doesn’t work any more. I’m on a cell phone, so hovering isn’t possible. Tapping causes the picture to go to the photo only page and lightly touching screen does the same thing. Holding the picture causes a menu screen to pop up. Don’t know what I did differently to get those two recipes to show the pin button.
    Oh, well. Just the same, the recipes you post still look very delicious.

Trackbacks