Comments

1. Shanna says

I also have been price-matching for a long time @ Walmart. Our Walmart does not require you to bring in the ads they take your word for it & I rarely ever have a problem. I do coupon tho. Which of course makes the deals better.

I’m also a walgreens (or used to be Walgreens shopper) & a CVS shopper but I found that when Walgreens (or Wags as we like to call it in the coupon world, lol) went to their points system & basically did away with a lot of their rr’s I found in the end I didn’t really care. Shocking yes :)

I also found I was going ever Monday to get the best deals & fretting if something was out. Now it’s like a relief almost to know I don’t have to get up every Monday & rush out the door. Don’t get me wrong I still shop at CVS & I do love getting a great deal for my family & being thrifty but it’s only once or twice a month now.

So in summary: I understand where your coming from & even tho I do use coupons I have learned not to get caught up in all the hype (I hate, yes a strong word but called for, the show extreme couponers. Not realistic at all) & to let it consume me.

Very good posts you have written & an excellant read for those who are starting out couponing or been at it for a long time. So thank you for writing it.

Wags required a degree in rocket science BEFORE the changes. I don’t dare step a foot into the store unless I’m picking up a free 8×10 collage. ;)

The Monday Shopping – I totally relate! My whole week used to be planned around Monday and what I was or wasn’t able to buy. Not having the feeling of “I still need to go back to Rite Aid to see if their shipment came in” is a big relief. Couponing can be a hype, especially if it’s not kept in perspective. I deal with it best when I look at it as a tool to save money, rather than a hobby or even part of my domestic responsibilities.

2. Debbie says

I have used the ad matching years ago, and found that Walmart cashiers are unfamiliar with their policies and it became a hassle for me to shop there. I would ad match and use coupons (back in the day, prior to our pantry building), but then Walmart (the only store in my area that matches ads) began carrying only certain sizes of items. It wasn’t worth the aggravation and time consumption on my part.

Ad matching is the same concept as the “Tightwad Gazette” topic of buying items you use at the lowest possible price. the price book would help with this to verify that the prices are indeed “the best”.

We have Aldi’s and Sharp Shopper in my area now. I use both stores every two weeks to get the items I use to feed my family of five (includes three teens). Our budget is 300 a month, and I am faithful to both of those stores.

I still enjoy looking over the sale papers on Saturday.

I ran into those same Wal-Mart cashier issues too, but now a couple years later they’ve seemed to have caught on, lol. We don’t have an Aldi in our area, but I’d guess that Grocery Outlet is something similar. They don’t take coupons, but their prices are often the equivalent or lower than if I had used a coupon, which is why I often shop there first. $300 for a growing family of 5 is incredible. Keep up the good work Debbie!

3. karen b says

I do use coupons(have for years, before it became popular) but only use for items we use. I have now tried to use when item is on sale but if it doesn’t work out I don’t beat myself up about it. I do not print out coupons only use the ones that come in our sunday paper, although my mil does save hers also for me & that helps. Unfortantely we do not have any local cheaper stores like Aldi or Sharpshopper so I watch sales & buy mostly @ Kroger.

That’s smart Karen. I wish I had a great newspaper source like you. I’ve heard Kroger has good deals, like discounts when you buy 10. I’d shop there too if we had them locally!

4. Elysha says

Why’d you quit couponing? Do you have a post about that somewhere? I ask because I’ve never gotten good at couponing. I find it tedious and our family doesn’t eat the processed food that most coupons are good for. I TRY to coupon, but I’m just wondering if I should continue to bother with something that does not fit my personality, and that causes more stress than relaxation.

Hi, my name is Theresa, and I used to be a coupon addict. ;)
    These 2 posts have been a breath of fresh air. I used to coupon, and come home with a bunch of stuff that we didn’t need. I had to stop! Most of the great deals are for processed foods that we have been trying to eliminate (I hate hamburger helper, yet we had 10 or so boxes). Another instance, I had 12 bottles of (free) Kraft BBQ sauce, we like Sweet Baby Ray’s.
    I had to quit. I tucked my coupon folder, and shopping bag of coupons waiting to be cut deep into the cupboard, and vowed not to look at them unless I absolutely could not function without them. (Like freezing your credit card.) I loaded all of our unusable (to us) stockpile, and donated it to the church’s food pantry. Instant relief!

*Our Wal-mart has a bullentin board by the customer service desk of the competitors’ ads. The cashiers also have a little list of the best deals, just mention the deal and bam! You got it.

Thank you for these posts, it is sometimes defeating, thinking that only the best moms/wives are couponers.

LOL – your kitchen sounds a lot like mine did. I’m glad you found these posts encouraging. I think we all have to do what’s best in our OWN circumstances. Sometimes it’s couponing, sometimes it’s not. :)

I really appreciate this post, I used to be an avid couponer, too, but then I moved to a small town and have had a harder time of it. But we do have a Walmart, so I’m going to hang on to your article, so I can figure out better how to price match. Thanks for linking up!

Thanks for hosting – I’m glad you found this helpful. Living in a smaller town can have its challenges, which is why I price match more often too!

7. Mixed Kreations says

I just started price matching about two months ago. The first time I tried it, I saved $26.00 now my average savings is anywhere from $15 to $30 a week. But my biggest savings started when I plan what we are going to eat around what is on sale that week instead of just buying because I can use it in the price matching that week. Now instead of spending around $100 or more a week I spend around $60. I just started couponing about two weeks ago after watching “coupondivas.com” not sure how long it will last but I’m going to give I a try. But I will only buy what we will use.

Recently I shopped at CVS and earned cash back on what I bought plus I had coupons, I made two transactions and got detergent, dish soap, two tooth paste, shampoo, and toilet paper and only spent $3.50. I was so thrilled over that purchase. I still have a lot to learn and this all takes a little bit of time each week, but I really enjoy trying to see how much I can save each week.

I think the hardest concept to really take hold of is buying for a purpose vs. buying because it’s a good deal. This covers both couponing and price matching. If you can master that, you’ll be set to save!

8. Jen says

Thank you for this post. I have a sister who is a super couponer. I find myself comparing how much I spend on groceries to how much she spends and always feeling guilty because I no longer coupon. I hate the feeling of HAVING to get the best deal and hit every sale. I have three little kids and this is just not the time or season for me to spend so much time on couponing. This post was so validating for me. I haven’t ever price matched, but I’m going to try it. I figure even if I’m only saving a few dollars per grocery trip, it will add up. Thank you!

You’re most welcome Jen! I believe there is a season for everything, and couponing was great when my two were super little and in diapers. Now, not so much. :) Price matching is really easy, and can definitely save over time. The key though is to still not buy anything you won’t already eat! :)