Comments

1. Jessica says

Im so glad you have been talking about Trader Joes and how affordable it is! I discovered this a few years ago, but when I tell people I shop there they look at me like I am crazy for wasting my money by shopping at such an “expensive” store. My most recent price discovery= Organic Milk! We made the switch to organic a couple months ago and I have just been buying it at Costco thinking it would be the cheapest: enter Trader Joes! I think a gallon is $3.49 at Trader Joes and at Costco I was paying almost $11 for two gallons. I’m not a math person but thats a couple dollar difference, I was happy!! Now I dont have to feel guilty for buying organic milk :)

I think the stigma is that since the majority of products are Trader Joe-brand, and TJ-brand items are free of additives/preservatives/GMO’s, that they in turn must be expensive. I thought this myself until I actually walked into the store and saw the prices with my own two eyes!

That is a fantastic price for organic milk! Until now, I was convinced that Costco had the best price in town. Even if it’s only a few dollar, that can make a big difference in the long run. Especially with three growing kids!!

2. Lavern says

I’m going there today!:) Thank you for taking time out to prepare this list. I love Tjoes I happily lug groceries on the Subway because they are so much cheaper than the grocery store near my home!

3. Lisa says

ditto, ditto, ditto on this post! thanks for the price list since i’m always comparing and usually find that TJs is less expensive than Sams/Costco! by the way, i believe the chocolate chips are 1.99 or 2.29…i keep a good stock in my cupboards, and what a price!

4. Olga St. P says

Thank you so much for the list! I have been working on doing a notebook with price comparisons. I can tell you that the gallon of TJ Organic Milk here in NJ (Princeton and Marlton area) is $5.79, which is just about the same as Shop Rite Brand 1 gallon, at $5.49. I will have to compare other prices that you listed to ours on the East Coast. :)

5. Scott says

Great article. One thing I’ve found having moved from Boston to Los Angeles is some things are cheaper out here in California. I believe due to transportation costs. A bottle of their Charles Shaw wine in Boston was $2.99. Here in L.A. (closer to the vineyard) is $2.49.

Same with a pound of Organic Carrots. BOS $.99 LAX $.79

Scott,

Thanks for including the price differences from coast to coast. Transportation costs would also explain why most produce is affordable year round (most of it is grown here!). ~Tiffany

I agree TJ products are probably more expensive on the east coast. I buy TJ organic milk for $5.99/gallon in VA- it’s been about that price for as long as i’ve been buying it – about 8 or 9 years. Another reason i buy TJ milk is that it’s not “UP” – ultra pasteurized – This is when they heat the milk to a super high temperature to kill everything in it (almost all other grocery store milk is UP – even the organic ones). When I tried to make cheese, i could only make it with TJ milk because all the other milks were “dead” from the pasteurization process.

anyway – i found this post because i’m trying to justify switching to local organic grass fed milk i found, but it’s $3.49 for a quart!! How to justify the cost of that? i’m trying to figure that out–one thing that bothers me about TJ milk is that it does come from so far away – and in a plastic bottle. although organic, it’s not really sustainable at all. this milk comes from PA and comes in a reusable glass milk bottle. sorry to ramble – so much to think about…

Deb,

I’ve found a few grocery store brands that aren’t UP, but we must definitely read labels. Surprisingly, my local store’s organic milk is from grass-fed cows! (I found myself bored, reading that label and was pleasantly surprised. :) ) Don’t count any brand or maker out – you may be pleasantly surprised too!

No need to apologize for rambling; your thoughts are always welcome. Real food decisions often include much to consider – baby steps. :) ~Tiffany

• marsa says

I think the taste difference is worth it but to be honest we only go through 2 quarts a month, neither me or s/o loves milk and we rarely have kids in the house. My local independent grocery sells local milk that is pasteurized with low heat, pastured, organic and not homogenized (so theres real cream on the top – like 2 layers thick!) so delicious. My boyfriend brought me a glass of milk while I was upstairs and it was gross to me, much more like water than anything else, when I asked him what was wrong with it, if it was accidentally skim or something, he told me it was store brand organic (we had run out), that experience alone made me decide to just keep the local milk, whatever the cost!